Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Windows; Its Over

"isp friendly" doesn't mean much. it depends upon the protocol used by the mail server.

i believe you're referring to pop3 which windows mail does not support...this is an antiquated protocol that is being used less and less in favor of imap (which it does support). it's quite possible that if your isp account is using pop3 that they can change it to imap.

either way, i use microsoft outlook for all my mail.

Thank you bb, it's pop3 exclusively, so no imap option.

I'll point them towards thunderbird.

Appreciate the help.

:) Y

Actually he is smart enough not to be investing in his old company these days.

Gates’s fortune has also benefited from a rally in stock holdings that include the Canadian National Railway Co. and waste-collection company Republic Services Inc (RSG).

Most of Gates’s fortune is held through Cascade Investment LLC, a holding entity through which he owns stakes in more than a dozen publicly traded companies and several closely held operations, including Four Seasons hotels and Corbis Corp. Less than a quarter of Gates’s fortune is held in Microsoft.

I found that whole debate about Win8 being the gamers choice amusing! I have more than a couple games that simply won't even turn on under Win8.

Bruce, about linux continuing to become more mainstream, how is it doing with gaming? Most titles are still being released in Windows environment is linux catching up? Or do we have a new version of WINE to play the games? Ability to play my titles is one of the only things holding me back and I haven't looked into it for a year or so.

I found that whole debate about Win8 being the gamers choice amusing! I have more than a couple games that simply won't even turn on under Win8.

Bruce, about linux continuing to become more mainstream, how is it doing with gaming? Most titles are still being released in Windows environment is linux catching up? Or do we have a new version of WINE to play the games? Ability to play my titles is one of the only things holding me back and I haven't looked into it for a year or so.

i had games that wouldn't even turn on with xp.. :rofl3:

that still didn't stop it from being the gamers choice os at the time.

numbers don't lie,

win7 152% steam gamers compared to desktop share

win8 333% steam gamers compared to desktop share

just because win8 isn't your choice doesn't mean it isn't the preffered choice of gamers in general according to the numbers.

:b33r:

linux gaming.

"That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive," writes the Valve Linux team, "given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL".

http://www.zdnet.com/valve-linux-runs-our-games-faster-than-windows-7-7000002060/

when their preffered games run under linux, i'm sure more gamers will be using a linux os too. :mrgreen:

dell now offer linux on their alienware x51 desktop.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2013/04/05/ubuntu-os-now-an-option-on-alienware-x51.aspx

Edited by terry1966

Dell has been offering linux on some of it's pc's for quite a while now.

I think it's great if steam gets into linux. We need more competition in order to level the playing field that M$ has had a strangle hold on. We can only benefit from it.

But be aware that M$ is not going anywhere anytime soon. They sell a lot more than an operating system so even if windows 8 fell flat on it's face M$ still has more than enough capital to do it over and over several times until they do get it half right and everybody will be all ecstatic and giddy like little school girls and eager to scarf the next best edition down! Just check the pre-reviews out there about 8.1!

With Office, Gaming, various hardware and countless patent license trolling....Microsoft will be around for a very long time

Which ones? So far I have found none. However it should be noted that there are literally dozens upon dozens of games that didn't run on specific MS OS's and also everyone's experience with games stability or operation can be different despite similar OS. Lots of factors come into play.

I have over 98 Steam games, over 3000 older emulated games, they all seem to work fine in Win8, Actually I had trouble with NFS: undercover in Win7 but did run fine for WIn8, again it could be lots of other things cause that and it's usually anything but the OS itself.