Sign in to follow this  
dianamite

re: Java... is it safe now? After all the warnings, etc. have not hear

no it is not recommended by the experts to have it installed for security reasons unless it is something you need/use .

so unless you actually need it, and judging by you having it disabled anyway, i'd guess not in your case (along with most people.), so i'd recommend uninstalling jre completely from your pc along with everyone else who has it installed but don't really need it.

jre is and always will be, in my opinion, a security nightmare full of vulnerabilities.

here's something you might find interesting :- http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240181037/Enterprises-abandon-Java-due-to-security-holes

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

here's 2 more links about java that you might find interesting especially if you don't want to remove java from your pc, the second is the most informative in my opinion just because it tells you the difference between java and javascript.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57564316-263/do-you-need-to-uninstall-java-to-be-safe-from-its-vulnerabilities/

http://ask-leo.com/should_i_disable_java_and_if_so_how.html

some people even suggest having 2 browsers, your usual one for every day use with java disabled and a second one just for those odd occasions you may find you need java with it enabled.

when the Java scare came out I uninstalled it to see how long it might be before I encountered a site that would require it. It was actually two or three months of clear sailing. But when I went to update my Nvidia drivers it told me I needed Java (I THINK this is the site that required it) so I re-installed.

I guess I could uninstall and simply install as needed.

just curious but what did you need java for on the nvidia site? i'd have thought a site like that would be using html5 by now anyway.

depending on how often you update your drivers i think the best option for you might be the 2 browser one, keeping java fully updated, let it update itself on one and disabled on your every day browser..

Edited by terry1966

I believe the auto-detect uses java off the website.

Personally I have left Java on and in use. I actually do use it quite often and as irony would have it, a couple game I play use java as well, including Minecraft. I've suffered no ill effects from having Java which leads me to the belief that it isn't having the program that is the problem, but what you do/where you go that IS.

My 2 cents

Edited by wdeydwondrer

:tup:

i've always used the manual search for drivers so that's probably why i never knew the nvidia site needs java.

also got confused in earlier post html5 is replacing flash not java. :rofl3:

yea, I do use the auto-detect on the Nvidia site. I guess the only reason I was able to go two or three months before needing Java is because I recently replaced my AMD HD 6850 graphics card (fan started making noise) with a GTX 650 TI and that took me to Nvidia to make sure the drivers were current.

Sorry to chime in late but came looking for exactly this thread. I had disabled it at the start of the issue then I removed it altogether a couple of months ago with no real problems, wife can still play facebook games so no stress there at least :) When I must have something I use Chrome.

However, I actually uninstalled Java for a specific reason - a virus was detected by Windows security, and it installed a shortcut on the desktop to some a/v tool sorry forget the name but the truly alarming thing is that somehow it evaded Windows security sufficiently to actually put an exe file on my hard drive, and if I hadn't carefully looked at the Properties panel of the shortcut carefully before I did anything I would have been none the wiser. That day I also checked the DHS website for news about the issue and read this, and there it was, the aha moment:

"Symantec discovered new forms of Java malware that infect Mac and Windows computers. Both forms can launch a trojan that can trigger a backdoor on the computer, allowing unauthenticated access. – Threatpost (See item 55) "

So, a resounding NO! from me, Java is not safe at all. PS I am 51 and well experienced, honestly never had a virus get past in all the years, so this was a real wake-up. The rest of the info can be found here, but before you have to go looking I found no recent updates :)

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/DHS_Daily_Report_2012-04-26.pdf