Sign in to follow this  
AMDX1325

can bad psu cause random bsod?

here are the symptoms:

1) I get bsod spontaneously, it could be a few minute into usage or couple hours into usage, sometimes a whole day before it crashes.

2) I get a different error every time i get a bsod, its either from bad video drivers, bad usb ports, bad memory and bunch of other random reasons as suggested by dump files.

3) The above only happened very recently, the computer was rock solid for months.

what i've done to find out the cause:

1) I used driver verifier to check my drivers, they appear fine but I reinstalled my video driver anyway.

2) I used windows memory diagnostic to test the ram, they appear fine (note: I did go through THREE PAIRS of ram on this computer, they seem to go bad every once in a while, this one I bought earlier this year).

3) I checked out the PSU, which according to Speedfan is running two of the three +5V rails at 6.85V,while all other voltages are within 10% tolerances. Is this a cause for concern?

4) I checked my hardware cooling, they are fine, no over heating according to Speedfan.

5) I used disc check on my main hard drive, it appears there is no corruption or bad sectors.

my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 980 CPU

Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO Mobo

16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

1TB Hitachi 3GB Sata HDD (Dual drive format for dual booting Win7 and WinXP) + a 2TB WD Black 3GB Sata HDD + 3TB WD Blue 6GB Sata HDD + 1TB WD Green (External HDD)

AMD 7970 HD GPU

Asus Xonar DX SPU

OCZ 700Watt Modular PSU

my question:

can bad psu cause random bsod? I've yet to be able to resolve this matter...

Edited by AMDX1325

Use Memtest86 to test your memory > http://www.memtest86.com/

Use something like ImgBurn to burn the .iso to cd then boot to it and run several passes or overnight.

I've used Speedfan in the past and was never satisfied with the readings. Try HWMonitor for voltages and temps... > http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.23.zip

The actual BEST way to check PSU is with a volt-ohm meter or PSU tester > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=99-705-003&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=true&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&chkPurchaseMark=on&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

I'd lean toward the PSU or motherboard for problems and there is No way you should be going through RAM like that...I have several sets that have been running for years and are still good RAM.

:geezer:

PSU or main board take your pick

• power down and pull power from the PC

• get a lot of light going and open the box

• Closely examine the main board for any hardware that looks damaged.

• Closely examine main board for any bit or piece that looks to have a faulty or damaged attachment to the board.

• Examine main board for foreign debris.

• Closely examine every wire for frayed or damaged (look for heat damage too) or exposed outer covering and damage connecting points

• Make sure any unused power cables/connections are not in contact or within 2-3 inches of the main board, fans, and installed main board components (ex. video card), except they may be near other cables/wires, remember the fans blow and things move, and the box is likely sitting with gravity moving things different than you see it while examining it, any doubt of any kind about any wire making a connecting contact with something it shouldn't - bind the wire with a plastic zippy tie to something safe and if some wire or bundle of wires remain questionable even after using zip tie then cover/bind/wrap esp the connecting end with electrical tape

• After your done poking and prodding before you put it back together give a proper, correctly angled, and firmly supported "shove together" applied to every single power connection that exists between the PSU and main board and check the connections for the wires not carrying supplied power but only making connections

• check the PSU power cord connection points and then change it for another that looks new, if nothing else exchange it with the monitor power cord

• check the wall plug for proper ground, an inexpensive simple lights on/off plug in checker can be found at most hardware type stores

• if your using any other kind of electrical connector or device between the PSU and wall power source examine it/them closely and if possible remove it from the puzzle temporarily to eliminate it as cause, if your unsure of the device just replace it

Edited by oftentired

After much troubleshooting, and with the help of our fellow forum members, I've determined the culprit to be the following:

1) Corrupt Video Drivers (I had to resolve it using the most thorough method of using driver sweeper and do a fresh reinstall of drivers)

2) Bad Memory Stick (I tested my old ram sticks, and swapped in another set, the new set hasn't crashed since I installed it yesterday)

I did note that my motherboard seem to go through memory stick alot, 4 years and 3 sets fried, but I rather just keep getting new ram sticks until I could afford building another new system. And BSOD information proved useless in my circumstance, because it pointed to everywhere, however, it still gave me some clues to deduct from.

Edited by AMDX1325