Sign in to follow this  
Psychotron

How do I set up triple monitors on my computer?

My video card has a DVI and an Analog output. I'm using them both for two monitors. I want to get a third. How would I go about doing that? Do I just need to get a video card that supports triple monitors and that's it? I want to be sure before I go out and buy one that I don't need anything else.  I'm having a hard time finding one online, maybe I'm not searching properly. I keep getting results that show DVI and Analog splitters, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work. I don't care about the quality of my third monitor, but I'd like the first and second one to still be decent quality. Although I don't play games on them, just watch TV, homework, and youtube sometimes, so the quality doesn't have to be THAT great. I'd like it to expand my desktop over all three monitors, and I'd like to use all three at once. If possible, I'd also like the graphics card to have a TV tuner in it. Any suggestions on what video card to get?<Here are my specs:HP Pavilion p6680t series: Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i5-650 dual-core processor [3.2Ghz, 512KB, L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs], 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, Intel HD Graphics [VGA], 16x max DVD/RW SuperMulti drive, TV tuner ATSC-NTSC with PVR.Thank you,Brad Burton

PS. I just used EVEREST to identify my motherboard and here is the information:

CPU Type: 2x, 3200 MHzMotherboard Name: UnknownMotherboard Chipset: UnknownSystem Memory: 5815 MBBIOS Type: Unknown

Edit: On CPU-Z for Motherboard it says:

Manufacturer: MSIModel: 2A9C 1.1

Chipset: Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge Rev. 18

SouthBridge: Intel H57 Rev. 06

LPCIO: Fintek F71858DG

Edited by Psychotron

It's just the Card. It does say "Intel Graphics and Media" in device manager. It's the card that came with the computer. I looked at it from CPU-Z and it says I'm using "Intel HD Graphics" in the graphics tab. It says:

Name: Intel HD Graphics

Code Name: Carkdale

Revision: 18

Technology: 45nm

Clocks > Core: 733 MHz

Memory > Size: 128 MBytes

Edited by Psychotron

Looked into it a bit and it would look like your only option to get 3 monitors on your current setup would be to get a dedicated graphics card. In some computers I've seen people using their onboard graphics as a third monitor hook up (2 on a dedicated card), but from searching online, I haven't found any "off the shelf" computer system that allows you to still use the onboard graphics once a dedicated card is installed (I could be wrong, I just haven't seen it).

So you'll want to find a graphics card that has 3 outputs for you. Ideally you would step up to the displayport deal and just daisy chain them, but from the sounds, your monitors might be older and not have this port. You'd have to get something like this, or any card that will be compatible with your monitors (note what kind of DVI hook up you have as they are not all compatible). You'll be happy with the performance even at that price point coming from onboard graphics.

Also, your idea of a splitter would work if you wanted multiple monitors to display the same image only.

My experience with tv tuner cards is about 8-10 years out of date, lol, so can't help much about that

OK. Thanks. Do you think something like this would work? http://www.amazon.com/Matrox-TripleHead2Go-Three-Monitor-Graphics-Expansion/dp/B000RMQZ96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370309719&sr=8-1&keywords=TripleHead2Go

I know it's not that cheap, but if it worked, I could use that and still keep my current card with the TV Tuner.

Edited by Psychotron

OH wait. I took my computer cover off and it looks like my speaker inputs, VGA and DVI inputs, ethernet, and USB ports are all grouped together and connected to the same huge "card (motherboard?)" in my computer. I don't think I can take it out. Each input is just connected directly to it. It looks like my TV Tuner is a separate card (that's what I meant when I said that it's "just the card", I thought that was my graphics card). Can I buy one of the video cards you suggested and just put it into an empty slot and just use that as my video card instead of what I'm using?

Edited by Psychotron

That would depend on what slot the tv tuner card is using and how much space you have. Have a look at this picture and describe which slot the tv tuner card is using. The dedicated graphics cards of today use the PCI-E x16 (the long slot) for almost all of them. It would also be helpfull if you could snap a picture of the inside of the computer showing all the slots on the board.

I tried to google what computer you have and it APPEARS to me that you have a PCI-E x16 slot as the highest one, then 2 of the PCI-E x1 slots below it. Most dedicated cards are taking up 2 slots these days, one where it plugs in to the x16 slot, and a second slot over top of any free slot for the fans and heatsinks. We're really looking here to see if you have the space or if you need to look for a single wide graphics card (or possibly moving your tuner card to another slot if physically able).

Yes, your usb, audio, graphics, etc right now are all part of the mainboard/motherboard. They are 'integrated' and can't be removed. Beyond addon cards (tv tuner or graphics and such) the only removeable parts tend to be your cpu (under the large heatsink and fan) and the ram (the long, skinny sticks plugged in near the cpu).

EDIT>> The card that CB linked is a very good card, but I would not recommend a high end card like that as you stated you do not video game. For tv and youtube only, a card in that range would be a little overkill.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Yes. I just looked at my computer specs on HP's site and this is what I have:
  • [*]
PCI Express x16: 1

• [*]
PCI Express x1: 3

• [*]
PCI Express x1 minicard socket: 1

My PCI Express x16 slot is free so I can use that. I noticed that it says "dual slot" on the SPARKLE card you recommended. I do have an extra PCI Express x1 that I could make room for above it, but the back of the my computer is assembled in such a way that there is a metal bar above and below separating each card. However, it doesn't look like the card ends on the back of my computer go completely up against the metal bars. They are "slightly" recessed. I bet the metal end of the SPARKLE card doesn't need to go all the way up against into the metal bar on my computer as long as the inputs are showing. Do you have any thoughts?

I would say a more name brand http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2048MB-Graphics-02G-P3-2639-KR/dp/B008Y8PON8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
I wasn't really recommending a manufacturer though, just a card type.

I'm really not sure what metal bars you are talking about. If you are able to snap a picture of the inside of your case pointing out the issue and the motherboard, that would be immensely helpful. Ofcourse, if you did just get a single slot card, you wouldn't have to worry about it at all! Though you would obviously need an hdmi connector on one, DVI, and then older VGA.

Edit> Or the card I linked has 2 dvi and 1 mini hdmi

Edit 2> I'm actually starting to see a couple reviews of people claiming they can't get all 3 ports to work at the same time on those cards. I can't confirm or deny this, but if you have the free space below the pci-e x16 slot, i would really recommend a dual slot card that we know will work.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Going on vacation tommorow, so if you try and get ahold of me, it might take a few days. Others in here are also more than willing to assist so don't be afraid to post if you run into an issue! Hope you enjoy the new card