Sign in to follow this  
xyphr3

Video card suggestion for HDMI output (maybe non existant)

I have a self-build computer (not myself but a company did it for us), it has windows 7 professional 64-bit, Intel DB65AL board, Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB ram. Currently I am using the onboard video card, but this is what I would like to do....but maybe y'all can tell me it can or can't be done.

*Please bare with me, not sure how to explain this properly*

So currently, I am using the DVI cable connect to run the screen. Not running anything crazy at all, it is a work station computer that does not pull any major power, just had nice computers built for longer (fingers crossed) use. What I want to do is get a video card that will let me due a dual monitor connection, I would like to continue to do my normal work station stuff plus run a hdmi connect to two tv's (via a HDMI split) that will run youtube-like videos. One TV will be on a 5ft HDMI cord while the other TV will be on a 50ft (yes fifty foot) HDMI wire. The dual monitors will be running the exact same video and sound, but I didn't know if a video card could push 50ft of HDMI data or if HDMI data really degraded that quickly.

I would like to stay around $150 dollars. I know a nettop or a single computer per TV would be ideal, but wondering since I don't need to touch the video, it just plays the same information over and over and over, if I could get this to work.

On the other hand, I do have a separate computer we are not using that would just run the TV's only(still need a HDMI video card) but will the 50ft of HDMI when split be a problem? Thanks for your help and hopefully I have made some sense.

$150 may not be doable

easily doable, doesn't need to be a super powerful card :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202023

or even :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187186 would do just fine.

in fact he could probably do it without buying a card if he uses the vga (d-sub) connection to his main screen.

biggest problem i see is if his power supply (psu) will support whatever card he chooses, next is will it actually fit in the case, micro-atx motherboard usually means small case. so get the tape measure out and also find out if your psu can support adding a card as well as if it has a spare cable to plug into the card if the card needs it's own power source, my first suggestion does, also needs 500watt psu. but the 2nd one doesn't need a dedicated power cable and needs only a 300watt psu.

2nd problem i see is actually splitting the hdmi signal so will probably need a splitter box :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1KT0FT6292

next problem is 50foot run, yes a cable like this :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882497020

will probably be fine but run length depends a lot on type of cable used, cat6 cable for example can be good for 50metre runs, so if picture does show loss of signal then either changing cabling or using a booster is probably going to be needed.

http://www.hdmi.org/installers/longcablelengths.aspx

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Thanks to everyone for your help. i will look into this and get back to y'all. This is the size of my case, medium or so. It also looks like the PSU is only 300W. Guess they decided to jip us on that.Posted ImagePosted Image

again there's no need to upgrade the power supply UNLESS he buys a gpu that needs it, and you don't need a powerful gpu just for playing videos even this $40 card would be good enough for that. :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815 (and will work just fine without having to upgrade his current psu.)

even what he has is good enough for that, the only real reason to buy a card is so he can have 2 digital outputs, 1 to the tv's and 1 to the monitor currently in use, with the card above hdmi connection to the tv's and dvi connection to the main display with a dvi to hdmi adapter if he needs/wants to keep the hdmi connection he currently uses.

if he can do without the 2nd digital connection then i'd just say connect the vga (d-sub) to his monitor and use the hdmi for the tv's that his motherboard already has.

people build dedicated media centres (htpc) for home use with nothing more powerful than a passive $30/40 card in them all the time.

it's 3d games that need a powerful expensive gpu, not video playback.

here's an example :- http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discrete-htpc-gpus-shootout

Edited by terry1966

yes for that card he'd definitely need to upgrade the psu, but seeing how he's only really interested in playing some promo video's or something on a loop i'd think the best option with least hassles is to just buy a much lower powered card that will do the job just fine without having to do anything to the pc except plug the new card in, if he even decides he actually needs one.

like i said earlier in my opinion the only real reason for buying a new card is to have 2 digital outputs, be that both hdmi or 1 hdmi and 1 dvi with adaptor for hdmi connections.

again there's no need to upgrade the power supply UNLESS he buys a gpu that needs it, and you don't need a powerful gpu just for playing videos even this $40 card would be good enough for that. :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130815 (and will work just fine without having to upgrade his current psu.)

