Sign in to follow this  
freedom01

Windows Blue

Start a petition to make it illegal then

Or as a consumer, if you don't like that idea, build your own rig

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Exactly what I do. I have never bought a prebuilt computer except for a couple laptops which I never booted to windows.

The prebuilt systems always had junk in em anyway, Look at locked bios, Reminds me of a child safety device for adults.

Joe Windows 8 has been for sale for a long time now, in fact it is all you will see in retail stores. Places like New Egg still sell other version but they have had win 8 for a long time

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

All I see are OEM and upgrade versions, no "Retail" per se as we would see with all other previous versions of windows.

The M$ eula does state that you can in deed transfer the license over to another pc (for the time being)

That does not cover everything, is not provided at the time of purchase, and may not even be relevant to the specific computer I purchase as most have several contracts/agreements aka software, Operating system, hardware manufacturer agreements, copyright and patent agreements..............

I do agree with Bruce on this, Why is the law ignored when it comes to hi tech?

How did Amazon legally get away with undercutting prices on all their books (kindle) in order to run brick and mortar stores out of business and after that they raise the prices of their books?

If any other industry other than tech industries did that they'd be in court in a heartbeat

Edited by Joe C

amazon can easily quantify the lower costs vs brick and mortar due to much lower operating expenses from the business model. i don't see anything wrong with this...in fact, if they were to keep their prices artificially higher to stay in line with the brick and mortar stores it would likely be collusion.

the upgrade of windows 8 pro is a retail version. i think you're talking specifically about retail, non-upgrade version...honestly, ms is probably smart to not spend money putting it out since nobody really wants it.

MS aren't interested in the retail market, it's the OEM market where they make their $$. Simply forcing all manufacturers to install W8 will ensure it becomes a success. It will be a slow burner, but it will be a success. The self build / retail sales are not what MS want as they have no control over this, but they have more than enough power to force suppliers to install W8 as OEM (especially if that supplier needs to pay back to MS $2bn).

What supplier of laptop/desktop pc's in the current climate is going to stick 2 fingers up at MS and tell them to politely go away - where would that leave them.

The majority of the general public will not buy a PC with Linux on it, but will happily buy an Android phone - bizarre.

amazon can easily quantify the lower costs vs brick and mortar due to much lower operating expenses from the business model. i don't see anything wrong with this...in fact, if they were to keep their prices artificially higher to stay in line with the brick and mortar stores it would likely be collusion.

the upgrade of windows 8 pro is a retail version. i think you're talking specifically about retail, non-upgrade version...honestly, ms is probably smart to not spend money putting it out since nobody really wants it.

Is or should technology corporations be exempt from anti-trust laws?

The United States antitrust laws were put in place by federal and state governments to regulate corporations. They are believed to be necessary for keeping companies from becoming too large and fixing prices, and also encourage competition so that consumers can receive quality products at reasonable prices. According to its proponents, these laws give businesses an equal opportunity to compete for market share. They believe, preventing monopolies ensures that consumer demand is met in a fair and balanced way. There are four sections that the laws focus on including agreements between competitors, contracts between buyers and sellers, mergers and monopolies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_antitrust_law

It would be one thing if Amazon sold books for less and that's competition, but after all the book stores closed in my town and I'm sure that many other book stores went belly up, Amazon then proceeded to raise their prices once they did away with the competition. Before when there was competition in book stores, an Amazon book was around $1-$2. and today those same books are now in the $10.00 range.

Why did our govt let Amazon get away with this?

Why does our govt turn a blind eye when anything that is tech related is involved. It appears that if it's a techy thing, then they are exempt from the laws that other corporations are held too

Could you see Ford selling cars for $250.00 and when Chrysler, GM and Toyoda....ect. go belly up, they then charge $250,000 for a fiesta?

Source???

just look for book stores in your own town

Just ask anybody that's uses a kindle, I bought Brenda a kindle a couple years ago, but book prices were about 1/10 then than they are today

Amazon then proceeded to raise their prices once they did away with the competition.

source for this ^

Edited by badbinary

You do have a choice BB...don't buy Windows 8.

If you do you can get around metro if you really can't live with it..again you still have a choice. You can make it look like XP, W7 or like me come to actually like the metro concept (maybe not the implementation though!!)..especially when you have a touch screen PC.

The real concern with Windows 8 is the locked down/restricted BIOS - I know there are ways around it, but it's my PC to do what I want with!

What's the restricted BIOS issue? I haven't come across that with Windows 8 yet, although I have a vague memory of something related to BIOS which I chose not to do. I'm booting three operating systems currently, WIndows 7 on mechanical drives for every day things and Windows 7 and 8 on SSDs. Because Windows 8 was installed with the mechanical drives disconnected and before installing Windows 7 on the SSDs, it doesn't seem to have found the other operating systems. The Windows 7 SSD system does know Windows 8 was present when it was installed but I've turned off the multiboot options and use Disk Manager and BIOS to select which one boots.

I've found that Windows 8 is less annoying than I expected, but it took some effort to set up things like restart and shutdown shortcuts on the start screen and desktop before it was comfortable. It took me 30 minutes to figure how to turn the PC off the first time, and just as long to figure out how to get out of Windows 8 native Internet Explorer after using the hardware power button the first time. I've worked on OS/2 and Macs in the past and found the adjustment easier and more intuitive than the shifts between Windows 8 and previous versions of Windows.

There is no issue if installing another version of windows on an OEM machine. It only becomes an issue if you try to load a real operating system. ;)

Deep :worship:

:laughing:

:) Y

Hey be careful now or the beowolf cluster of atomic supermen and the gorgeous fembots with a penchant for evil will seek you out and destroy your world.

To be fair Apple makes that hardware! That said I have installed Linux on all kinds of Apple computers very easily.

Microsoft is "requiring" that manufacturers lock the UEFI Bios on windows 8 computers.

Joe Windows 8 has been for sale for a long time now, in fact it is all you will see in retail stores. Places like New Egg still sell other version but they have had win 8 for a long time

I think what he meant is that there is nothing equivalent to the retail version of Windows 7, as compared to OEM versions which had to be purchased with hardware and were only valid for one machine and update versions, which I assume is mostly what you see in stores.

For Windows 8, there are just the two versions (not counting 32-bit vs. 64-bit), OEM and update. I did some research, including calling Microsoft sales, and it appears that the OEM version is now called the System Builder version and can legitimately be purchased without hardware, although it is still tied to the one machine for which it was purchased.

You can disable Secure Boot from the bios to use *nix

not on an arm based devises, because ms has made it part of their license that if oems install win 8 then the ability to turn off uefi must be disabled.

They are making progress for *nix with secure boot

there is no problem making linux "work" with uefi.the problems occurs because of the need to have software signed with a trusted key before it is allowed to load.linux already has a few ways of getting around this, including just getting a bootloader signed but there may be licensing issues if ms wants to be awkward because the linux os may break ms "trust model" meaning they can revoke the signed keys any time they like with just 30 days notice, leaving all linux systems unable to boot.like i said earlier, uefi isn't about security, it's about controlling the user. :b33r:

Edited by terry1966

I think what he meant is that there is nothing equivalent to the retail version of Windows 7, as compared to OEM versions which had to be purchased with hardware and were only valid for one machine and update versions, which I assume is mostly what you see in stores.

For Windows 8, there are just the two versions (not counting 32-bit vs. 64-bit), OEM and update. I did some research, including calling Microsoft sales, and it appears that the OEM version is now called the System Builder version and can legitimately be purchased without hardware, although it is still tied to the one machine for which it was purchased.

Windows operating systems are always tied to "one" system. It requires a call to MS and beg them to install on a new machine. Nothing new there, it has been that way since XP. As for the "upgrade" version it is the same as any other version and a clean install can be done with it. Again not much a difference other than playing the MS word game :lol: