Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

Hookup Pc to TV

My head is spinning. I really appreciate all the advice and will have to take some time to digest it, and get some local help to look over all of the options that you great techs have given me.

My game plan was to drop my Directv since I hardly use those channels at all. I basically watch the news, receive and send email. play freecell and hearts and Netflix and Rabbit TV. I can get my news from my antenna and online with the PC. I'll be able to watch the MN Vikings football on the local Fox, but I'll miss the MN Twins baseball. I'm 76 years old and with MN weather the winters are long and the Netflix helps to pass time. I spend most of the summers outside (large yard and garden) and rarely watch TV except to catch the news and emails.

I have a Dell 530S/7 years old/ Vista and a 3 yr old Compaq Presario/win7. They are pretty basic machines. The Compaq has no HDMI, or even s-video. The Dell has s-video, but no HDMI.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Edited by rgsmile

almost forgot...during the black friday specials, i bought this card from newegg (refurbished) for $15 after mir:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130883

i also happen to have an old compaq presario, model # SR5110nx laying around. its about 7 years old (i think) and has a rather ancient, single core amd athlon64 3800+, with 3gbs of mixed ram thrown in. surprisingly, this old computer does have a pci-e slot.

it had been running linux mint with the onboard nvidia 6150 graphics, but today i installed win7 64bit onto it along with the refurbished, nvidia geforce 210 which i linked to above. after running some windows updates, i installed the latest nvidia drivers, rebooted and plugged in via hdmi cable to my 50" samsung plasma....

sound and video both work through hdmi. installed firefox and tried out some videos from youtube and netflix....both worked perfectly in hd!

it was ridiculously simple to setup, and i would imagine your 3 year old presario would work even better then this old dinosaur.

on a side note...when watching on the big screen, i use one of these logitech keyboard/touchpad combo's (also bought as a refurb):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126315

it is slightly smaller then the keyboard on my 16" laptop, but bigger then the cramped keyboards found on most netbooks. it works great for a computer to hdtv setup.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

it was ridiculously simple to setup, and i would imagine your 3 year old presario would work even better then this old dinosaur.

+1

nice post and just shows you don't need the greatest/fastest anything to have a great video/picture experience on a good tv and it's really not as complicated as some people think it might be to actually setup and get working.

:b33r:

found an all in one :- http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0002JFNR4

this has a different type of video connector on the tv end tho, so you need to know what connections are available on the tv, this type tho can be used with a scart adaptor and plugged into a scart port on the tv if it has one too.

I do have s-video on both pc's and I think they are called RCA's on the TV. So does the cable above from amazon work for me?

Thanks in advance.

If I can use the same 3 that the Directv box is plugged into. (I also have the s-video on TV, but this cable does not have s-video on both ends. Do they make them with s-video on both ends and 2 rca's on each end?)

Here is what my Haier 42" TV has:

HDMI 1 HDMI2

2 plugins audio in white - audio out red

VGA + Audio PC In

5 RCA's Componit 1 y -Pb-Pr-L-R

5 RCA's Componit 2 y -Pb-Pr-L-R

S-Videio + 3 Rca's Yellow-red-white plugged into Directv box

Does this help?

<>

Edited by rgsmile

my humble opinion: absolute best solution would be to get an inexpensive pci-e video card with a hdmi port (not mini or micro hdmi), install into the newer win7 computer. buy a hdmi cable long enough to reach...

be happy. :)

s-video will only transmit in standard definition (sd)...you have a high-definition (hd) tv, take advantage of it. picture quality will be literally, like night and day. i can't believe your direct tv box is hooked up via s-video? :facepalm: does it not have a hdmi port?

Hi and thanks for the response. My plans for now is to hookup s-video to my Dell/Vista and later I will get a card for the Newer compaq to use HDMI. They will then be moved to another room. My Vista with the s-video will be hooked to another TV, but still a dstance from the PC.

Therefore I want to get the correct s-video cable. Will the one shown below work OK?

terry1966, on 28 Dec 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:Posted Image

found an all in one :- http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0002JFNR4

this has a different type of video connector on the tv end tho, so you need to know what connections are available on the tv, this type tho can be used with a scart adaptor and plugged into a scart port on the tv if it has one too.

I do have s-video on both pc's and I think they are called RCA's on the TV. So does the cable above from amazon work for me?

Taken from the first review of the cable on Amazon

be very aware before you buy this that the S-video is a 4 pin connector. This does not work with some video cards, which also have an S-video connection - a 9 pin connection.

You should check your connection on the PC, if it's a 4 pin s-video connection it'll work, if the connection on the PC is 9 pin s-video this cable is not for you. ;)

edit: look at the pictures on Amazon, if it looks like your PC connection it should be fine...

:geezer:

It appears that both the TV and both the pc's have different s-video pin receivers. So, I will have to go the HDMI with either, or both. Sorry I did not notice that earlier.

rgsmile, do you have the exact model number of the newer, compaq presario, windows7 computer (or both computers)? can help much better if we know exactly what we are dealing with. might be a sticker somewhere on the front, side or rear with the model. we can then check their website for the specs/details. don't want to see you buy anything that might not be compatible.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

well looking at both machines, its a toss up as to which is better. they both appear to have 2gbs ram, the older one looks to have a dual-core intel cpu, where as the newer (compaq) looks like it might have a single-core amd sempron. the newer one is running win7 which might be an easier installation if you decide to add a video card (better driver support in win7?). also, looking at both cases, i believe it will be easier to add a card in the compaq machine.

i still think a cheap hdmi card and hdmi cable is the way to go. let us know if thats the route you decide to take, and how much $$ you want to spend. then we can suggest some cards for you. like i said in an earlier post...i spent $15 on an nvidia card (with an hdmi port) during black friday. installed it in a compaq machine which is a little older then your dell and it works really well! streams netflix perfectly in hd quality to my 50" plasma hdtv via one hdmi cable! was really simple to install. if you are comfortable opening up the computer and adding a card....it should be pretty painless.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

When you state that installing a card is "pretty painless", is that an understatement? I have NEVER installed anything internally.

Will it be obvious what has to be hooked to what?

I've never changed anything in the bios either, if that is required.

I checked with a somewhat local shop and they want $60 (ballpark) for the card and $80 to install. If I can get an HDMI card for both pc's and install them myself, then that would be the way I would go. (My friend has never installed a card either.)

nice vid joe! but rgsmile...the video card in joe's clip is HUGE compared to what you would be installing. yours will be about a quarter of that size, lol. and the card you will be installing will be a low power one that does not require a power plug.

if you have NEVER installed anything into a computer, then yes...i am afraid my "pretty painless" comment may have been an understatement :(

doesn't mean i do not think you can handle it, i think you can. i would suggest you try one machine, one video card at first...if all goes well (which i am confident it will)...then buy the second card and have a go at the second machine. i would also recommend you try the newer, compaq machine first as i believe it is a larger, wider case that will give you much easier access to the insides. i also think windows 7 will be friendlier with the new hardware.

still not sure how much you are willing to spend, or if you are going to buy online or at a store. if buying online...i (we) could check around and make some suggestions for you. i always shop online at newegg for my hardware. quick (usually free) shipping, good prices and overall great service has been my experience. if buying in a store, you will of course be limited to whatever they have in stock. i only buy nvidia cards myself, thats just personal preference...others i am sure prefer ati/amd. i use linux for my OS and nvidia has always had better support there, so thats another reason for my preference.

Edited by iamgeorgeareu

another video showing how easy they are to install.

he installs both types one needing a power connection and one that doesn't(first one.)

as you can see it is really easy, these are amd cards but the process is exactly the same for nvidia cards.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Just be sure to unplug the pc from the wall and hold the power on button for a minute so it discharges the voltages in the pc, then ground yourself out on the metal area of the case.

The video is just to give you an idea, there are many more you tube vid's that will show you how to pop in a video card of the version of your GPU

Sorry for the delay, but we're getting snow and 0 temps, so I went out to shovel and start the car.

I watched the second video and it seems easy enough to install. Do the cards come with the driver on a disc, or is this just for some?

If everything is as easy as it shows and drivers are not a headache to get, then I would still want 2 hdmi cards. One for the Dell and one for the Compaq. Price wise is somewhat open. I would say for a lowend type card (I'm not a gamer, just want to hook up to HDMI to watch Netflix, etc.), then somewhere in the 25 to 45 dollar range.