Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyIsMe

The internet isn't working on my brand new desktop PC.

I just got my new desktop PC and I plugged in the ethernet cable and it wouldn't work. I have tried quite a few ways of fixing it, but open to more. I haven't used the ethernet cable there for a while, but I don't think thats the problem. I looked online and found out the when you do the "ipconfig" thing in cmd, if you have 169- as the beginning of your IP it means that it's not getting any connection. Please help. I don't want this PC to be a waste of money. :)

getting a 192 ip address means your getting a connection and shows the cable is probably working just fine.

a 192.168.x.x ip is what your router (lan, local area network.) gives you when connected to it.

so i'd say your pc is working just fine and connecting to your router, so i doubt there's a hardware problem just a software or set up problem somewhere.

example from my linux machine.

ifstatus eth0    eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000    link/ether 00:1f:d0:db:f0:e5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff    inet 192.168.0.2/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0    inet6 fe80::21f:d0ff:fedb:f0e5/64 scope link       valid_lft forever preferred_lft foreverConfigured IPv4 routes for interface eth0:  default 192.168.0.1 - eth0    169.254.0.0/16 - - eth0  Active IPv4 routes for interface eth0:  default via 192.168.0.1  169.254.0.0/16  scope link2 of 2 configured IPv4 routes for interface eth0 up

this shows my machines ip is 192.168.0.2 and the gateway to the internet is 192.168.0.1 (router.). and i can connect to the internet(wan, wide area network.) just fine.

see if this link helps you solve your problem. :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/troubleshoot-internet-connection-problems

:b33r:

sorry just read your post again.

the 169.254.0.0/16 ip is actually a zero config route and is assigned if it can't find a dhcp server.(usually your router.) so maybe there is a hardware problem somewhere.

try

ipconfig /flushdns

then

ipconfig /registerdns

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?p=407588

or maybe this link will help :- http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/invalid-ip-address-169254xx/ce096728-e2b7-4d54-80cc-52a4ed342870

Edited by terry1966

What is the other end of the ethernet cable plugged into?

a router?

a modem?

If it's a router, is the router also connected to a modem through the WAN port?

Hardware is all plugged in and lights are present on the hardware?

Start with the basics and work your way back to the computer.

:) Y

The other end is plugged into the wall and pretty sure runs to the router. (Not too good at these words.) The light is green on my PC which means it should be connecting. A while ago, we had problems with the ethernet cable and so we switched to WiFi and laptops/tablets. Also, I tried to plug in the cable into my laptop and got the same problem that there is no internet access. So thats led me to believe that it could be something wrong in the router or something. Wifi works fine btw.