Sign in to follow this  
Andrew S.

PC Matic & Security Essentials

At this point, we claim that we block more viruses than any of the other security providers. We also state that we block CryptoLocker which encrypts your files and demands a ransom.

As far as our white list goes, I think you are focused on the test and not the product. It would be nice if we got all of the good files on VB100's test, but it is not necessary. As I said, some of the files are no longer being used by users because they have become out of date. How important is it to recognize a file that has become obsolete, no one uses, but shows up on a VB100 good sample set? It is irrelevant from a customer perspective. Also, our customers are primarily in the consumer space because we advertise on television, and so our white list reflects good files in the consumer space. A chunk of the files we missed on the VB100 are related to high end enterprise. Please remember that we got 99.9% correct despite all of this.

But the larger question is so what if we block a tiny amount of good files? If we do, then it is possible to tell our software that this is indeed a good file and then it can run. Furthermore, the sample is uploaded to our servers and categorized in 24 hours. On the other hand, the tests show we block a lot more stuff than any one else. So which is worse from a customer perspective, blocking a good file, or assuming a bad file is good?

As far as customer service. I am not sure how this is related to VB100, but we just hired another customer service person because we are growing so fast. I think in 2010, we implemented a live chat feature but we disabled it after a short period of time. Customers seem to be satisfied and our employees are happy too with our current set up.

Please remember that we got 99.9% correct despite all of this.

yes but failed to get the vb100 award so does nothing to help pcmatics reputation.

But the larger question is so what if we block a tiny amount of good files?

So which is worse from a customer perspective, blocking a good file, or assuming a bad file is good?

my opinion they are both equally bad, you block a good file and the customer deletes it and then finds out their pc, printer etc doesn't work any more then your softwares reputation gets further hammered in public on the internet.

so that's not something you can just be blasé about and shrug off and say is unimportant in the grand scheme of things because in reality it is a big deal in my opinion.

same thing with customer service live chat/telephone options which have nothing to do with the vb100 but they certainly do raise the publics opinion and therefore reputation and reviews of the company and it's software on the internet

Customers seem to be satisfied

are they?

just do a google search and see for yourself the reputation pcmatic has earned for itself so far, word of mouth counts for a lot more than seeing an advert on tv.

eg. a recent topic in a very well respected site :- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523305/pc-matic-whats-the-good-or-bad-word/

and on amazon i think you have a bad review about every 5th review written not exactly what i'd call great satisfied customer numbers even when we know people write reviews most when they complain and not when everything works without problem.

and our employees are happy too with our current set up.

yep bet they are, i would be too, nothing worse than dealing with irate customers live. :laughing:

obviously security wise your on the right track, even if there's still work to be done, but a bad reputation can ruin even the best software in the long run, so it is in this area i think you really have to take a good long hard look at and improve things.

ok i know this all sounds so negative but i really am just trying to offer my honest opinion with feedback/ideas to help and not just to take the wind out of your sails after such a great result in the vb100 tests.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

We intentionally did not get VB100 cert to show how many more viruses we can block than any other product. The VB100 cert is based on the idea that if a product has only one false positive that it fails cert but it can literally let through hundreds of viruses and still get the cert.

You are under this strange impression that we have all of these dissatisfied customers out there that are so irate. This is not true. We have a full 30 day money back guarantee so if there is any dissatisfaction we just give them their money back and no one ever becomes irate.. If you look at the Amazon reviews and the bleeping computer thread, the vast majority of negative comments are from people that have never tried the product.

You also have this idea that we have a bad reputation and that we are I suppose struggling. The reality is the opposite is happening. We have lots and lots of happy customers, and we are growing quickly and very profitably.

There is another strange statement that if we some how block a good executable, that then the customer would then delete something and then the computer fails to operate properly. Like I said, we have been doing the white list since January 2011 and I can tell you that this has never happened. When we block a good file, then the customer has the ability to put Super Shield into advanced mode and allow the application to run. Furthermore, we upload the sample to our servers and within 24 hours we tag the file as good to improve our white list. This process is nothing compared to allowing a bad file to run like CryptoLocker.

I agree with you that you are extremely negative. I am not sure why, but PC Matic is doing really well, and now that we have the best score ever on a RAP test, I believe it will do even better. Obviously we disagree but that is not really important. For me as the CEO the only thing that really matters is whether the market agrees and whether it is reflected in the profit and loss statement. From that stand point, we are really booming.

From that stand point, we are really booming.

:clap:

my negativity probably comes from lack of knowledge and just going by what i read on the net from customer complaints/reviews.

as you know i will never be a customer and actually try the product myself because i run linux, but everything i've mentioned has been written by customers who have tried your product and can be found on the net.

... BitDefender also has the highest false-positive rate too

Must be misinterpreting something there. BitDefender's false-positive rate is 10, but the highest is 82 (McAfee). The average rate is 13.4.

... everything i've mentioned has been written by customers who have tried your product and can be found on the net.

Seriously?? Reread the topic at BC. I guarantee not one of those posters have ever tried the product, let alone are a customer.

Reread the topic at BC. I guarantee not one of those posters have ever tried the product, let alone are a customer.

obviously i wasn't talking about that topic then. :P

but yes seriously.

http://www.amazon.com/PC-Pitstop-PCM-102-Matic/product-reviews/B0046ZLW1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

http://www.complaintslist.com/2013/pc-matic-complaint-82061/

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Matic/3640-2094_4-75328927.html?tag=downloadRatingModule;summaryRatings

some are so bad citing demands for money to fix problems it did make me wonder if they actually got redirected to a malware download when they supposedly installed pcmatic.

