Sign in to follow this  
stoneking

Blocked downloads

Once again I'm looking to tap in to the knowledge here. I am running Windows 7 Pro (64). A couple of nites ago I installed Adobe PageMaker 7.0 and found I couldn't access any of the Help files. Turns out that Win 7 and newer do not come equipped with the file (WinHLP32.exe) necessary to run/read old help files.

I went to the Microsoft site and found the file I needed but to download it I had to verify/validate my copy of Win 7. After more research and enabling scripting and switching from Chrome to IE, joy!, I got MS's blessing to download WinHLP32.exe- which I did. No sooner then the download finished and I saw that it had been blocked. Drat! Don't have a clue what's doing the blocking because, other than another time on MS's site*, I've not had a problem with downloads being blocked.

Today I have spent looking for what is holding up the show and I came across some words of wisdom from caintry_boy to a poster with a similar problem. In that post he expressed some concern that the problem might be malware and encouraged the poster to download and run Malwarebytes(sp?) and DDS. I thought that was a good place to start and attempted to download both and, you guessed it, both of them are also blocked.

I'm going to see if there is something in Windows Security I can turn off. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanx in advance.

* I just love MS...

Read your answer the day before yesterday and wanted to try the fix before I replied. I'm not all that familiar with
Win 7 and spent some time right clicking and reading, "Open link in new tab, Open..." LOL But I finally found the proper download file and saw the option to unblock so I could run MalwareBytes (which didn't find any problems).
While the MS validation download (Genuine Check.exe) is listed there, it says that 0 bytes were downloaded and so the unlock option isn't available.
Was this site down last nite? I tried several times to come back and couldn't get past the PC PitStop page. (A very nice page it is, BTW) Even as I type this, all of the type options (there at the top of the box) are grayed out so I'm guessing my machine is still having an issue of some sort.
I appreciate your help with this. While computer problems are a pain in the *** I always seem to learn something useful as I work thru them.
Update- I was unable to read or post here the last couple of days as I mentioned (above). Ran AdAware and Spybot and nothing came up. I then ran AVG and it found a bunch of 'trackers' and the 0 byte MS download (Genuine Check.exe) which AVG said was corrupt. I can get to this site now and all of the posting options are visible again. *whew*
I have several old programs installed on my computer and I never had trouble accessing Help files before doing a Windows Update a couple of days before all of this began. Guess if I need to access the old Help files I'll install the programs on our XP machine and read 'em there. <G>
Again- thanx so much for your help.

when you say that the downloads are being blocked.. what is blocking them? your anti virus software?(what kind are you using) how do you know they are being blocked? a pop-up message?

can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing ? it might make this a bit more clear.

also have you turned off the windows firewall, or other software firewall you may have installed.. also, have you tried disabling your antivirus software and then downloading the files?

>>when you say that the downloads are being blocked.. what is blocking them? your anti virus software?<<

One would think that some program would have taken credit for blocking, right? I don't know- may have been Windows Firewall but it started at the MS site where you have to download the Genuine Check.exe.

>>(what kind are you using)<<

The paid version of AVG. And I have AdAware (and Spybot) for spies.

>>how do you know they are being blocked? a pop-up message?<<

I was using Chrome and the download notifications show up at the bottom of the window. As soon as whatever I was downloading was finished, the little info window would no longer say the number of MBs being downloaded- it would give the file name and have blocked behind it, i.e. Genuine Check.exe (blocked)

I never see any pop-ups.

>>can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing ? it might make this a bit more clear.<<

I can't post a screenshot since AVG seems to have handled the problem. I have a work-around if I need the old Help files so I no longer care if MS thinks I genuine or not AND I'm able to post here again. <LOL>

>> also have you turned off the windows firewall, or other software firewall you may have installed.. also, have you tried disabling your antivirus software and then downloading the files?<<

I turned off the firewall and enabled the scripting options MS said it had to have for the validation. And I disabled the antivirus.
The fact that I couldn't post here is a far bigger concern.
Appreciate your suggestions and thank you for taking the time to answer!