Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

Lost Windows XP Home CD...

I have an old laptop for my nephews to play around on. I lost my original XP Home installation CD, so I downloaded an .iso of the file from a torrent. The .iso is only 519 MB. That can't be right, can it? I would expect a couple gigs.

Does anyone know a legit download site or torrent for the XP Home edition? I have the product key on the sticker on the bottom; I just need the software.

I don't think it's possible to legally download XP with out a tech express account.

Edited by Joe C

I bought a copy of XP Pro off Ebay awhile back that was for Dell but worked fine for my OEM stickered XP machine. ;) On your license key sticker does it say OEM? What make is your laptop?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.XWindows+XP+Home+cd&_nkw=Windows+XP+Home+cd&_sacat=0&_from=R40

:geezer:

Since the laptop is running Windows XP it is going to be hard to find a legit source for a replacement OEM disc. Start with the laptop manufacturer. Some may not have them but still may be able to direct you to a third part source that does.

The advantage of an OEM disc is that it has all the drivers for your laptop. A retail version would work if your can find it but you may need addional drivers. The manufacturer of your laptop probably has them available for download on their website.

Somtimes you can use the disc from another computer made by the same company. For example, I used the disc from a HP laptop to reinstall Windows XP Home Premium on a Compaq desktop PC. Technically this is probably not legal. I do not feel guilty about it since I made sure I changed the other computer's Product Key set to the one printed on its Certicate of Authority label.

Normally I would suggest that the OP contact the manufacture for recovery disks too, but XP is showing it's age and getting OEM recovery disks today may be a slim chance from anybody, they are usually a limited supply produced and when they run out...they're out

i don't know why you're being told you can't legally download it, you certainly can. as long as your key is legal it doesn't matter.

and yeah, 519 gigs sounds about right for xp home. it is important that the version you download matches the key. like mr ed said if you have an oem sticker then you need the oem version.

Let me make my comment more clearer for those that do not comprehend.

There are no legal sites approved by Microsoft to download XP except through a tech express account ( in a technical legalistic term)

yes I'm sure anybody can find anything on the net including an .iso for XP. It's one method how Rootkits, Trojans and botnets could get on your pc

and yeah, 519 gigs sounds about right for xp home. it is important that the version you download matches the key. like mr ed said if you have an oem sticker then you need the oem version.

Windows XP is on a CD disk. CD disks only have a capacity of 700 mbI agree, the OEM XP home version I have with no service packs is 536 mbWith SP2 the the OEM version is 562 mb.being an .iso it sounds about right. Edited by Joe C

Let me make my comment more clearer for those that do not comprehend.

There are no legal sites approved by Microsoft to download XP except through a tech express account ( in a technical legalistic term)

yes I'm sure anybody can find anything on the net including an .iso for XP. It's one method how Rootkits, Trojans and botnets could get on your pc

The site I mentioned, http://buyactivationkeys.com/microsoft-windows-xp-home-edition-full-version-with-sp3-p-1375.html, sells you the activation key for $10 and gives you a direct download link that has a very long URL, but is on the microsoft.com domain.

You can, of course, simply borrow an XP CD of the same type as yours (most likely OEM). I have reviewed Microsoft's licensing terms, and nowhere are you required to use an original, Microsoft or OEM-pressed CD, nor is making copies forbidden. The license criteria is centered on the Product Key.

Putting aside the legal side of downloaded ISOs, you can verify whether your copy is unaltered by comparing the calculated SHA-1 hash with the published value. Or, using the reciprocal method, look up the SHA-1 for the version you need and search with that value.for files. Calculate the SHA-1 of your download to confirm the match.

EDIT: MSDN Subscriber Downloads lists several dozen XP ISOs with SHA-1 hashes, although I think they're full retail and volume licensed editions. Click the "Details" links for, well, details...

msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx#searchTerm=&ProductFamilyId=140&Languages=en&PageSize=100&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

Edited by TomGL2

I've been extra busy but will try all your suggestions today or tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Is a bootable CD or flash drive better or the same?

The site I mentioned, http://buyactivationkeys.com/microsoft-windows-xp-home-edition-full-version-with-sp3-p-1375.html, sells you the activation key for $10 and gives you a direct download link that has a very long URL, but is on the microsoft.com domain.

Windows on my laptop will not come on under any mode. I think it is history. I want to use the site that you have mentioned here on your post and order my key. However; I see that they want to e-mail all of this to me which is a problem for me on my laptop since it will not come up to get on line. I have my desk top that I am on now. If I have them e-mail the key to my desk top I do not know how I will be able to use it or install it on my laptop. Any help for me?

Windows on my laptop will not come on under any mode. I think it is history. I want to use the site that you have mentioned here on your post and order my key. However; I see that they want to e-mail all of this to me which is a problem for me on my laptop since it will not come up to get on line. I have my desk top that I am on now. If I have them e-mail the key to my desk top I do not know how I will be able to use it or install it on my laptop. Any help for me?

Yes. The email shouldn't have to come to the laptop all you should have to do is write down the key, reinstall Windows on the laptop and when it asks for the license key just enter the one you were sent.

:geezer: