Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Windows; Its Over

not sure i understand what you mean now bb.

android is googles mobile os based on the linux kernel with it's own standard gui, and they have no interest in putting it on desktops true (could if they wanted too tho) but each mobile retailer usually puts it's own or slightly modified google gui on top of the android os for each device,

ms has the win 8 os with it's metro gui that they put on every device, even when it's gui isn't really suited for desktops.

ubuntu are doing the same thing and have plans for using the one gui (unity.) for everthing, but their os is based on the linux kernel of course.

:b33r:

nevermind terry. i was referring to sijugk stating that win8 is aimed at android, and i don't think that's really correct except in the tablet market. even still apple is tops in the tablet market at this point, although that won't last long.

Posted Image

Edited by badbinary

to be honest i agree with him to a high degree, why else put a mobile gui on it's desktops unless you want the users to get used to it and then go out and buy a mobile device that uses the same gui, thereby gaining sales for it's own windows mobile devices(which are more or less non-existant at the moment.) from the market leader android?

well, regardless, it has proven to be a massive mistake by microsoft's design team. with the first service pack for 8 they're going to add functionality to allow bypassing metro (third-party software can allow for this currently).

i'm going to give metro one more shot in an htpc that i will be building soon...mostly because the windows 8 netflix app allows for full 1080p (as long as your isp supports netflix superhd). if it proves to be terrible, i'll probably just use xmbc in a lightweight linux distro.

to be honest from what i've read the actual win 8 os seems very good, it's just that stupid metro gui they used that makes it rubbish for most and why i tested it for about 5 minutes then took it back off my machine. :laughing:

so if they fix that with the update like you say then i think people will like it just as much or more than win 7.

without metro it pretty much IS windows 7 without media center and with some improvements here and there. overall not worth any amount of money to upgrade to. i paid 15 bucks for an upgrade in the early days of it out of curiosity and i kind of wish i had that money back.

from what i hear it is a much faster os, gamers especially like it with all it's short comings because they get better frame rates etc.

Whu??? :rofl3:

I am sorry for the bad sentence framing. badbinary is true, I mean Windows 8 is specifically targetted to reduce the influence of Android in mobile/tablet world.

yeah, i have no idea what that means. if he means that win8 is aimed to compete with android, then he is partially correct when it comes to tablets and phones, but that doesn't explain why the monstrosity is on desktops and laptops.

May be MS thinks like providing the same platform for Desktops and phones makes users more happy. A Wild guess :) Edited by sijugk

from what i hear it is a much faster os, gamers especially like it with all it's short comings because they get better frame rates etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-13.html

http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/

it's a mixed bag, but for gaming win8 is no better and is a tad worse in some cases. as a gamer myself, i was shocked at your claim that "gamers especially like it."

Well, according to Valve’s popular Stream digital distribution service, gamers haven’t taken Mr. Newell’s concerns to heart. Steam’s most recent hardware and software survey put Windows 8 behind only Windows 7, as the most used operating system amongst gamers.

Having used Windows 8 on my gaming system exclusively for months, I can say that it is a great OS for gamers. GPU drivers have matured nicely. The OS itself has a smaller footprint than Windows 7, and it uses fewer system resources. In fact, that second point can make Windows 8 a better option for gamers with low-end hardware since fewer resources are used by the OS. Dare I say the Start Screen may be more desirable for gamers too, since their favorite games can be easily organized into groups and be only a single click away upon starting up.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/windows-8-once-called-catastrophe-actually-ideal-gamers

now what % of win 8 os are out there do you think compared to the others? not a lot, yet it is in front of everything except win 7 and climbing, and that is because it is better, faster and uses few system resources and ideal for gaming.

if you did a google search you'll find a lot more gamers prefer win 8 to win 7 when it comes to games and most say they have a small gain in frame rates, but it's the experience over all that is better because everything seems faster.( coz it is. ) start up, game loading, etc. etc.

Posted Image

as a gamer myself, i was shocked at your claim that "gamers especially like it."

don't know why you would be "shocked" especially if you visit gaming sites. Edited by terry1966

not serious gamers then.. :laughing:

the serious gamers, even tho they hate the metro gui still use win 8 for the better gaming experience. :P

does show exactly how bad metro is tho. :rofl3:

loads say the games are more stable too, supposed to be especially better for amd gamers, can't remember why now but think has something to do with some optimisations or something in win 8 for amd cpu's that are not in win 7.

not being a gamer tho or even using a windows os, i have no personal experience and that is just what i understand from the things i've read. ;)

oh terry..."i'm not part of the gaming community and i'm not a gamer, but you're wrong because i did a quick google search"

:rolleyes:

:rofl3: not quite bb, it's months of reading with an unbiased opinion. ;)

and especially NOT by going on some "gamers" comments who tried win 8 for all of 10 minutes and went back to win 7 because they didn't like the gui. so reckon it's better than win 8. :laughing:

the simple fact is win 8 is a better faster os than win 7 straight out of the bag, and gamers claim they notice the speed gains and extra stability over win 7, along with a few extra fps in most cases.

and the numbers from steam more than backup how popular it is among the gaming community. :mrgreen:

i would certainly agree with that notion about the steam numbers.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey: April 2013

Windows 7 64 bit 54.18%

Windows 7 13.39%

Windows 8 64 bit 10.86%

Windows XP 32 bit 8.25%

Windows Vista 64 bit 4.45%

Windows Vista 32 bit 2.61%

MacOS 10.8.3 64 bit 1.56%

Windows 8 0.79%

MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit 0.74%

MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit 0.61%

windows 8, as a gaming platform, really isn't any faster than windows 7 and in fact still has issues with some games. as an os in general is is faster than windows 7 in many areas, but again, not as a gaming platform.

