Sign in to follow this  
Andrew S.

PC Matic & Security Essentials

In view of the general advice not to run 2 A/Vs at the same time, is there any problem with running M/S security Essentials alongside PC Matic and Supershield?

And Given that PC Matic is important to me, do I still need Security Essentials?

In view of the general advice not to run 2 A/Vs at the same time, is there any problem with running M/S security Essentials alongside PC Matic and Supershield?

And Given that PC Matic is important to me, do I still need Security Essentials?

In my opinion if you have PC Matic w/Supershield you don't need MS Security Essentials... That would be as you say running two AV's...

I have PC Matic w/Supershield and it's all I use. ;)

:geezer:

wow, compared to other virus protection vipre is terrible, although a bit better than security essentials. vipre was also terrible on the "wrongly blocked" scoring.

out of the 19 tested, vipre comes in 16th place on the detection scale and actually overall finished in 18th out of 19th...i would ditch anything that uses that ASAP.

andrew: bitdefender, kaspersky, trend-micro, and f-secure are your best bets...avoid supershield with extreme prejudice.

have a look at page 9

Edited by badbinary

BitDefender always has the highest ratings for the best detection, but BitDefender also has the highest false-positive rate too

Andrew,

SuperShield is the exact opposite of every other AV product out there in that SuperShield works from a white list of known good programs instead of a black list of known bad programs.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/supershield_info.asp

http://www.pcpitstop.com/reports/threats/default.asp

my opinion, use mse like bb pointed out vipre is about as bad as you can get for real time av protection, personally i don't think even having a "white list" is going to stop you being affected by malware.

i really don't see why if the malware isn't stopped before getting on your pc by your av it can't pretend to be a legitimate program and one of the programs guaranteed to be on the white list anyway.

so a good real time av in the first place to stop initial infection would always be my recommendation.

no expert in this area tho and that's just my opinion.

if mse and pc matic with supersheild seem to play along with each other then i see no reason why you can't use both except for some slow down in general use of the pc (if it's noticeable and annoying then you'll have to choose.) then everything should be fine.

pc's are a lot faster today so can usually handle running 2 av's (unlike in years gone past.) the problems occur when they interfere with each other so stop each other from doing the job they are installed for.

:b33r:

wonder what the figures are for pc's being cleaned in the malware section that were running supersheild and were infected anyway. of course i'll never know because it is a pc pitstop program so they won't want to advertise any failures, sad fact is that no av can keep a pc malware free, no matter what each may claim. yes they do make it much less likely you'll be infected but there is no 100% foolproof way to stop it happening, not even for linux.

Edited by terry1966

Andrew, I've been using PC Matic w/Supershield on 5 PC's for at least 2 years now and the only problem I've had is because of MY stupidity. It works and I believe...

not saying much there caintry, i know some of the things you "believe" and i wouldn't trust them at all. :pullhair:

not to be taken seriously, just having some fun with you. :P

"pretend to be a legitimate program and one of the programs guaranteed to be on the white list anyway."

The white list goes by the MD5 hash, not the file name. The file can be named whatever the writer wants, but I've yet to see an MD5 hash that wasn't unique. Of course there are other ways to get a virus onto a computer, but it won't be through an executable file. PC Matic addresses exploits and vulnerabilites as well.

In the last 2 years, we have been focusing on making Super Shield into the absolute best real time protection on the market. In the last few months, I think that we have accomplished that goal and Super Shield blocks about 50% more viruses than traditional AV.

We made the Security Center to prove this fact.

http://pcpitstop.com/reports/threats/default.asp

We have also collected a lot more samples than all of our competitors as well. I am in the process of hiring the PR resources to help get the word out.

We use MD5 hash to determine a file's uniqueness. So best I can tell, it is still quite good for that purpose but it is not good for encrypting passwords.

Hope this helps, and I hope that you will be reading about Super Shield, PC Matic and PC Matic Home Security in the press a lot more in the near future.

seeing something on other independent antivirus reviews would make you look much better.

honestly...a tv commercial?

Can you possibly get these folks to make an evaluation and provide public results?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

http://www.pcsecuritylabs.net/

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/general/1295275/independent-security-test-shows-best-home-anti-virus-software

even this would help too

http://www.cnet.com/topic-reviews/antivirus.html

Edited by Joe C

seeing something on other independent antivirus report labs would make you look much better.honestly...a tv commercial?

this^

what makes supershield better than vipre in how it protects? are you saying that the report linked above is unfair and/or incorrect?

i think it's pretty easy to make a bogus file have the same md5 sum as another legitimate file, it's called a collision attack, so i think it's a mistake to rely on it as your main security feature, and as joe pointed out no amount of self praise (adverts) does anything to prove how good or bad your software works in the real world and the only thing that matters is to have your software tested by the experts and compared to other av solutions.

i respect everyone involved with this site and it's software and know your trying to make the best av out there but i'm afraid i'm one of the sceptics that need more than just talk before i could honestly recommend it to anyone as their main av.

Did any of you have a chance to look at the Security Center? A lot of effort was put into creating it but the problem is that there is a lot of information and one needs to have some understanding of how security software works to get through it.

The TV advertising is working for us and we have to have an efficient way to acquire new customers. That said, TV advertising is not good at delivering a complicated and also controversial message about security software. Most people purchase PC Matic for PC maintenance and not PC security.

So my idea is that we will continue to do TV advertising and then layer in PR on top of that. This month (August), I will be reaching out to the people that write for our newsletter. Then in September, I am going to London to talk to the press there. Then in October, hopefully some of the PR resources I am assembling start to click and we can get some American press before the end of the year.

So in answer to Joe's last question, we are working on the press but it will take many months to get the word out.

i really like you guys because of stuff like this thread and i really respect you rob, but i have to ask: are you refuting the independent analysis or would you agree that it is accurate?

Rob to me the Security Center looks good and I like it! Showed no vulnerabilities on my PC (I usse PC Matic) and I found the virus info interesting. I keep pushing PC Matic at every opportunity because I use it and I'm happy with it and Supershield gives me good results.

So in answer to Joe's last question, we are working on the press but it will take many months to get the word out.

I thought I asked for an independent analysis of your software, by a reputable firm.

Sorry Rob and I mean no disrespect but As Seen On TV doesn't cut the mustard for a lot people, that puts it in a similar category as "My Clean PC"

http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Avoid-Clean-PC--ftopict65244.html

I know that PC Pitstop software is good, and not anything nasty but how many people out there that see Clean Up My PC, Speed Up My PC or My Clean PC ads on tv and end up getting burned?

I think your software would give people a lot of confidence in it's trust if it had a public review from an independent software testing facility, plus it would look great to put into your ads also

Edited by Joe C

Did any of you have a chance to look at the Security Center? A lot of effort was put into creating it but the problem is that there is a lot of information and one needs to have some understanding of how security software works to get through it.

yes i did have a look at it, and the problem is not that there is a lot of info there. the problem is that the info there is worthless.

it is your results, on your web page, promoting your software, so does absolutely nothing to prove or disprove any claims you make about it.

the only proof worth having is from reputable independent trusted sources with comparisons to other av makers, and for one reason or another you seem afraid to put your software under such scrutiny by those independent security experts who run such tests.

so until you do that, no matter what results you claim or how much money you spend on pr your software will never be one any expert in the security/malware field will ever recommend to anyone else in good conscience because it just doesn't have those independent proofs to backup your claims.

sorry if that upsets you rob but that's honestly the truth as i see it.

of course that's just my opinion and everyone round here knows i'm no expert on the subject. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966

First off, PC Matic does have VB100 which one cannot ignore. That is a big deal and a lot of people in the security industry thought we would never get it. That said, just getting the certification does not prove much because our message is much larger than that.

We are putting together a plan to reach out to journalists, the testing houses and so on.

