Sign in to follow this  
Ky Colonel

OUTLOOK vs HOTMAIL

If you are a user of hotmail, you no doubt know that MS has decided to change it to

Outlook.com for your email.. Mine has been changed which is ok.. it works alright..

However, I find that in order to use outlook email, I have to open a browser and click on a favorite link to get to it. There is no way that I can find to download it and add it to my desktop like hotmail..

Hotmail is downloaded with windows live (messenger, and other stuff) and I have an icon in my taskbar that I click on to open hotmail without opening a browser..

It works the same with Google chrome or IE 10....

So maybe I'm missing something here, but does anyone know how to fix it..?

Maybe I should uninstall hotmail then reinstall it or something else.... I just plainly don't know...

To be clear, I want outlook email to be in my taskbar (quick start).. so that I can open it from there instead of opening a browser first.. Maybe that is not possible with outlook..

By the way, Hotmail is still there, and I can open it just like I always have...

Outlook.com is not the same as Outlook express.. that's an entirely different program..I have

Outlook express with Office 2007, but never used it, because I don't like it. :facepalm:

Edited by Ky Colonel

so...let's be clear on something and this may help you understand.

hotmail.com doesn't download, it's not a program, it's a website just like outlook.com. what you have is simply a shortcut that opens your browser and takes you to that website unless you're using something like outlook express or windows mail.

anyway, here's how you do it:

http://www.techdreams.org/tips-tricks/how-to-quickly-create-a-desktop-shortcut-of-a-website-in-ie-firefox/241-20080821

so...let's be clear on something and this may help you understand.

hotmail.com doesn't download, it's not a program, it's a website just like outlook.com. what you have is simply a shortcut that opens your browser and takes you to that website unless you're using something like outlook express or windows mail.

anyway, here's how you do it:

http://www.techdreams.org/tips-tricks/how-to-quickly-create-a-desktop-shortcut-of-a-website-in-ie-firefox/241-20080821

I might be wrong about it but, when u download windows live, messenger etc.. mail is included in it. so why is it not a program...?

And besides that under "Windows live" in the all programs on the start menu it listed as a program: "Windows

live Mail".....

And it does not open a browser when I click on it..

Edited by Ky Colonel

windows live mail, windows mail, outlook express, and the other plethora of mail programs are different from the websites like hotmail.com, outlook.com, etc. hotmail is a website, you receiving your hotmail email in windows live mail is different...you're not opening hotmail.com, you're opening windows live mail.

i think what you're asking is how to add your outlook.com email to windows live mail? maybe i still don't understand what you're asking.

Ok sir, what I'm asking is: how to make a shortcut on my desktop to get to outlook mail, without going to the trouble of

opening my browser and clicking on a favorite link to get to the outlook mail...? If you don't know, then don't bother

answering and trying to confuse me... please.. thanks anyway.

Nobody is trying to confuse, I think maybe you misunderstand what you currently have.

You are asking questions about different email setups...Webmail like hotmail, gmail etc or a programme like Livemail or thunderbird. You do not 'download' hotmail it is web based.

So what do you want - do you want to use an email client like Livemail to access your web account or a simple desktop shortcut that will open a browser for hotmail/outlook??

If you want to use livemail all you need to do is download it and add your hotmail account to it.

If you want a desktop shortcut follow the link BB provided.

I understand perfectly what I have... u don't. I have a hotmail account.. I received a notice in an email from MS that they

were changing hotmail to outlook... and it's official.... they are doing just that.. ok so far so good..

And it works alright... so to get into it, I made a favorite link in my browser (for Outlook) ... and that's how I can use it.

So I'd rather have a shortcut on my desktop that I can click on and go directly to outlook, rather than opening the

browser and clicking on that link. Do you follow me so far?

Before all this started happening.. I was happy with clicking on an icon in my taskbar that is labeled windows live mail and

it would open the mail program without starting a browser... by the way, that still works good.

So, I don't need all the fancy explanations of different email programs, their theory or none of that junk.. just a simple

how to do it will suffice....

I'm not ignorant on computers, as i've been around longer than they have.. and I don't mean to be rude...

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread in the first place... so If I seem to be that way, please excuse me..

and I'll take my questions elsewhere..

I've had to read your posts about 4 times and I'm still damn near certain that you are not coming across clearly. Maybe some help in clarifying that microsoft changing hotmail to outlook is a brand and WEBSITE change. They are simply retiring the older hotmail interface ON THE WEB. Microsoft has also stated that your actual email address should remain the same so if that is the case, then literally almost nothing has changed. You state that Windows live mail is still working....

Windows Live Mail, or Windows Mail (whichever version you have), is an email CLIENT. They access your email account. If you use this program for your email than the ONLY thing you would possibly need to change is the email account settings within Windows Mail. There is no possible way to access the Outlook mail site without opening a browser, much in the same way that you can not access the Hotmail site without a browser.

I would also recommend you not come to a support forum, ask for help, and then say you "understand perfectly" and tell the people attempting to help you to not bother answering. And being around longer than computers have doesn't have a damn thing to do with being ignorant about them or not. Outlook Express doesn't come with any Office program. It is a discontinued part of Windows XP. The full blown Outlook is what comes in Office and that is entirely a different beast.

Yeah, I think I've actually JUST figured out what you are confused about. Hotmail does not coming with Windows Live Mail that you downloaded. You give the Windows Live Mail your Hotmail account settings and it downloads the mail FROM Hotmail into the program you downloaded. Just change your account settings if Windows Live Mail stops functioning. The brand change shouldn't effect you.

http://ask-leo.com/is_microsoft_shutting_down_hotmail.html

PLEASE read that link for a bit better of an understanding about Outlook.com and your situation. It is a slight bit dated in the fact that Microsoft WILL be shuttering the Hotmail website, but the majority of the information is very pertinent to your issue.

Hi...

To be clear, I want outlook email to be in my taskbar (quick start).. so that I can open it from there instead of opening a browser first.. Maybe that is not possible with outlook..

:facepalm:

Here is how I create a "Desk Top Shortcut from my Browser. Once I've first located it as in the image I shrink it down so I can see some of my desktop. Assume the Image below is anything you want to make a shortcut for.

Posted Image

Then I "Right Click and Hold" the Icon that is next to the URL in the Address Bar, while holding down the right mouse button I move it to a empty space anywhere on my "Desktop" then let go of the mouse button and wait for a "Pop Up Window" to appear then select "Create A Shortcut Here" ...

From my desktop I "Drag & Drop" to my "Quick Launch Bar"

This might B a GR8 Tip for everybody...

Regards

El Tel

El Tel, read through the whole thread again. Winds up being he was using Windows Live mail and was under the impression the brand change meant he had to change clients.

Edit>> That also works with left click. When did they add right click to be able to drag things lmao. I'd literally never even thought to try it with the right button

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Hi ...

El Tel, read through the whole thread again.

Ho no not again :surrender:

Winds up being he was using Windows Live mail and was under the impression the brand change meant he had to change clients.

I worked this out from the 1st post, he just wanted an Icon like one he was used to in his quick launch bar. :facepalm:

Edit>> That also works with left click. When did they add right click to be able to drag things lmao. I'd literally never even thought to try it with the right button

Umm ... I just add to the thousands I have categorised in my Favourites

As with moving files and Folder, left click just moves them; right click gives you the opportunity to copy them, like a template... Something to work with, but with the URL right click also gives you the chance to make it available off-line. Perhaps it's a left over from the Dial-Up days. Make it available Off-Line and Hang-Up :rofl3: then read it later off-line with a cupp'a of whatever takes your fancy ...

Regards

El Tel