Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Where has everybody gone?

I am surprised to see that there are so few folks posting on here these days. I have been a member for many years, and I recall when topics used to come thick and fast. Nowadays, it's more like Aberdeen on a flag selling day.

Anyone like to tell me what has happened?

Edited by d0nut

Not just here.

It's the same on a lot of other forums...Seven Forums is one of the biggest W7 forums and although they might boast a lot of registered members/ or people viewing their boards, there is not a lot of posts.

Reasons:

- Better OS means less issues

- People have learn't how to use Google and fix their own problems

- People are in general more technically astute and can work things out themselves

- A lot of one hit members who register for a specific 'fix' but never see it as a community

Interesting to note though that the SUSE, Mint & Ubuntu comunities are quite vibrant......maybe that tells it's own story.

I have to say for me personally that life gets in the way. It seems to be flying by.On the other hand,one might argue that you take the time if it's important. All I know is that if I am having a problem with any computer problems,this is the first site that I go to. I am always grateful for the way that anyone these days will help someone out. A personal Thank You to all on this site for the help. :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks for the input. You know, I think you are correct. The reason that I don't come on here as often as I did in the past, is probably because today I run a PC with SSDs, loads of memory and mainly trouble-free. Also, as Gigsy says, people are more computer-savvy, these days. I know I am. I'm not brilliant, by any means, but can cope with things which, a few years back, would have had me stumped.

All very sad. That's progress, I suppose.

Funny, I can recall my first post on here, back in January, 2003. I can't recall the exact content, but I do remember Volt (don't know if he's still around) asking me if I was a cop! My reply was, no, my feet weren't big enough.

Anyway, back to bed. It's 2.15 am here.

Thanks again for the replies.

d.

Good posts, Nigel and SweetTater.

My post was sort of abrupt, but I figured that I had already ranted hard enough against smartphones in a different thread that it was time for old angry Kurt to log off for the night.

One reason for the exodus could be smartphones and iPads. PC sales are down as more people just use phones and tablets. Also, more and more people have gotten fed up with Windows and its constant malware threats and half-butt security patches and have moved on to running Linux distros (three of which were mentioned by Nigel, but there are many more than those).

And like mentioned before, some people just come in once for a fix and don't realize the true camaraderie of the Pit Community. I know for myself that I would not be typing this right now if not for people who helped me get my current OS up and running.

d0nut, some Pit oldheads still hang in General Discussions forum, but I'm guilty myself for not being involved in anything Windows-related in here ever since I learned about Linux. I run openSUSE, if you might be interested in making the switch - but people like chengrob, caintry_boy, Jacee, Y kawika, and others are still around with their expert Windows help if you might someday need some.

Actually , I've been here since before 2003. The bus kept moving and we all got off at short stops ... we were finally able to unpack our bags in 2003 :clap:

I've been coming here since fall of '02 but my initial registration was for April of '03. I've been here nearly every day that was possible and if I don't appear every day then I feel L@ST. I have gotten many answers to problems with my PC's and over the years I've learned enough to be able to help others as well. This is my "home away from home". ;)

:geezer:

Been here from the WEE beginning, Actually i was under a different Alias for quite some time in late 02', but still here, i disappear from time to time, Only because there's this thing called work, It seems i have to change with it, Otherwise i wouldn't be able to afford the bill that allows me to even post this message :)

Been here since 2004 but stopped posting awhile ago because of other things happening in my life. Not sure why there aren't as many Users requesting help now. I wonder if they are just a bit smarter these days than they were when I was here on a regular basis?

Just passing through but it was sure a nice visit!

Take care all....

Hawk :b33r:

Been here since 2004 but stopped posting awhile ago because of other things happening in my life. Not sure why there aren't as many Users requesting help now. I wonder if they are just a bit smarter these days than they were when I was here on a regular basis?

Just passing through but it was sure a nice visit!

Take care all....

Glad to see you stopping by Hawk...don't be a stranger!

"Real Life" as it is called, (as if this is not a true part of it) :erm: is what I think has the largest impact on forum participation.

Also I think it is true that "Computers" and "Users" have gotten better or... perhaps now that I'm thinking specifically about it, there is less tweaking that we can now get away (or need to do) under recent OS's which means fewer users breaking their systems crucial software when making those tweaks. :shifty:

When I read online now about "secret" Win 7 or Win 8 tweaks I'm always dissapointed, they are not true tweaks I learned but actual user actions available within the OS for any Admin user to perform. No longer do we have to make a boatload of deeper system level tweaks to make the OS perform satisfactorily.

Now the computer issues are maleware and plain old user ..... ahhhhh... errors and simple lack of routine maintenance. I suspect these are easier to resolve one on one with help from a knowledgable friend or via a paid service instead of going online and asking in a forum.

Oh and I don't remember when I joined this forum, but I have been active online on various venues since.... I was first able to get online with dial up I guess that would have been around 1995 I think. Hard to remember clearly a date, but I remember being in a rented house and doing stuff online.

Edited by oftentired

either 2001 or 2002 is when i began getting into trouble here...don't remember which year, though.

i think one of the reasons is simply that computers are getting easier and easier to use. the difference between windows 98se / me and windows 7 / 8 is mindblowing. another thing is that people are becoming more and more computer savvy in general since they're much more likely now to use them constantly between work and home. lastly, the web is evolving as it always has been and new places pop up from time to time that take people away from places like this...one such site i can think of would be reddit.com.

people still use pc's, they've just added mobile devices to their repertoire. almost nobody completely gives up a pc for tablet / phone.

I just checked the "Most posts board" & found I was # 1. :geezer: I made two posts!!! What is happening? To get to # 1 when I was active, it would take 18 to 20 posts in a day. Hard to believe that there aren't Users out there that need help.

There has to be a lot more problems than what I am seeing....Win 7 & Win 8 & soon Win 8.11.

Regards,

I just checked the "Most posts board" & found I was # 1. :geezer: I made two posts!!! What is happening? To get to # 1 when I was active, it would take 18 to 20 posts in a day. Hard to believe that there aren't Users out there that need help.

There has to be a lot more problems than what I am seeing....Win 7 & Win 8 & soon Win 8.11.

Regards,

Well I for one spent the better part of the day fighting with a PC of my own that went down...

Well I for one spent the better part of the day fighting with a PC of my own that went down...

Well heck caintry_boy, I just finished a puter of my own. Last of the M$ updates installed. I've been working on it for two days. :yup:

Since we are posting in this thread, where did dave & some of the other Admins & Mods go? A lot of them haven't been here for more than a year according to the Admin/Mod list.

Regards,

IntelGuy and chengrob are still here along with Y kawika and Jacee. Flewpastu was here awhile back but has basically "left the building", shogan191 is busy working on things for the office and newsletter. Augusto makes an appearance from time to time and PCPitstopgal keeps our forum software updated...Likely one or two that I'm forgetting and oh yeah, I haven't seen Dave in YEARS although I'm sure he's still around.

Ooops, radio got hitched and he and his lady have embarked on their own adventures although he does pop in from time to time also.