Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Hookup Pc to TV

I honestly do not know what video card you are reffering too because this thread is so long.....

Any cheap GPU with an HDMI port is o.k.to view your tv as long as the power requirements do not exceed the output of your power supply. If you should start to consider to play video games, then everything changes

That should be o.k.

According to Nvidia (the Graphic Processing Unit manufacture, not the card manufacture) they state the minimum power supply wattage should be 300 Watts to properly use that card (FYI)

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications

The Power Supply Unit (PSU) will or should have a rating sticker on it, usually one of the sides. This rating sticker will give you the wattage that it is rated for. The PSU is the grey box that has all them tangly wires comming out of the back side, located at the rear top of the pc case

Edited by Joe C

+1

checking your power supply unit (psu) is capable of powering any new hardware is very very important, and something everyone needs to do before adding a new graphics card.

saying that i'd be surprised if your pc had a psu lower than 350watts, which is what this card needs for example :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130775

the power requirements of a graphics card are usually listed under specifications on newegg so are pretty easy to find for any card.

System Requirements Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.)

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

My post yesterday on page 4 (near the top) where I quoted your two choices. The Asus I got, but the other one was not available.

i believe that card should work fine. as i stated, i would try the compaq computer first. it should be an easier install and will help you to "get your feet wet". but whatever you decide, i hope it all goes smoothly. when it does and you are watching netflix via the hdmi from your new video card...you will have that profound feeling of satisfaction because you "did it yourself"! :clap:

I may be doing it myself, but not without the "Pit" at my back, in my head, and guiding my fingers. And like a bad penny, I'll show up again. Happy New Year.

nope i'd forget about wireless, cost prohibitive.

stick with what iamgeogeareu suggests, single cheap card and hdmi cable.

:b33r:

That's madness! :P

The person could have got the wired adapter :facepalm:

Thanks, duanester, for the input. Iactually would like to know more about the wireless. I'm going to go with the HDMI with these e pc's, but I know down the road I'll be looking at another pc and would then consider the wireless. Especially if it's just a matter of an adaptor and wireless box. But, keep in mind that I am less than a novice with this stuff and lack confidence, so it has to be straight-forward.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vga+to+hdmi+converter&oq=vga+to+hdmi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9453j0j1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

These days almost anything is possible, Those wired devices and the wireless devices are out there.

Read the reviews, make a choice and give it a go.

Edit: Avoid adapters that say hdmi to vga, Instead look for adapters that say vga to hdmi w- sound.

Edited by duanester

Thanks for the input. What else is required besides the vga to hdmi w-sound adaptor?

cables? To get a decent vga to hdmi w/sound adaptor .... It will cost you more than a video card. The inexpensive adaptors will not give you HD resolutions and will look like crap if they work at all. Edited by iamgeorgeareu

I've ordered the vid-card and cables. The vga to hdmi w/sound will be another deal. What example, and cost, are we looking at for a decent vga to hdmi w/sound adaptor. or what ever is needed.

Keep in mind that come June, I'm giving up Directv and going to regular digital broadcasting.

I clicked the link, but it's all greek to me. I wouldn't know even what kind to look for. If I can help it, I will never get a new pc with win8.

Build your own pc and put Windows 7 on it

A tv tuner card is a pci/pci-e card that can pick up tv channels from an antennae or your cable box, and display tv to your monitor

This also allows me to record my tv channel shows and movies to the hard drive on my pc

Edited by Joe C

As I stated earlier I did order the hdmi cables and have rec'd them. the hdmi/vid/card won't arrive until Sat or Mon.

To Joe C, I would be lost trying to find the right tuner card, and I never would attempt to build my own pc.

Thanks though.