Sign in to follow this  
Juliet

Windows XP users who want to save their machines

Please be aware that Microsoft will terminate support of Windows XP/SP3 on April 8, 2014

That means it will no longer have updates and patches to prevent PC infections.

Once support is withdrawn by Microsoft, it will be impossible to secure the XP machine. It won't matter how many firewalls, anti-virus scanners, or other security programs are installed.

Any XP machine that is online after that date will get infected repeatedly, and any useful information on it will likely be stolen. It will NOT be fixable.

Some may want options for the upcoming support deadline.

Win XP users who want to save their machines: Windows XP - The Elephant in The Room

Methods of Rescuing computers currently using Windows XP, so they can be safely used online, after Windows XP is no longer a safe Operating System to use.

Excellent post Juliet and askey127 has done a most admirable job of outlining many options available to the current XP user in the link provided.

:tup:

I've moved most of my clients to Windows 7 with Mozilla Thunderbird, but there are some others that are reluctant and are hanging onto their XP systems.

I guess I'll just be seeing them a little later next year. :mrsgreen:

:) Y

There's always Linux, if I'm allowed to mention it here. :tux:

David and Juliet, I have a question. My mom runs XP. I'm a total Penguin dude, my upgrades are painless and also free, but will my mom have to pay to upgrade her Windows?

She's old and she knows jack about computers. I'm considering just installing some Linux on her machine, but she might be happier with Win7.

Edited by KurtBleach

Hi folks!!! :adios:

Good info, Juliet.

Is suDown a good option for XP, starting on 8 April 14?

It sounds like a Linux guard for XP... :boxing:

There's always Linux, if I'm allowed to mention it here. :tux: David and Juliet, I have a question. My mom runs XP. I'm a total Penguin dude, my upgrades are painless and also free, but will my mom have to pay to upgrade her Windows?She's old and she knows jack about computers. I'm considering just installing some Linux on her machine, but she might be happier with Win7.

Of course you can talk about Linux, many here use that system, but all I personally know is windows.In the main link I posted for "Windows XP - The Elephant in The Room"They supply links for:Changing to Win 7/Win8 - Replacing XPChanging to a Linux OS - Replacing XPDual Booting Win XP and a Linux OSMyself, I like Windows 7, to me personally resembles Windows XP the most. I found it easy to adapt to.

Hi folks!!! :adios: Good info, Juliet. Is suDown a good option for XP, starting on 8 April 14? It sounds like a Linux guard for XP... :boxing:

Affy!, so good to see you again!Y kawika would have the best answer for that question......I think?I do need to supply the name of the person who granted me permission to post the links and information.askey127, well known malware removal expert and developer.

Linux is fine. I have a netbook with it. However, IMO, it is for those who think 'out of the box', so to speak.

There are so many people with XP!! Just about every senior citizen that I hang around with has XP.

They all call me whenever there is a problem, so, this topic is a heads up to get ready for what is ahead.

Got to give this some thought, because some of these folk are not going to give up XP without resistance.

My thoughts and questions:

These machines with XP, myself included, can they handle an install of an additional version of windows on those system well, and, not just that - other items have to be updated and reconfigured, or bought,to handle the new operating system.

Hi folks!!! :adios: Good info, Juliet. Is suDown a good option for XP, starting on 8 April 14? It sounds like a Linux guard for XP... :boxing:

Hi Affy! Merry Christmas! :xmas_smile:Sudown is an invaluable tool for XP users, since it does prevent administrative access to system files until "root-like" access is granted, much like linux.User errors doing the Windows clickity, clickity, ooops dance on the keyboard is always a concern with allowing malware on a rig. Sudown puts an added stop and step to continuing on, but the user has the final say, of course.The other issue would be to insure that the outdated and unsupported Internet Explorer browser version available in XP is not used as the exploits will likely ransack browsing and searching abilities. Kurt, linux is indeed a viable option these days and many distros have become so automated and visually laid out in a "Windows friendly" format that those with older hardware that may not run Vista, 7 or 8 well, should indeed investigate.When a customer brings their rig to me to be repaired, and it looks like it will take some time to get it back to them, I send them out with a "loaner" with Linux Mint installed. Most don't even notice any distinctive difference.It's gonna be interesting next year to say the least. :) Y

Great post Juliet & others who added to it. I am running XP Pro on this machine but also have a live Linux disc as well. I have a dual boot on my old lappie with Linux Mint & Win XP Pro. My other lappie is running Win 7 Home Premium.

Before April 2014, I may install Linux on the desktop I am using now. Not sure yet if I will make it dual boot or just run Linux.

Regards,

Hawk :b33r:

"Cold in the North woods"

Hawk....do your best to stay warm.

Thanks for the concern Juliet but I got me a nice little "Armstrong heater" that keeps me nice & warm as long as I don't go outside. :yup:

Regards,

Christmas to you also, :)Y !!!

That loaner idea is great.

If Mint has a lot of similarities to Windows, might have to try Linux Mint on my old laptop with XP.

Used to have a PC with it on, but that was quite a while back.

Merry Christmas to ya'll, Juliet, Kurt, and Hawk!!

Happy Christmas to you too, Affy.

