Sign in to follow this  
joestpaul

How to make a win 7 bootable dvd

I have tried to make a bootable backup copy of my windows 7 home premium dvd and the program ask me where the bootable image is on my disk. Can anyone help point me to the bootable disk image.

Thanks in advance

Joe

It sounds like you're using an unnecessarily complicated method to copy the DVD. There's usually a simple disc copy function. CDBurnerXP, for example, has a dedicated "Copy Data" feature.

what program are you using to make this backup dvd?

unless you have actually copied the install dvd onto your hard drive as an image in the first place there isn't going to be an image to find and write to a blank dvd, if you have copied it to your hard drive where did you copy it to? that is where the image is going to be. :mrgreen:

the image is going to have a .iso file extension so i'd do a search for *.iso to find where you put the image, here's a link that explains how to do a search in win 7. :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/advanced-tips-for-searching-in-windows

what your actually trying to do is make a 1 to 1 copy of the original dvd.

imgburn :- http://www.imgburn.com/ seems to be the most recommended program for doing this, first you copy the dvd to your hard drive as an image and then you burn that image to a blank dvd.

i believe a win 7 install dvd is a dual layer dvd so you will need a dual layer dvd writer and dual layer blank dvd to accomplish what you want.

don't forget legally your only allowed to make 1 backup copy of your install dvd.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Win7 isn't a dual layer. Have been trying for awhile now to press my copy onto a dual layer since i've added all the updates since SP1 and I can NOT get it to install properly from a daul layer no matter how I try. If I take off all the updates and just press SP1 onto a single layer dvd, it works just fine.

This is also for a Win7x64 ultimate install.

don't forget legally your only allowed to make 1 backup copy of your install dvd.

I think that that's not the case. I haven't been able to find a prohibition from Microsoft against copying, which makes sense since software activation is required. For backups in general, the rule is to have at least three copies of anything critical.

Another point is that Microsoft provides ISOes of the installation discs, and there is no practicable difference between the ISO and the burned disc. This raises the question that, if there is a "one backup copy" limit, does having the ISO and the disc count as two copies? Or should duplicating the DVD and duplicating the file be considered separately?

As I recall, Microsoft provided instructions to users for making XP CDes that integrated SP2 and SP3, and a huge amount of these "slipstreamed" discs have been made.

As the critical component is the Product Key without which the disc is useless, I'm fairly certain that you can duplicate the disc an indefinite number of times.

Edited by TomGL2

i believe the 1 copy of proprietary software on whatever medium, dvd, cd etc has nothing to do with microsofts terms of use but actually falls under the copyright laws of most countries.

so yes you are breaking the law if you make more than a single copy of the install disc, as far as i'm aware.

:b33r:

it's also in the eula this is from win 7 ultimates eula (pdf.) :- javascript:fnopenURL('http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows_7%20Ultimate_English_6d4624d7-f664-455e-9a08-433223886d7e.pdf')

10. BACKUP COPY.
a.Media. If you acquired the software on a disc or other media, you may make one backup copy
of the media. You may use it only to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.
b.Electronic Download. If you purchased and downloaded the software online, you may make
one copy of the software on a disc or other media in order to install the software on a computer.
You may also use it to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.

Edited by terry1966