Sign in to follow this  
Paultx

Startup Sentinel 0.4.0.4 [free]

Startup Sentinel (a.k.a. SuS) makes your PC startup faster and more secure by giving you full control on loaded software. Every single program added to your startup sequence is detected on the fly and can be approved, rejection or blacklisted (for further automatic rejection by SuS)

Thanks go to Infopackets.

Warning

As good as this good as this program may be, it comes preloaded with all kinds of Toolbars and other

unwanted crap. If you aren't extremely careful, you'll wind up with more garbage on your computer than you

ever expected to get from innocent download.

Warning

As good as this good as this program may be, it comes preloaded with all kinds of Toolbars and other

unwanted crap. If you aren't extremely careful, you'll wind up with more garbage on your computer than you

ever expected to get from innocent download.

I downloaded the portable (.zip) version of this program and it had none of these annoyances.

I would not characterize it as "pre-loaded" or as "all kinds". The installation file for the KCcleaner gave me the choice to install one (1) additional piece of software which I did not install.

This is something to expect when you obtain a free program without paying for it. :note1::note2::note1:

I would not characterize it as "pre-loaded" or as "all kinds". The installation file for the KCcleaner gave me the choice to install one (1) additional piece of software which I did not install.

This is something to expect when you obtain a free program without paying for it. :note1::note2::note1:

If you only spotted one additional install than you missed quite a bit. Better check your computer.

This kind of abusive addition of garbage isn't something that you should have to watch out for. It's a program you simply avoid. :)

As cain_tree boy mentioned, simply use Winpatrol, no extras just an excellent program.

I like to mess around with software and see what it is capable of. My comment was not advocating the use of sentinal it was stating my experience with the installation of it. Rest assured that I watch my box for crap that comes along with program installations. The sentinal program is very slim which I favor over something that is bloated with system resource consuming code. I'm going to test it for a time to see if it alerts and how it acts while alerting.

Last time I messed with the scotty dog I didn't like it. Been too long to remember specifically why. Perhaps I'll like it now if I can remember to try it out again.

:)

Guys, I suggested this software here because of its slimness (as noticed by oftentired). At first I thought of it as an isolation of the Startup tab in Msconfig. =)

I didn't know it had crapware because, as I said before, I downloaded and ran its portable version, which has nothing but the app itself.*

As for WinPatrol, I purchased it years ago and have used it for a while. It's very good but covers many more areas, so I think it's kind of overkill if you just want to remove startup entries.

Another option is good old Autoruns. It's also free.

*Nowadays I follow this rule of mine: if it has a portable version, try it first.

Guys, I suggested this software here because of its slimness (as noticed by oftentired). At first I thought of it as an isolation of the Startup tab in Msconfig. =)

I didn't know it had crapware because, as I said before, I downloaded and ran its portable version, which has nothing but the app itself.*

As for WinPatrol, I purchased it years ago and have used it for a while. It's very good but covers many more areas, so I think it's kind of overkill if you just want to remove startup entries.

*Nowadays I follow this rule of mine: if it has a portable version, try it first.

Since Winpatrol is already installed, how can it be overkill ?

Since Winpatrol is already installed, how can it be overkill ?

I said: "I think it's kind of overkill if you just want to remove startup entries."

Edited by Paultx