I don't expect for everyone to jump to PC Matic over night, and there is and should be quite a bit of skepticism. But it was my hope, that someone would read it and can tell that we are not just making this stuff up.

There are 5 things that PC Matic and PC Matic Home Security does that no other security product does.

1. Digitally signed black list. We block at the company level not at the file level. Since the file is digitally signed we can do it extremely accurately and we do this and no one else does. BTW. I am going to work with the testing houses, but we have samples on all the files that we block that no one has. But you have to ask your self where VB100 and the like get their samples.

2. Unsigned vendors. We have created another black list for vendors. We also showed here that Microsoft is one of the leading virus makers in this category. Does this not help give people insight into the problem that we are all facing?

3. White List. PC Matic also uses a white list which allows us to block far more than any other product.

4. Samples. In addition to that, we collect samples from our users. First we protect them, and then we upload the sample. Yea, I guess I might be making this all up because I am so self serving and everything, or maybe we really do have more samples than everyone else. Have you guys heard of Virus Total? There are many security companies that have no way to acquire new samples outside of Virus Total.

5. Vulnerabilities. This is important. Our research shows that 90% of computers have one or more vulnerability. We close those holes. No one else does that too.

Last and not least. PC Matic Home Security is free for non commercial purposes. So why not give it a try and see whether it protects your computers bettter? If you look at the Security Center, you can figure out that we have to block just about any new virus out there.

We will work with the test houses and the journalists.

I will tell you guys one more thing, which you may or may not discard.

Like I said, we have a lot of samples. So we did a study of 150 recent viruses, and we tested it against everybody. And the results were astonishing. Of our 150 viruses, a lot of the biggest of big security products blocked NONE of them. Zero. Zip.

I decided that this was not enough, so we are going to do another one with thousands of viruses. Of course, you guys will never believe this because I of course rigged the results to make myself look good and everyone else bad.

Just one thing. We have been around a long time. Over 15 years. Do you really think that we got this far by just making up self serving stuff without any regard to the truth?

rob it is not a question of you rigging anything, but you really really really must stop making claims that are exaggerated or not 100% true before people will take you and your software more seriously, it does nothing for your reputation and in fact only harms it when the software probably doesn't really deserve harm.

you are not the only security product that uses a white list, and you can not close all vulnerabilities, just the known ones and then only if there is a patch available, lots don't even have patches available to close those holes so how can you honestly claim to do it?

also if i remember correctly your ads used to claim people would never get another virus using your product, which as you know is something nobody can guarantee ever because the biggest problem with a pc's security usually isn't the software but the person behind the keyboard.

didn't know you had a vb100 until now so congrats for that, even tho i believe it is the easiest award to get, that doesn't diminish it's worth and look forward to seeing you get more. (wasn't the best tho judging from the graph posted in earlier link somewhere and should of been judging by all your claims.) but as you know that is only a first step to building your reputation in the security industry so look forward to seeing your software tested and compared by more independent testers against other av software like you have plans for.

then i would have no problems recommending it (depending on the results.) but until then no sorry i can't honestly recommend it with a clear conscience even tho it's now free.

didn't know it was free for home use until now either, always thought it was a paid for product, so what are the differences between the free and paid versions?

can't test it myself because i don't have a windows pc up and running and without expert testing procedures it wouldn't really prove anything anyway.

personally all av's would protect me with my internet use and practises and why we rely so much on expert testing for judging an av's true abilities in the real world using dynamic and not just static testing procedures.

as always this is just my honest but un-expert opinion. :P

as a computer person and a systems engineer, i really don't care at all about the sales pitch unless it's over the top like mycleanpc.

all i want is to see independent analysis covering many areas and comparing to many other products. i like graphs and tables, not shiny sales pitches.

for the record, rob, i don't think anyone doubts your integrity here. don't take us wrong like that...i think this is good for you to receive creative criticism from end users and people familiar with various anti-malware products.