Sign in to follow this  
apothecare

NEWESTJAVA-DOWNLOAD.COM possible phishing scam?

Hi, over the past few days I am getting a popup window that interrupts my browsing to inform me that

my Java installation is out of date, and that I should click on the link provided to obtain a newer version

the links direct to NEWESTJAVA-DOWNLOAD.COM, which as far as I can tell is NOT associated with Oracle or any

other legit Java project

My concern is that it could lure people to a site that then convinces them to share login info or introduces a drive-by Trojan

I have notified Java right away but got no response, so wondered if anyone else is seeing this issue?

Thanks for the input folks, that certainly confirms my suspicion....

Just a bit peeved that Oracle isn't saying anything about this, it is their user base at risk

and stuff like this just pushes more people away from Java in the browser to HTML 5

Oh, and when I looked at that page at mitechmate.com, the solution that they give is not

entirely correct...it looks like a machine generated list of possible files and registry entries

but some of the paths given only exist in WinXP and many of the file names are placeholders

I would be very wary of deleting some of the items that are on that list (assuming you can find them

on your computer)

Oh, and when I looked at that page at mitechmate.com, the solution that they give is not

Web of Trust warns this site as red

risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam.

Web of Trust warns this site as red

risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam.

I am getting the same reading Juliet. :)

I did not mean to enter the site but rather what the preamble to what the site said about the popup.

Regards,

Hawk :b33r: