Sign in to follow this  
luvpats

Kubuntu boots to black screen no cursor after installing updates 1/15/

On January 6 I installed a daily build of Kubuntu 14.04. Ran great until 1/14/14 after installing updates I booted to a black screen no cursor. I shut down the computer and restarted to a boot menu and booted into recovery mode and chose the latest kernel and ran whatever fixes I was allowed to run. That got me booting normally to the desktop but as soon as I rebooted again I got a black screen no cursor.

So I started fresh this morning 1/15/14 and immediately ran all updates through the Muon Package Manager and after the updates had completely installed once again booted to a black screen no cursor. So I again booted into recovery mode and was able to boot to desktop. After immediately rebooting I once again got a black screen no cursor. So it must be an update that is preventing booting normally.

If anyone is able to assist I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Update: I just tried another fresh install this evening before posting this, immediately installed the updates and the same exact situation keeps happening. I can boot to the desktop through recovery mode but if I reboot I once again get a black screen no cursor.

On the morning install went through the Muon Update Manager and installed the updates that were presented to me.

On the evening install I went through the Muon Package Manager and installed the updates that were presented to me.

I believe there is a "check for updates" box on the Muon Package Manager that I clicked on.

The Muon Update Manager automatically checked for the updates.

Can't do much to help with a problem related to a specific update if we don't know what the update is.

I would highly recommend looking at updates when they are presented to you and making sure you know exactly what will be changed on your system.

This morning 1/16 I booted into recovery mode and chose an earlier kernel version. Then I chose the GRUB repair option. I was able to boot to the Desktop and everything worked fine except when I rebooted once again I got a black screen with no cursor. So maybe the problem is with the GRUB and it looks like I have a new kernel installed and it may be also causing problems.

Is there a way to not install the new kernel when installing the updates? Would the kernel be listed in the updates and would there be a way to prevent the new kernel from installing?

Is there a way to repair the GRUB permanently so I can reboot normally? Maybe there is a conflict in the GRUB with the kernel issue.

I don't know much about this so if anyone can assist I would very much appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

You have the option what to install and what not to. Again I highly recommend looking at what updates are going to be installed. Nothing is forcing you to install packages.

Well let's see. . .I just did the whole thing again. . .there are three hundred and thirty seven updates to chose from. . .so which one is the bad one?

I think the problem resides in the GRUB Bootloader. it may be confused with the new kernel update but I am not sure. This is my first time utilizing Linux. So I guess it is back to Windows I go. . .I give up. . .

sounds like a graphics problem, it boots into safe mode with no problems after the updates so i'd guess you need to re-install the drivers again to work with the new kernel to get it to boot to a desktop in normal mode.

:b33r:

OK. . .can anyone please give me the instructions so I can reinstall the graphics drivers to work with the new kernel?

I can boot to the desktop through recovery mode only if I select GRUB Bootloader option. It doesn't matter what kernel I select just as long as select the GRUB Bootloader option. Any other options just reboots to a black screen with no cursor.

It only boots to safe mode if I shut down the computer completely and turn the computer back on. If I just restart without shutting down then it boots to a black screen no cursor.

Also when it hangs on a black screen no cursor there is no hard drive activity at all. None.

Being that I installed a daily version of 14.04 and the actual current version is 13.10 Beta 1 maybe a kernel that is for the 13.10 Beta 1 is being installed and overriding the kernel for the 14.04 daily version?

Also when I am able to boot to the Desktop via the Recovery Mode all programs work just fine. There are no error messages.

So if anyone has the Konsole commands to reinstall the graphics drivers and I can do those from the Terminal.

However if I reboot normally I will get a black screen no cursor. I have to completely shut down and restart to get the Recovery option.

Thank you again for any assistance you are able to provide.

Being that I installed a daily version of 14.04 and the actual current version is 13.10 Beta 1 maybe a kernel that is for the 13.10 Beta 1 is being installed and overriding the kernel for the 14.04 daily version?

i use ubuntu (not Kubuntu) and i am using the development release (14.04) as well. i know that the 3.13-x kernels were just added earlier this week...perhaps that is what is causing you're issues?

i had been trying the 3.13-x kernels long before they were added to the repositories and was having problems with the new kernels and nvidia drivers until the drivers were finally patched. the kernels are first released as "rc" candidates (release candidates) and are numbered as such...3.13-rc1, 3.13-rc2, 3.13-rc3, etc.. i could not find one that worked with my video card until rc7 came out. that was when the nvidia drivers were finally patched to work with the 3.13 kernels. the drivers plus the 3.13-x kernels are working perfectly for me now.

