Sign in to follow this  
Sanford

trouble with netgear wifi extender

I recently picked up a netgear universal wifi extender , WN3000RP , but I can't connect to the internet with it because it keeps asking me for a password. I tried what the manual suggested , using the default password , 'password' , but that didn't work.

The router, which the wifi extender is boosting , doesn't have a password so I can't see why it's asking me for one. Does anyone have any experience with this particular unit?

Here's the user manual for the unit I bought. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WN3000RP/Documentation/IG/WN3000RP_IG_12SEPT2011.pdf

The extender is connected to the router , I can see it on the list of wireless networks when I check it.

BTW, i'm using a D-link router, if that is relevant.

Edited by Sanford

Are you seeing the new SSID name as dlink_EXT?

If so, try logging in as:

Username: admin

keep the password blank

Can you access it by going to 192.168.0.1 in your browser?

Which dlink router are you using?

:) Y

I can see it , dlink_EXT , but it's not asking for a username and password , just a password.

here's a screenshot of the box that comes up when it asks for the password.

Posted Image

the router is a DIR-600 , I can't access it from the browser

Edited by Sanford

When you set up the network with the router did you get an encryption key and write it down/keep track of it? If so I'd try entering that in the box.

:geezer:

I don't recall getting an encryption key.

When I'm downstairs , closer to the router , I can connect without using any passwords.

Edited by Sanford

Try logging into the router at 192.168.0.1 using the username and blank password suggested earlier by Y kawika, if you get in you should be able to find the network key, copy it to a safe place and DON"T change it...enter it in your pop-up box.

:geezer:

Hi

I recently picked up a netgear universal wifi extender , WN3000RP , but I can't connect to the internet with it because it keeps asking me for a password. I tried what the manual suggested , using the default password , 'password' , but that didn't work.

Have you tried the default password for your existing router, if you haven't change it.

Failing that I would try to reset it to the factory default as in page 4 of the manual you supplied, as it could have been changed by the previous owner.

Regards

El Tel

Hi

Have you tried the default password for your existing router, if you haven't change it.

Failing that I would try to reset it to the factory default as in page 4 of the manual you supplied, as it could have been changed by the previous owner.

Regards

El Tel

I finally got it working. :)

I did a reset to factory default , as you suggested ( I had tried this already , but I gave it another go and this time it seemed to have re-set , whereas the first time I did it nothing happened) , this time holding the button down for a bit longer.

when I read your post about previous owner , I kinda ruled it out since I bought the unit brand new. After scrutinizing the packaging a little more , it does look like they sold me a unit that had been used and returned to the store and put back on the shelf.

Hi Stamford

Glad you have it sorted now, as for the shop "Re-selling" good as :yikes: new. They need :hammer: excommunicating.

Regards

El Tel