a gaming "platform" includes everything from startup, disk/memory management, etc. etc. and not just fps, so how can win 8 not be a faster gaming platform than win 7 when is faster in every way, even including an extra fps in most games. :shrug:

you compare steams numbers against it's desktop share numbers, about 3% compared to even vista's 4% (about.)

i think even you can agree they backup my statemeant that gamers particularly like win 8.

if a gaming platform just meant faster as in frame rates, no there isn't a lot in it, but becuase everything else is faster after a clean install it just gives them a better overall experience, and for every gamer who says they had problems with a certain game in win 8 there's another who said win 8 made their game more stable.

must admit with my own use experiences (short that they have been with both os.) i would take win 7 over win 8 even now tho. :laughing:

Edited by terry1966

if you compare steam's windows 7 numbers vs desktop share numbers, steam has about a 23% higher for windows 7 than the actual market share of windows 7 (44%)[source: netmarketshare.com]

from how you extrapolated that to mean gamers love windows 8, they must really love windows 7...all it really shows is that gamers generally keep current.

if you compare steam's windows 7 numbers vs desktop share numbers, steam has about a 23% higher for windows 7 than the actual market share of windows 7 (44%)[source: netmarketshare.com]from how you extrapolated that to mean gamers love windows 8, they must really love windows 7...all it really shows is that gamers generally keep current.

????

yes gamers like to keep current with their hardware but they will use any os that gives them the better gaming experience. ;)

desktop share win 7 about 44%. steam share 67%

desktop share win 8 about 3% steam share 10%

so that means gamers are 14x more likely to own a win7 pc than a win8 pc at the moment yet there's only 6x more gamers using win 7 (and falling.) than win 8.

now why is that do you think? i can only come up with only one logical reason (given 90% of people hate win 8 and it's metro gui so switch back to win 7) for such a big discrepancy between those numbers, and that is more gamers stick with and are using win 8 to play their games on because it gives them a better overall gaming experience, otherwise there would be 14x more gamers using win 7 instead of 6x on steam.

Edited by terry1966

This!

i think it's far more likely that the reason is because new pc's come with windows 8.

agreed that will account for a lot especially over time, but most serious gamers usually build their own pc's, and are very used to upgrading, especially the gpu, and certainly have no problems removing any os and installing the one of their choice.

For several months last fall I ran a demo version of Windows 8 (Windows 8 Enterprise Trial) on a laptop. I had the laptop on loan from a computer club I am a member of. I even gave a presentation to the group based on my experience with it. I tried to be upbeat but honestly I hated it. The interface was too complicated and confusing. That trial has since expired.

That laptop was replaced by another one a few months ago. I acquired Windows 8 Pro and installed it as a dual boot with Windows 7 Pro. I was determined to learn Windows 8 because I wanted to be able to give additional programs to our group about it.

Reading up on Windows 8 lead me to what some products are being offering to make Windows 8 more bearable. I decided to try one of these. I picked one of the first I heard of called "Classic Shell". Being free was also a selling point. I installed it last week.

The first thing I noticed was that Windows 8 booted directly to the desktop. There is also the familiar Start button in the lower left corner similar to what I normally saw in Windows.

The Windows 7-like Start menu can be opened by either a click on the Start button with the mouse or by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. Either Windows programs or Metro Apps may be started from the Windows 7-like Start menu. The Metro screen can easily be switched to by pressing the Shift + Windows keys on the keyboard.

I had just started using Windows 8 with the Classic Shell modification last week and am very enthusiastic so far. I hope Windows 8.1 gives a users a similar experience as I am having. If so there is some hope for Windows 8 yet. I might even buy Windows 8 for my home computers later this year.

Windows 8 boot to familiar looking Windows 7-like desktop
Posted Image

Windows 7-like Start button
Posted Image

Windows 7-like Start menu
Posted Image

Starting Windows Programs from the Start menu
Posted Image

Starting Metro Apps from the Start menu
Posted Image

Windows 8, like any OS, is never faster if you don't want it to be faster. If you only look for negatives, that is all you will find. That applies to anything in life though. However many W8 users might be interested in "modernmix" by Stardock. I really like it, it makes "metro" apps windowed and on the desktop, completely resizable and includes min/max/exit buttons. The apps feel more natural and part of the desktop and not as visually jarring as before. It's $5 cheap chump change and worth it imo.

As a heavy gamer myself, I very much like the speed of the OS, feels a little lighter overall with nothing short of customizations out there, you can make it however you want it which is something many users tend to do anyway regardless of OS. Some people made XP look like OSX, well you can do that with W8 too. Just sayn.

Then some will say "but you shouldn't have to". Well we all know that no one can make an OS look and perform for everyone, we are all different, and the only good OS, is a personally tailored one. These things we know, however some have a will, an urge perhaps to degrade and skewer the perspective, to focus and amplify what they dislike and broadcast all their focus points over and over to find like minded others who wish to see with brazed vision, to rise against the machine of imperfection and cast doubt as if perfection was ever possible to begin with.

From it's tickless kernel to it's ForceASLR , all features that improve performance and security do everything over on W7 to make 8 a superior OS. The GUI isn't really an OS, but a navigation tool within it, one that can be altered to suit a need.

Which mail program are any of you using to capture your ISP mail? Thunderbird?

It appears that the default mail app on 8 works with gmail, yahoo or Microsoft Exchange, but isn't ISP friendly. :huh:

:) Y