i do not know what video card you are using (did not see it mentioned unless i missed it), and i am not familiar with the "muon" package manager (i use synaptic)...but it sounds to me like you are having issues with the 3.13-x kernel versions since they released in the repos right around the time you started to have problems. i would suggest booting up to the latest 3.12-x kernel that works, and once you are booted up....uninstall the 3.13 kernel(s) which have been installed. stick with 3.12 until whatever video drivers you use are patched properly. in synaptic, there is an option to "lock" a particular package so that it does not update. not sure about the "muon" package manager, but there is probably a similar option there.

as bruce stated earlier...you can choose what updates are installed and which are not, so just uncheck the latest kernels (3.13-X) when running updates and they will not get added.

you are using (testing really) a development release of kubuntu and therefore should expect problems like this to arise. if you want a more stable running version....stick to 13.10. But if you are going to stick with using a development release, then you should consider reporting such bugs to the developers so they can be fixed before final release.

hope that makes some sense

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

Thank you so much for your insight.

I tried the old 3.12x kernel last night and when I rebooted I still got a black screen no cursor. Which is why I originally thought it was a GRUB Bootloader issue.

Today I went into the GRUB screen upon boot and chose the latest kernel but did not chose recovery mode, just the latest kernel by itself and replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" and I was able to boot to the desktop. When I rebooted I again got a black screen no cursor. So I shut down the computer and when I turned it back on and rebooted I went into recovery mode and again chose the latest kernel but did not do any other modifications. I just chose the latest kernel and then Ctrl-X. When the computer rebooted I got to a point where the booting process stopped at this line:

[70.624109] random: non:blocking pool is initialized

Nothing else happened after that line.

I have sent emails to two very knowledgable Kubuntu Developers/Experts and neither one has responded. I also posted in the Ubuntu Forum but no one has responded there either.

Maybe I should wait until the final release of 14.04 arrives in April?

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600

I am not dual booting.

If it is the kernel I would like to try and at least fix the issue normally rather than continue to boot into recovery mode so if it happens again on a regular release I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide for me.

I don't recall the kernel saying "rc" after it. I can go into recovery mode again and let you know the latest kernel version if that will help.

This is my first time utilizing Linux. So I guess it is back to Windows I go. . .I give up. . .

Don't give up yet. Can I suggest openSUSE for your Linux distro? I'm not familiar with Ubuntu and Muon, but openSUSE comes with YaST for system management and updating. It's a GUI package, no need for command line use (though there is zypper for that when you get more comfortable). If I can use it, a complete PC moron, you should be able to. It shows you what updates are there. If you have questions, you can Google them or just post up in here. There are real Linux gurus here at the Pit. Bruce is one, and like George (another guru) said, stick with stable releases and don't worry about daily builds - let the geeks work out the bugs first.

Please, give Linux a fair chance. When I first tried to dual boot my PC with Windows and Linux, I fried my whole system. It was people here at the Pit that got me back up and running.

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600

sorry, that is a pretty old system with an outdated video card which is no longer supported. you would be better off using a "lighter" version of linux....perhaps Lubuntu? i have used that on a few older systems and it works very well. Linux Mint may also work well on there.

i agree with Kurt....don't throw in the towel quite yet. there are alternative distros that will work well for you!

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

kubuntu will work fine on that system in my opinion, all he needs to do is sort out the driver problem.

i'd guess he's using legacy nvidia driver then updates and the legacy driver stops working so he either needs to uninstall the legacy driver and use the nouveau driver that's used in failsafe mode or find the correct legacy nvidia driver for kernel 3.13 if there is one and install that.

see if this link help :- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2195166

kubuntu will work fine on that system in my opinion, all he needs to do is sort out the driver problem.

no....it will not work fine on a 10 year old system. if it works at all, it will not be a pleasurable experience. forget about the full-blown Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSuse distros...as i said previously: find a suitable "lighter" distro such as Lubuntu for that old rig.

advising someone who is in their "first time utilizing Linux" to go in and hack the driver/kernel....is just not good advice at all. besides, the nvidia drivers have since been patched to work with the 3.13 kernels so that "hack" is not even necessary anymore.

edit: didn't mean for that to sound insulting terry...hope you don't take it that way. :)

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

Actually openSUSE with KDE would run fine on that system. I have installed it on several old machines like that. They ain't rocket ships but run well enough.

