Sign in to follow this  
ihman

Problem Pushing Out Software through GPO

I am trying to use group policy to push out software to client pc's. My software is in the msi file format and I believe I have the correct permisions to the share and the correct security. I have an appmgmt.log file wit the last part of the file being this. Can anybody tell me what this means?

CSTORE: Bind attempt returned error code 80040169.

Cannot bind to the Active Directory to enumerate applications, error code 80040169.

Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : %2147746153

Software installation extension returning with final error code 2147746153.

Hi ihman,

For a potential helper who might venture a response to you, this might be a "ten-foot-pole" (high risk) kind of question.

For instance, because...

we don't know what server version you are running, windows server 2003, 2008, 2012, other

we don't know what OS's your client workstations are running, and XP may handle an .msi differently than win 7

we don't know what software your are attempting to push, whether simple java, reader and flash updates, or installation and updates of MS Office

we don't know whether or not your client workstations are allowed to uninstall applications and features via add/remove

And especially, we don't know if you have a complete and up to date backup of your server, should some helpful comment lead to additional problems.

From reading thus far, you have probably determined that I am myself a novice in this area and will not be attempting to offer suggestions.

Still, I hope one of our more knowledgeable intrepid members will be able to offer a useful reply to you.

In the meantime, Google offers a few leads which might be even more intelligible to you since you are aware of your server version and OS's of the client machines, and type of software you hope to push.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Software+installation+extension+returning+with+final+error+code+2147746153&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

http://www.google.com/search?q=CSTORE%3A+Bind+attempt+returned+error+code+80040169&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

http://www.google.com/search?q=Failed+to+apply+changes+to+software+installation+settings.&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

http://www.google.com/search?q=Cannot+bind+to+the+Active+Directory+to+enumerate+applications%2C+error+code+80040169.&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Also please be mindful that not all error codes in log files indicate actual dysfunction, but may exist primarily for use by developers and may be misleading to the actual end-user IT authority (yourself).

Best Regards

I don't understand why the server version, client os version,or what software it is matters? I have already done similar google searches. Here is part of the userenv.log file if it may help any.....

USERENV(3a8.fb8) 10:46:03:677 IProfileSecurityCallBack: RpcBindingInqAuthClient failed with 534

USERENV(3d4.8dc) 10:46:03:693 UnLoadUserProfile: Calling DropClientToken took exception. error 5

USERENV(3d4.8dc) 10:46:03:693 UnLoadUserProfile: Calling DropClientContext failed. err = 5

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 10:49:37:765 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 10:49:38:625 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 10:49:38:625 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.7c4) 10:49:53:687 ProcessGPOs: GetNetworkName failed with 10091.

USERENV(3a8.7c4) 10:49:54:421 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

USERENV(3a8.7c4) 10:50:14:421 ProcessGPOs: Extension Software Installation ProcessGroupPolicy failed, status 0x80040169.

USERENV(3a8.568) 10:53:11:312 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

USERENV(3a8.4bc) 10:59:21:680 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

USERENV(3a8.600) 10:59:24:166 ProcessGPOs: GetNetworkName failed with 10091.

USERENV(3a8.fb8) 10:59:24:196 PolicyChangedThread: UpdateUser failed with 1008.

USERENV(3a8.600) 10:59:24:374 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

USERENV(3a8.600) 10:59:27:544 ProcessGPOs: Forced option changed policy mode.

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 11:03:53:734 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 11:03:53:812 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.3ac) 11:03:53:812 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0

USERENV(3a8.7c0) 11:04:08:968 ProcessGPOs: GetNetworkName failed with 10091.

USERENV(3a8.7c0) 11:04:09:843 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

USERENV(3a8.7c0) 11:04:29:734 ProcessGPOs: Extension Software Installation ProcessGroupPolicy failed, status 0x80040169.

USERENV(3a8.4bc) 11:13:34:469 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

just because you don't understand it doesn't make the information irrelevant.

as a systems administrator of thousands of systems, i can tell you that every single question doug asked is relevant.

truth bomb here: nothing is more annoying than someone arguing with you and not answering simple questions when you're trying to help them. this behavior completely removes my desire to assist.

I don't understand why the server version, client os version,or what software it is matters?

Of course it matters.

Help us to help you by providing all the facts.

You don't walk into a garage and say 'My cars broken down - You don't need to know make, model, engine size......just need it fixed"

The OS of the client pc's is completely relevant, the server OS is absolutely relevant as were the other question asked.

I was not arguing with anybody badbinary and I'm sorry you took it that way. I was dead serious in that question. The domain controllers are a mix of windows 2008 and windows 2003. The main controller is 2003 though. The client pcs are windows xp pro and windows 7.

Thanks ihman. As you no doubt realize, knowing the server version and workstation OS's will not suddenly cause a "solution" to be revealed.

However, when crafting solution possibilities, helpers will be made aware if there are possible conflicts or exceptions that would apply differently to the different units.

Again, from my novice point of view, I am not likely to be able to help with a complete solution.

But these kinds of problems sometime relate to rather basic issues.

Questions:

Do the workstation User logins have Administrative permission?

Particularly, do workstation users have permission to independently install/uninstall application software and update device drivers?

2. Do you have stored images of the original installation of your various workstations?

(I'm not saying that we will jump to starting over fresh, but it is useful to know if such resources are available for testing purposes, and yes, as last resort.)

3. From reading your other several posts here at PCPitstop, it appears that yours is a small to medium sized company with a network of several dozen machines. Is that correct? If correct, you probably haven't adopted any additional specialized software utilities to Manage your network. Is that also correct?

4. It also appears, but I've gotta ask anyways, that your networked equipment is comprised of "hard" hardware. That is, you are not using VMware or MS Hyper-V to create virtual resources. Is that correct?

5. Are there any exceptions to the virtualized resource scenario? For instance, are you using MS Office 365 or similar as a service sourced from your server? Or do you use virtualized or cloud storage?

I realize that my basic questions may be annoying when all you really want is a clue to what problem obstacle your network may be suffering. And even worse, a solution will have to wait for a more knowledgeable helping member than myself. Sorry.

But the fact is that networking is hardly a standardized environment, particularly if virtualization is involved. And it is also true that third-party application softwares, if allowed to be installed via administrative privilege at workstations, can install conflicting drivers, configurations, and even overlap into or conflict with group policy instructions.

Thank you for your patience and for answering the above.

Hopefully we will soon have a sufficient picture of the system, with which a more knowledgeable helper can investigate your particular concerns.

Best Regards

Doug,

1. The users that login to the workstation are students with restricted privledges and cannot install software but when I log in with my domain admin account the software pushout still does not work.

2. Yes I have backup images.

3. I would say we are a decent sized school district with about 1250 devices ranging from laptops, desktops, and now tablets are coming into the mix. Considering it is just me and my boss managing all of these devices we have been trying to find the best software management utility out there, that would be in our districts price range. The problem with finding a good software compared to gpo software pushout is we need to have the software install when the computers turn on. A lot of the software companies require the computer to be on but this represents a problem considering half of our computers are laptops and are off considerable amounts of time.

4. We don't have any vmare. Everything is (hard) hardware.

5. We don't use office 365 or anyting similar. We do not use cloud storage.

I think I am having the same problem as this guy....

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Miscellaneous/Q_21998415.html

Thanks again.

I have looked at that gpo issue site from microsoft, but I have already deleted and recreated the policy I made for the software deployment. I'm not sure if I see on their site about software deployment. One company we were looking at is SpecOps. Any opinions on them?