Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Hookup Pc to TV

a few suggestions in your price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133458

this one is completely silent (no fan), but does not have free shipping (does have a $10 rebate though):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121641

both should work perfectly for your needs. the asus has a rather large heatsink to compensate for no fan, so you would just have to make sure the slot under the card is vacant so it does not interfere.

These look fine. But, Which one is for which (or maybe they say in the pkg.)?

Does Newegg also have the HDMI cables,

I'll want to get 2 3ft cables and one 25 ft.

The shorter ones bill will be used for the Dell to 24# TV and the other for the cable box to the TV as long as I'll still have Directv until June.

I had looked earlier for HDMI cables, but they do not seem all the same, and I would prefer your advice as to which ones to get.

I sure appreciate all the help I've been given and thank you all very much.

I just thought that creating one order would lower the shipping costs and save some dough.

Does it matter which HDMI cables I get at monprice? They have so many.

Just to make things simpler, i suggested using a wireless pc to tv device instead of a cable.

Yes their are devices that can stream picture and sound fro a computer to a tv wireless.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+to+tv+wireless+converter&oq=pc+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60l3j69i59.4973j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Sorry for the large letters. These should be ok?????

3ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Blue $2.52

<>

25ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black $21.63

But, the wireless starts out at $130 bucks? I do appreciate your offering a good choice and sorry that I didn't understand.

But it does look easier. I need opinions of the others that have helpe me. Please.

Thanks.

Edited by rgsmile

iamgeogeareu, Joe C, Terry1966, what do you think of going wireless and getting one unit?

Also, I did find a Belkin at $70, but know so little about this stuff I wouldn't want to gamble without good advice.

Edited by rgsmile

As with any purchase, it's best to do research, Read reviews on the products, Understand Warranties/ Return policies etc...

If the product does not suit your needs, Return it.

Also their are wired solutions, A simple converter box will do it, vga to s-video for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=vga+to+s-video&oq=vga+to+s&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8690j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Read reviews on them and give them a shot.

a few suggestions in your price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133458

this one is completely silent (no fan), but does not have free shipping (does have a $10 rebate though):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121641

both should work perfectly for your needs. the asus has a rather large heatsink to compensate for no fan, so you would just have to make sure the slot under the card is vacant so it does not interfere.

Thanks again.The Asus is available, but the other is not. Which pc is the asus for?

don't want to sway you one way or the other. no experience with the wireless devices so can't say....you will have to read some reviews and make your own decision based on your needs and abilities.

but if you decide to go with a video card + hdmi cable(s), here are some cables that should be fine and free shipping:

25 foot length: http://www.amazon.com/25FT-HDMI-TO-Cable/dp/B002HKHLDK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1388584544&sr=8-10&keywords=25+ft.+hdmi

6 foot length, 2-pack (better to get a little longer just in case): http://www.amazon.com/Pack-HDMI-6FT-Cables-Category-Compatible/dp/B002L2X8X6/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1388587145&sr=1-2&keywords=6ft+hdmi+cable+2-pack

in my opinion, you do not need expensive hdmi cables....the cheap ones should work fine. once again: read the reviews. the only time i would be concerned about the quality, is if i was going to be plugging and unplugging the cords, relentlessly over and over again....the cheap build may then come into play. but if are just going to plug it in and let it stay put....these should work perfectly!

the asus card should work in either computer. but as i stated: it has a large heatsink so you should open up the case prior to ordering and verify that the slot under the pci-e slot is vacant. or else that video cards heatsink will interfere with whats below it. opening the case beforehand will also give you a feel for the inside and you can grasp where things are situated. i highly recommend you do so before ordering. remember to unplug the power cord from the back of the computer before opening. and once its open...ground yourself by simply touching some part of the metal frame inside the case before touching any of the hardware inside.

the 2 cards i linked to were only examples...there are less expensive ones.

i again would ask you to only order one and install into the newer computer to make sure you are comfortable with the process. i would hate to have you to order something, then be stuck with the merchandise.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

I started with this machine, the Vista/Dell as it is out in the open. The Compaq/win7 is kind of buried. I only use it twice a month, or so, to keep current the update.

I tore it apart ( snicker) and vacuumed the dust that was there and cleaned off the fans.I moved one card. It has 2 holes for cables that looked like the same size as ethernet, but were different. I moved that card up one, and now there is a little bigger opening for the next slot and has a fan blowing on it. This should help any overheating problem, right?

The card with two holes in it that look like ethernet is most likely a dial up modem. They are not used very often if you have broadband, won't hurt anything to leave it out

If I leave it out, then should I put the HDMI card in the upper spot with an empty below it?

And I opened the Compaq and that has 2 empty card-holders. One is black and one is white, and one is larger than the other, so I presume the card will only fit in one of them?

leave the modem card out as joe said...you will not miss it unless you plan on going back to dial-up. you can hold on to it just in case.

click the link below and scroll down to the picture of the motherboard. that should be the same model you are dealing with in the compaq computer (the board itself may be a different color, but the layout should be the same). look at the slots in the lower left corner...the very top slot is the slot for the video card. its the long black one in the pic, it is the only slot the video card will fit into. it is called a pci-e slot. that slot should be vacant.

as for the dell...i am not sure if that top, long, pci-e slot is vacant or not, please verify. it should look just like the top slot in the compaq as far as length. and there should be a clip of some sort on the right end of it in both computers.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02131097-20%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=4162245&ac.admitted=1388617156863.876444892.492883150

Yes it looks the same and the blk slot has a blk dingy on the right side that looks like some type of clip. The blk thing doesn't seem to be movable except to lock the card in.

If that is OK, let me know and I will order which ever one you think is the right one.

Then I can see if the Dell is the same and get another.

The graphics card should always go in to the upper pci-e x16 slot.

The two short black slots are pci-e x1 slots and the white slot is just a pci slot. Pop the GPU into the black slot with the dingy and be sure it locks in properly, screw it down and your good to go to install the driver

OK, and if I remember right, the driver is on a disk that comes with the card. Or is it through device mgr. I believe the video said that both are possible. And I should buy the card that was recommended earlier?

Sorry if I ask questions that we may have covered before, but I have no confidence when undertaking this kind of stuff.