Now is it what I would use, not at all. Even back in the day when that would have been considered decent hardware I would have looked for better. Today unless someone is hanging on to such hardware because it is all they have and can't afford anything else then I help them get Linux running. That said I wouldn't even consider running daily builds on it. That would be like driving on a dark moonless night with no headlights on a stretch of road that changed direction constantly up down, left, right, around................. and then wondering why I keep running into things, crashing, and having difficulty keeping it together. :rofl3:

edit: didn't mean for that to sound insulting terry...hope you don't take it that way. :)

:IG:

no probs. :mrgreen:

like bruce i've run full desktop distro's on as old pc's, after all the minimum specs for kubuntu is something like 512gb ram and 100mhz cpu and 2gb hd, ok it won't be no speed demon but it will certainly work just fine.

didn't really read the link but editing 1 file and commenting out a few lines is not exactly what i'd call "hacking" a driver either. :P .

if you know there's a legacy driver for 3.13 you should list it for him, that's all he needs in my opinion to get his install booting fine after the updates, i certainly don't think there's a grub problem or anything else, otherwise it wouldn't work just fine in failsafe mode, after all the only real difference between that and normal mode is what video driver and such are used. ;)

so in my opinion all he needs is to boot into safe mode install the legacy nvidia driver, reboot and then he should get to a desktop in normal mode too.

been to long since i've used anything but suse so no idea where he'd get the driver but assume just adding an ubuntu repo or something should work for kubuntu.

Many thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it very much. I am NOT running Windows and Kubuntu side-by-side.

So here is an update:

Yes it was stupid of me to download and install a daily build. I agree. My bad.

Question:

Do the LTS versions only have one kernel and no updates to the kernel?

I have tried to run Kubuntu on two different P4 Machines, one with NVidia graphics, one with Intel graphics, seventeen different times (in other words, reformatting, fresh install seventeen times) and ALL 17 times have failed at one point or another. I was able to temporarily fix the black screen no cursor issue by doing a NVidia driver update. But just as soon as a new kernel came out. . .which seems to be every 4-5 days. . .I either got another black screen no cursor or I was able to boot to the desktop and the mouse and keyboard would not work. On the Intel graphics machine after the kernel update I got no further than the boot splash screen. I never was able to get the Intel graphics installer to work. It would not have mattered anyway. If I updated the NVidia driver and still got a black screen after the kernel upgrade I figure I would have gotten the same result with the Intel.

All 17 times I had to cold boot either machine. No reboot any other way.

I now realize I can skip the kernel update. But if kernel updates are going to be an every week occurence and a part of the normal security updates then why avoid them?

So if the new LTS due in April only has one kernel for the life of the version then it would work. But if there are going to be regular kernel updates it definitely won't work. I figure it I have trouble now with the kernel updates I am going to continue to have problems with LTS kernel updates, if there are any.

I may try Lubuntu but if there are regular kernel updates I also think I will have the same problems as I am having now.

I realize I have old machines. It just seems to me that if I can install Kubuntu just fine, then it should run fine even with kernel updates. But for me it doesn't. I've tried 17 times. Two different machines.

Kinda sad in a way. When I initially install Kubuntu on either machine, it runs great. No problems. When I upgraded the kernel all hell broke loose on both machines. So obviously Kubuntu runs fine on older machines. It is the kernel upgrades that are the problem. And I still don't understand why the kernel update is such a problem. And if the LTS versions have kernel upgrades there is no reason to even install either Kubuntu or Lubuntu as these problems will continue to occur. At least for me anyway.

Would it matter if it was Linux Mint, regular Ubuntu or any other distro? Kernel updates seem to be the problem. So if any other distro featured regular kernel updates wouldn't I be facing the same on-going black screens and cold boots?.

yes all distros have kernel updates including lts but nowhere near as often as your daily build does, and yes every time the kernel is updated you have to re-install the graphics drivers BUT with a normal distro and not a daily build one if you use a nvidia driver repo the needed driver for the new kernel will already be in there before the kernel is updated so when everything is updated and you do a reboot everything will/should carry on working as usual.

as you've found out you really didn't need to keep re-installing the distro after a kernel update because the os was installed and still working fine, all you really needed to do was learn to find and install the correct nvidia driver or use the nouveau driver or just rollback to the older kernel in safe mode (can get to the desktop.) then boot into normal mode.

if you really want to use kubuntu then the distro you should be running is the 13.10 32bit recommended latest release here or even the 64bit (i'd use.) :- http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

personally tho if you want to try a different distro with kde desktop i'd try suse 13.1 64bit don't forget to add the nvidia driver repo after install. :laughing: :- http://software.opensuse.org/131/en