I appreciate everyones input. Sorry, the holidays kept me busy. After re-reading everyones comments, I think I will just go based off of this card above with the HDMI splitter. The monitor at the station can be DVI/VGA with no problem. My question is, does the 1GB or 2GB matter? It isnt a big price difference and not a problem to do the 2GB, just didn't know if that was recommened.

more memory is always a good thing for playing games, but just for the purposes your needing, it makes absolutely no difference, so it's a case of either or, 1gb or 2gb no choice is wrong, personally i'd get the cheaper 1gb card linked.

keep us updated on your progress and how well the final solution works for you please, hope you had a good christmas, and have a great new year. :tup:

Edited by terry1966

Excellent! okay, I purchased the EVGA GeForce GT 610 card, with the HDMI splitter that was recommended and HDMI cords. The set-up works great, but the execution of the setup is where I am running into problems. So the TV's are receiving input properly and as intended, but I can't see the TV's to make changes. Currently I have the video card set up as a "side-by-side" monitor setup so I am dragging the internet window between my monitor and the TV's. I can't see what is on the TV's when sitting at my desk!!! So, is there a way to see the TV's screen on the main monitor and make changes that way? I know it is very confusing and I am sorry!

EDIT!! Okay, when both TV's are hooked up to the HDMI splitter, both screens blink at the same time. They blink whether they are showing the video or just showing the wallpaper. When each TV is hooked straight into the video card, it doesn't blink. So....possibly faulty HDMI splitter or signal needs to be stronger coming from the video card? Help!!

Edited by xyphr3

if i'm understanding you correctly, you have separate dual displays setup so you can work on one display while the tv's display something else, but you want to also see what's being displayed on the tv's from your monitor in a mini display picture in picture type of thing.

i'm afraid there is no way i know of to do that but will look into it to see if it's possible.

Exactly Terry!!But my main concern at this point is the Tv's blinking cause they can't blink while the video is playing.

Also, I didn't realize that the computer I am working on is a little different then the computer I told you about. I figured they would be all the same computer but I think they are just a little different. So the computer I am a Gigabyte B75M-D3H, Intel i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8GB of DDR3 Ram. Would that change anything? My deepest apologies!

Edited by xyphr3

ok i don't think there is a way to do it with software, that is using your current hardware and the way everything is setup, but it is possible.

what you need is for your main monitor to have picture in picture (pip) capabilities where you can have 2 display inputs into it, then you'd need to split the connection going to the tv's into 3 instead of the 2 you have at the moment and take 1 back to your main monitor which would then be used as the pip while the main picture was your usual desktop.

what do you mean by this

But my main concern at this point is the Tv's blinking cause they can't blink while the video is playing.

blinking??

edit. no your system specs don't change anything.

Edited by terry1966

Yes, as stated in the edit on my first post of the day, the tv screens blink when both are running together through the hdmi spiltter. Like a glitch on the screen. It happens probably 4x a minute. But if each tv is plugged into the video card by itself, it doesn't blink/glitch.

sorry missed your first edit, yes that blinking sounds to me like a faulty splitter so i'd contact the supplier and see what they say and get it replaced, there definitely shouldn't be any difference between running straight to the card or through the splitter.

just to test does it blink if just either one of the tv's are connected to the splitter alone but starts blinking when the other is connected?

Edited by terry1966

Ok, will keep y'all updated . In the mean time, I will try using the Logitech iPhone mouse control to set up internet explorer on the TV screen. Thanks Terry!

if you do need to return it and seriously want pip capability and are thinking of getting a monitor with dual input capabilities then it might be worth getting a refund and buying a different splitter with a 4 way split instead of 2 to use for the pip setup.

just to test does it blink if just either one of the tv's are connected to the splitter alone but starts blinking when the other is connected?

Sorry, missed what you said here. I did try that, when one HDMI was plugged in at a time, the screen blinked like crazy, a lot worse! I should of said that earlier, but will mention it when I contact the manufactuer.

been doing some more thinking about this, and think you should be able to do what you want, pip, without any new hardware or setup changes.

i think what you'll need is real time screen capture software that will capture either screen and save it to a video file that you'd then play with a media player like vlc in a window on your main monitor.

now no idea if such software exists or how good it may be but it should work, it won't show you the flickering tho because the signal it's recording would be a clean signal that is being sent out from the graphics card and your blinking is a problem caused by the splitter when sending that clean signal to the tv's.

i think the usual process is to contact newegg and get them to replace it free of charge, but i'd definitely get it replaced or a full refund asap.

I already have a new one coming and mailing my current splitter back. In the mean time, I have the Logitech touch mouse through my iphone where I can control my mouse through wifi. Now I just have to teach my employees (not computer savvy) that they just can't force the mouse up in the far right corner on the main monitor cause it will disappear onto the other monitor in the next room. Wish there was a way to block the mouse traveling to the next screen unless it was on the taskbar or something.