Are you actually reading those complaints? I have read every one and very, very few of those posters have actually tried PC Matic and even fewer of them purchased it. Some of the complaints are too ludicrous to be believed:

"this program just wiped out my entire external drive. All I did was plug my external drive in and it erased everything!!!" - That is amazing. He didn't even run the software. All he did was plug in his external drive and PC Matic erased it. Wow. That's some program.

"I decided to try the free trial version of PC Matic. .... I did a little digging (all right, I spent a expletive laced afternoon and evening scrounging around in windows and at the cmd prompt) and discovered the so-called virus was PC Matic." - Right. We're selling a virus.

"...I downloaded the "free download" and ran the software, it reported over 37,000 problems! Against better judgment I went ahead and paid the $20 and ordered it. It apparently needs someone to assist it. I spoke to a nice person and found they needed to access my computer via a 'remote terminal' meaning they were controlling my machine. ..." - This is not PC Matic.

etc, etc, etc

not all of them no, but most of the ones i read said they have downloaded and/or paid for it.

This is not PC Matic.

you may know that but it's against pc matic the reviews are written, so if something is getting installed on a persons pc and they think it is pcmatic and it make demands for more money then it is pcmatic that gets the bad reputation.

It seemed good at first. But this program just wiped out my entire external drive. All I did was plug my external drive in and it erased everything!!! 20 years of work gone! A lot of what I had on there wasn't saved anywhere else.This is devastating. Don't use it.

"it seemed good at first" so they were running pc matic.

was it the cause of their lost data, no idea and doubt it, but when people see the ad and then decide to find reviews on the software to see if they should use it, things like this do not bode well for a new purchase.

I downloaded pc matic. I gave my credit card information for 1 year service. It downloaded for what I thought was 1 year. Then without even running even once it said I had to renew. I tried and tried giving my info for 1 year purchase, the same thin happened. I had to renew for a lifetime over $300 charge and it never ran. I can not contact pc matic. I can not remove it from programs. It holds my computer up with a pop up to renew. Help if any one has a way to contact them. I want it off my programs even when it is not a program that I can use. A true bait and switch

I downloaded the "free download" and ran the software, it reported over 37,000 problems! Against better judgment I went ahead and paid the $20 and ordered it. It apparently needs someone to assist it. I spoke to a nice person and found they needed to access my computer via a 'remote terminal' meaning they were controlling my machine. He also gave me the code to unlock the software. I didn't like it too much, but since most of what we needed was moved off the machine, I figured I didn't have a lot to worry about and allowed the intrusion.

Before he could log into the machine, it froze. After a couple more attempts he stated that it had to be "'escalated', for a mere $99", adding "that it's half the normal $199 price." I told him to forget it, I'm not paying any more. He left me the code and I got off the phone, thinking 'bait and switch'?

again probably not pcmatic but something must be going on for so many people to write similar reviews about being ripped off by pc matic, malware already on their pcs causing bad redirects to a pcmatic like site? :shrug:

I purchased the PC Matic through PC Pitstop after watching a commercial on TV. My computer was running really slow, and I needed help. I purchased the PC Matic Home 5 payment installations for a 1 year subscription. However when I got my credit card statement it showed the payment of $49.99 in full. Rip-off! Once installed on my computer, it caused havoc on everything. It worked like a virus, wiping out programs, and data. My computer was a complete mess and certain programs I had been able to access for years, I could no long access. I had to pay someone to delete the PC Matic off my computer and repair all the damage it caused. I do NOT recommend anyone to ever purchase this in the future. I noticed on their website, there is NO address to mail a letter to, NO phone number to contact. I have to email my complaint on a standardized form on their website, and wait for someone to answer me. If this was an honest business why wouldn't they give you their physical or mailing address? How about a phone number for something other than "Technical Support." I regret every purchasing this product. It's a scam that put viruses ON my computer. CAUTION: Do NOT purchase this product and do NOT install it on your computer. I am sure sorry I did!

you and i know pc matic is not a virus program but that's the impression people must get when they do an internet search to see if the program is worth downloading and purchasing after seeing your ad on tv.

Some of the complaints are too ludicrous to be believed:

only if you know anything about pc's and seeing how the product is in fact aimed at exactly the opposite people, ones who know nothing and just want a program they think will fix all their pc woes then i would think yes most would believe nearly everything bad they read about the program and not purchase it, even worse they will spread what they have read on too, prime example would be that bc topic.

i still believe some live contact options can only improve it's reputation on the net and with your customers.

obviously that's just my opinion gleaned from reading said reviews while trying to find out others opinions on the program, and from what rob says things are going well for pc matic so obviously i'm in a minority either that or as well as things are going they could be 100% better. :mrgreen:

July was a record month in sales and profits. Our year on year growth was 65%. Please remember that this is before we begin marketing that we just proved PC Matic is more effective at blocking viruses. Here is my write up on the VB100.

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2014/07/31/pc-matic-breaks-virus-detection-record-virus-bulletins-rap-test/

We are now growing at over 100% per year and I believe that this new ad will make us grow faster.

I believe that the market wants higher detection rates. A new VB test came out and our false positive rate went from 1000 /1,000,000 which is an accuracy rate of 99.9% to 300/900,000 which 99.97% accuracy on good files. The problem is that the entire security industry is built around the notion that there is zero tolerance for false positives and high tolerance for false negatives. I believe the market is actually wants the opposite and our sales are proof of that.