Thank you for your input. However I can say that neither the NVidia driver nor the Intel driver was updated in the repo after the kernel update. To test this I ran the NVidia driver update when I first installed Kubuntu (kernel 3.12.07), which did install an upgraded driver, and then subsequently did a kernel update to 3.13.05 and then did another NVidia driver update scan. The four times I did this there was no driver update for the new kernel. I knew I was in trouble at that time and I was correct as I rebooted and either got a black screen or no keyboard or mouse on the NVidia and a complete stop at the Boot Spash screen on the Intel. Apparently the NVidia driver update will apply the correct architecture for the new kernel. But that didn't happen at all as there were no updates for the new kernel. On the Intel issue I kept getting "Distribution failed" when running the Linux Intel Driver Update.

Also I did try to rollback to the old kernel. I could never get that to work. I still got a black screen upon reboot with NVidia even with the old kernel.

Is there a repo for the Nouveau driver?

What is the correct repo for the NVidia driver? Is there a repo for the Intel driver?

This is what I have utilized for Intel:

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg -O - | \

sudo apt-key add -

wget --no-check-certificate https://download.01.org/gfx/RPM-GPG-KEY-ilg-2 -O - | \

sudo apt-key add -

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb https://download.01.org/gfx/ubuntu/13.10/main saucy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/intel-graphics.list'

This is what I have utilized for NVidia:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates shows PPA not found

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers shows PPA not found

So I have updated utilizing the following:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates

current kernel as of 1/24/14 is

linux-headers-3.13.0-5 the initial install kernel is 3.12.0.7

Thank you for your input. However I can say that neither the NVidia driver nor the Intel driver was updated in the repo after the kernel update.

it won't be for daily builds and why you need to use the release version, ONLY then will the video drivers and kernel drivers be in sync as it were.

before any updates are introduced they make sure nothing will stop working(usually.) and why beginners and even experienced users like me should always be running the stable release of their preferred distro, it's only experts who like to test the tinker with the latest and greatest and know how to program and fix anything that may get broken that should be using daily builds.

to get the graphics working with daily builds you have to know how to compile the driver with the newest kernel and you have to do that yourself with every new kernel update.

with a stable release distro someone else will have already compiled the driver to the latest kernel it will be using and placed it in the repo's ready for use, so there would be no need for you to do anything except update everything and carry on using it as usual.

I admit I made a mistake by downloading a daily build. I didn't know anything at all about Linux so I learned the hard way and through the terrific replies I have received to my post. Thank you again for your valued input. I have probably destroyed two really good working computers by doing so many cold boots within the past three weeks although both seem to work just as good as before I began this failed project. At least I learned a lot.

I am going to wait until April and download the 14.04 LTS final version. Hopefully that will work.

The other problem is I cannot seem to update the Intel drivers at all as I keep receiving the error message "Distribution failed" when I run the graphics installer even upon an initial install.

Is there any other way to update the Intel driver? I cannot find any repos for it other than the manually run installer.

sorry i know nothing about intel drivers, i've never needed them.

personally if i were you i'd install and use kubuntu 13.10 release version now, get used to it and when they release the next version it should be just a case of doing a simple distro upgrade to be running the newest stable version.

here's a link showing how easy it is to upgrade a distro, this upgraded was from 13.04 to 13.10 (latest at the time.) :- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaucyUpgrades/Kubuntu

by running and using the latest release version (13.10) now and in the future you should find you have no need to worry about the intel drivers, i believe there is no repo for them and they are pre-built into the kernel but not 100% sure on that.

I admit I made a mistake by downloading a daily build. I didn't know anything at all about Linux so I learned the hard way

i wouldn't say it was a mistake, it was just a bigger learning curve than a new user can be expected to cope with and like you said i bet you've learned a lot from it, even more than some users learn after using a stable normal release version for years. ;)

i don't think there's a linux user on the forum that hasn't run into a video driver problem at one point or another and just re-installed the os to get things working again because we never knew how to fix what is in all reality usually a simple fix, if you know what your doing. compiling drivers isn't really that hard but glad i don't need to do it myself now after every kernel update like i used to with i think it was my ati card i had and can now just use a nvidia repo. :laughing:

tell a lie just remembered i do need to compile at least 1 driver everytime i have a kernel update but that is for my quad dvb-t2 tv card, otherwise i can't record my tv, but as for everything else the repo's take care of all that stuff for me. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966