Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

Moving Files When There is Already a File With the Same Name in the Lo

When you get this message, is it asking me if I want to Move and Replace the next 9 conflicts, Don't Move the next 9 conflicts, or keep the newer of the next 9 conflicts?

What if i want to keep only the most recent version when there is a conflict? Then, do you have to go through them individually?

Posted Image

Bruce, the one he is moving is older than the one he is replacing. That's not what he wanted to do.

If you are curious and don't know ahead of time which one is newer (the one you want to keep) then I would recommend checking them as you go through them just to be sure.

you could simply rename the older file (if you wish to keep it) to something like OldGeometry.odt and then the files won't conflict

There is only 1 way to go if you are in doubt, you need to open each file side by side and decide which is the one to keep, then delete the one that's not required, it's the ONLY solution if you may lose something you need, you do have 1 further option if time is a factor, select the move but keep both files option, it will probably rename the file to abc...(1) or similar, then you can decide which to delete when you have more time.

Is there freeware that will do the same thing (move files) but allow you to set rules? This was an easy folder. What's going to happen when I do My Documents folder with 86,350 files in 13,398 folders. I can't possibly examine each one individually.

I'd like a program that would allow you to merge folders and if there is a match, tell it to keep the newest or oldest or largest or smallest, etc.

Edited by MrHappyGoLucky12

Backup is the FIRST rule of thumb to always apply when you merging a largish number of files.

If you backup the locations your moving to and from, then when you make an error you can recover from it.

I think caintry_boy has it right with the third option. Then as you access the files over the natural course of time you can determine which one you want to keep.

Backup is the FIRST rule of thumb to always apply when you merging a largish number of files.

If you backup the locations your moving to and from, then when you make an error you can recover from it.

I think caintry_boy has it right with the third option. Then as you access the files over the natural course of time you can determine which one you want to keep.

Triple backup here! :)

No it would not. If ALL the files in the original location were the oldest, then it would be fine. If the newest version of the file is mixed between the two locations then you'd end up with some of the newer and some of the older. The basic windows option just simply assumes that you are intending to overwrite ALL the files in the location when you check that box and tell it to do it to all.

I don't know of any third party software, but you make look into some backup suites. They should be able to tell if you have a newer version and use that to overwrite an older while keeping the ALREADY new versions in tact.

I've never had to deal with such a large number of files at once, lol. My normal setup is to just copy the entire thing once a month to a separate folder, then overwrite that backup monthly with new stuff.