Sign in to follow this  
Juliet

Uninstalling Conduit SearchProtect deletes NTLDR making Windows XP Unb

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522327/uninstalling-conduit-searchprotect-deletes-ntldr-making-windows-xp-unbootable/

Uninstalling Conduit SearchProtect deletes NTLDR making Windows XP Unbootable

A common adware called Conduit SearchProtect, which changes your browser's homepage to Conduit.com, is causing major problems for users of Windows XP who uninstall it. When users uninstall Conduit SearchProtect from Add or Remove Programs in Windows XP, they find on reboot that Windows XP is no longer able to start. Instead they will be greeted with a message stating "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

Edited by Juliet

I hate this conduit search bar with a vengeance.

I don't know how many of these 'infections' I have removed lately. Fortunately no XP machines...I wish people would read what they are installing.

I've removed it twice in one week from a neighbours pc; after I removed Driver update rubbish that conduit bundled itself with he then goes and installs some shopperoo / icandy tool bar that guess what;also has conduit bundled in.

This is only going to get worse for XP users as they are going to be open to all kinds of exploits soon.

This is only going to get worse for XP users as they are going to be open to all kinds of exploits soon.

This is true.

It's been said malware scriptors are already in action to exploit XP machines come April.

The conduit search bar is annoying... the search add-on is a royal pain. Both will make your system to slow to operate... but it is the search protect that will bork your machine and make it a brick.

This is the one that the current fuss is about:

AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\SearchProtect\SearchProtect\bin\SPVC32Loader.dll