Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d0nut

Replacing Win. 64 bit with Win. 32bit on SSD

I want to replace Windows 7, 64 bit with Windows 7, 32 bit on my SSD. Is it just a normal instal, or might there be complexities?

Don't want to start something that I can't finish :)

Cheers.

Donut

Back up your data first and then you will need to wipe the drive (clean install) and then reinstall with the 32 bit system

Why would you down grade your operating system? You would be better off with the 64 bit operating system

The best method recommended for a clean install is to do a quick format on the ssd drive.

Windows 7, 64 bit with Windows 7, 32 bit on my SSD.

Sure the Windows OS will be recorded and stored on the SSD, but installing Windows implies an interaction with the MotherBoard and all of the components which require Drivers, many of which will be provided by Windows, but some will be available from the Driver resource disk you may have received when you bought the machine, or from the machine manufacturer's website, or if it's a custom-built machine from the MotherBoard manufacturer's site plus possibly manufacturer's site for some of your components.

Get prepared with the necessary 32 bit drivers before commensing your project.

Back up your data first and then you will need to wipe the drive (clean install) and then reinstall with the 32 bit system

Why would you down grade your operating system? You would be better off with the 64 bit operating system

The best method recommended for a clean install is to do a quick format on the ssd drive.

Thanks. Just that I am experiencing problems with some of my programs. One problem is that I have been transferring data from my old P.C. via USBs, and find that although I seem to have transferred everything, a look at Properties shows the sticks as containing hundreds of Mbs of files. Also my favourite browser, Firefox, is giving me trouble.

Get prepared with the necessary 32 bit drivers before commensing your project.

Thanks, Doug. Will do.

donut

You can completely remove firefox and then attempt to reinstall, you will lose all of your settings and preferences in firefox.

Even if the uninstall fails, as it may in some cases, continue on with the rest of the uninstall instructions.

• Delete the Firefox Installation directory located here, by default: C:Program filesMozilla Firefox or, on 64-bit Windows, C:Program Files (x86)Mozilla Firefox
  • (Optional) Enable viewing or searching hidden files and folders (details here) then delete these additional files or folders (recommended if you are preparing for a clean reinstall):

• The Firefox folder that contains temporary data ( *.mfl files, Cache and Updates), located here: Important: Make sure you delete the Firefox folder under Local Settings or Local.
  • Windows 7/Vista: C:Users<username>AppDataLocalMozillaFirefox
  • Windows 7/Vista: The C:Users<username>AppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram FilesMozilla Firefox folder [5] (if it exists)
  • Windows XP and above: Delete all C:WINDOWSPrefetchFIREFOX* files
  • If you installed the Quality Feedback Agent component (aka Talkback) in Firefox 2 or below, open the %APPDATA%TalkbackMozillaOrg folder and delete any "Firefox <number>" folders found (e.g., "Firefox10" "Firefox15" and "Firefox2").
  • If necessary, remove the "Mozilla Firefox" shortcuts in the Windows Start -> Programs menu by right-clicking and deleting the entries. This step should not be needed unless the Firefox uninstall from the Windows Control Panel failed.
The Firefox uninstall will leave behind some Windows registry entries. Normally, these extra entries are harmless and it is not necessary to remove them. Note: Registry editing is a potentially hazardous undertaking. Also avoid using 3rd party uninstallers (e.g. Revo uninstaller) since these tools can sometimes do more harm than good! [6]

You may also need to manually change some Windows file associations or icons, even after setting a new default browser, as reported here.

[edit]

Removing user profile data

Note: Starting in Firefox 3, on Windows systems you can use the Firefox uninstaller option, "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations" (<a href="http://kb.mozillazin...fox#On_Windows" title="">see above) instead of the following instructions to remove all Firefox user profile data. [7]

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Rename (or delete) the Firefox folder in the default profile path (or move it to a backup location). For example, on Windows XP, click the "Start" button, select "Run", type in %APPDATA% and click "OK" to open the hidden "Application Data" folder, then open the "Mozilla" folder and rename the "Firefox" folder.

Caution: Make sure that you rename the entire Firefox profile folder, which includes the profiles.ini file that keeps track of profiles. Do not simply rename or delete the profile folder that contains your user data, as doing so can result in a "profile in use" or "already running" message when you next attempt to run Firefox (bug 278860).

http://kb.mozillazin...talling_firefox

removing all of firefox and doing a "clean install" will fix most problems that can not be fixed by the normal "Uninstall" through Programs and Features in the control panel.

What other program are giving you problems?

What type of data are you attempting to transfer? You shouldn't have any problems with documents, pics and music although some music (or all) might have some DRM licensing and won't allow you to move them and that does not matter if it's 64 or 32 bit. You won't be able to move your software, third party software programs and other programs like office can not be moved, you'll need the installer and reinstall. You can get your licenses from a program called:

Key Finder

http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/

And then all you need is the cd disk or installer that would have been downloaded. A lot of third party software manufactures will allow you a re-download if it's still supported. You'll need a receipt of some kind of prof., most software companies will already have you on file

i don't think your issues are due to using a 64 bit operating system. it IS possible with older software, but firefox isn't one of them.

what software are you having issues with?