Thanks for not closing the thread for my mentioning Linux (it has been done before :yup: ), but I'm still contemplating things on this needed switch. Yes, some of the new distros are so user-friendly that myself and the Hawk are new to running them, but we seem to be doing OK. But I have to admit, I really don't know jack about the inner workings. I don't think I'll ever grasp an OS like I did with the old Win98SE. My mom would call me about problems and I could come over and tweak like a magician and fix stuff. MS-DOS command lines, Registry edits, HJT logs, third-party anti-spy/virus/malware - all that stuff. Then I got into Linux and forgot my Windows savvy, and how many new Windows have come out since then that I know zip about?

I did get her to ditch Internet Exploiter for Firefox, but she sticks to her AOL.com e-addy.

This is what I'm really getting at here: how much does it cost to upgrade XP to 7 or 8? Does a new PC have to be purchased or do you go to a PC store and buy the disc?

Kurt...the simple answer is..each upgrade from XP to W7 is going to be unique (as it always has been); the problem now is that older (12year older) XP machines will have trouble locating drivers for some of the hardware. The newer XP/Vista crossover era machines should be ok.

If you're going to help people you got to start with make and model; or get them to run the upgrade assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

This isn't fool proof though; so don't take it as Gospel that things will go smooth; but it's a useful start.

As always the key to this is a full backup of files etc and a clean install; I would suggest for older machines it might be worth investing in an SSD first.

I have just installed W7 64bit on an old (and I mean old) lenovo lappy that was running XP; added 2gb ram (now has 4) and a 180g SSD. Cost me £65 for the bit's off ebay..put the old RAM and 500gb hard drive back on ebay and got £30....so have a great little laptop for my son and the net cost £35. It won't win any prizes for fastest OC; but it's going to last several more years...or a least until W7 bites the dust.

Great advice nigsy! :)

In my case Kurt, I was unable to find a Win7 installation disc so I bought a lappie with an OEM Win7 preinstalled. I find it very similar to Vista. :yikes:

I ran the Win7 upgrader on my desktop but found it too expensive to upgrade & that is why I am thinking of changing the O/S to Linux.

I plan to run XP on it for a bit after April/14 as there is nothing of value on the machine like passwords, pictures, etc.. These are aither burned to a CD or are on an external HDD. Also, I have SP3 & all Windows Updates burned on CD should I have to do a format & clean install down the road. It is a long process but can be done.

I think at this stage, I will continue to run XP on the desktop with the live Linux Mint. If I get too much grief in April/14 I may just change to Linux & be done with it or a dual boot system like my old lappie.

I know very little about Win8 or 8.1 except what I have picked up from reading other posts. From what I learned, I see no possibility of me ever using either one.

Have a great Christmas guys!

Regards,

For those of you with folks who can't manage to move away from XP, or are stuck in that o.s. ---- as long as these folks have ability to read and follow ( e.g.)

I would recommend that you consider referring them to an article by the awesome SBS diva ---- Susan Bradley at the Windows Secrets website.

Securing XP PCs after Microsoft drops support

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/securing-xp-pcs-after-microsoft-drops-support/

@Y kawika,

On Post #8, where you mention Linux Mint, could you specify what version of Mint you are using, Cinnamon, Perta, etc.?

:rofl2: Is that loaner alive?

Have a friend with a ThinkPad T42. The thing will not boot: ntldr is missing

Can't get out of that screen.

Tried booting from a cd with the Recovery Console, booting from a USB drive,..nothing.

Took out the 40GB laptop's HDD, and connected it to another XP machine (using a USB adapter). Copied the ntldr and the ntdetect.com files to the T42. Tried to boot...no-go!

Running out of ideas, and thought about your post mentioning Mint.

Would rather get the darn T42 to boot, though...the owner is a senior citizen, very set on XP.

Well....no Product Key is available, and, no CD is available.

This person bought some kind of a great deal (she thought) that turned out to be a loser.

The owner had no idea what she was getting. Bought the laptop from a friend of a friend...

She could not afford anything else,

When she got the PC, about 2 years ago, Windows was not validated. She went back to the seller, and got the OS validated, but, have no clue as to how.

The seller left the area.

I'm trying to help her, but this machine is the heck of a challenge.

Uggh!

The other option that may be available is to access the recovery partition (if equipped) and do a factory restore.

I believe that the ThinkPad T42 used the "F11" key at boot up to access and evoke the restoration service.

I'm not sure if disks were needed or if it can run directly off of the recovery partition, but worth a try.

Otherwise, an XP disk could be bought and used............ hate to do that with it's life expectancy being cut short from Microsoft.

or......... go the free route and dive into the Mint distro.

Thing is, if she just does some basic surfing, facebook, e-mail stuff, then Mint won't be difficult to handle at all.

If "Word" and "Excel" documents are used and needed, it does come with Open Office pre installed, which will handle the task easily.

I saw some ThinkPad T42's on e-bay for sale, some cheaper than buying a new OS disk. That's another option as well.

:) Y

Thanks for all the options!

There is also no recovery partition. They guy that sold the T42 to her bought it without an OS, and then installed one on it.

The first thing I looked for was the recovery partition, however, it was nowhere to be seen in GParted, other than the one and only partition with the OS.

If I can't get this thing up and running, and she does not want Mint, will probably help her get a laptop. However, it must be a new one. Not throwing my money at some hacked product.

Edited by Aaflac