Sign in to follow this  
dickster

Mint 16 Cinnamon not starting after reboot

Rebooted my system and now Mint 16 Cinnamon won't start. It gets to the screen that says "Linux Mint" with 4 dots below. The dots change color like it's trying to load but it just hangs there. It will boot from the cd to the options menu after the LM logo. I haven't gone any further because I don't want to lose anything.

Any ideas?

I am certainly no expert and I have learned a lot from this forum, especially in regards to my post about a continually failed boot, but could there have been a kernel update?

Of the 17 times I did a fresh install and failed all 17 times, it was the kernel update that was the problem, especially in regards to corresponding with the Graphics Driver. See my post: Kubuntu boots to black screen no cursor after kernel updates.

I believe on my NVidia computer I did get the exact same problem that you did on one occasion. It is because I was not able to update the Graphics Driver to correspond with the new kernel.

From what I have learned from the outstanding support I have received from the brilliant individuals here on this Forum, every time there is a kernel update you have to update the corresponding Graphics Driver so it can work with the new kernel BEFORE rebooting.

Edited by luvpats