Sign in to follow this  
Ky Colonel

HARD DRIVE THAT WILL NOT INITIALIZE

I was recently given a WD5000avds hard drive that was used in a Satellite system dvd recorder, it was working when taken out.. I want to format it to be used in a computer. I used the Minitool Partition wizard to delete all the partitions on it, and then created a new partition, primary I think, and supposedly formatted it with ntsf file system.. however it can't be recognized by my computer running win7 home edition.. The computer won't initialize it, and says it's not supported.

I suppose that I did something wrong in the process but don't know just what.

Is there some special program I need to make this drive usable? If so what is it?

Or maybe someone can tell me how to proceed from scratch to use this drive on a computer.

It could be a lost cause, but I hate to throw away a 500GB hard drive that could be used.

Your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated Thanks.

caintry_boy is absolutely right in pointing out the risks of Killdisk, and it goes for every other disk erasure utility. I always disconnect every hard disk except the one I intend to clear — I've learned from the mistakes of friends and acquaintances.

Problem solved.. I tried the Kill disk program without success, it cleans the disk ok, but that's not all I needed to do.

Here is how I solved this puzzling problem.....

MAKE A HARD DRIVE USABLE THAT CAME OUT OF A SATELLITE

SYSTEMS DVD RECORDER... FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

Step 1:

Only hook up the disk it's self, (no others) to the computer, to insure that you

will get the right one..

Use minitool partition wizard CD, insert it in the cd drive and boot computer from it, delete all partitions on the disk and wipe it clean. At this point the computer will not recognize the disk to initialize it..

Step 2:

Create 2 partitions on the disk and leave them unallocated.. set both as primary. The program allows that. Turn off the computer..

Step 3:

Hook another disk that has windows on it to the computer.. (I used win7)

Now you can restart the computer and boot from the CD ..... When it comes on

screen, you will see both disks.. select the first partition on the usable disk and copy it to the new disk, after it's finished do the same with the second partition.

Make sure they appear the same on both disks, if one is active on the first disk and not on the other, select the inactive one, and click on set active button .. it works like magic.. After all is done, you can take the cd out of the tray and turn the computer off. Now u should be able to boot from the disk that you just fixed.. Later, if you want some other operating system on the disk, you can format it and then install whatever u want on it.

The MINITOOL PARTITION WIZARD IS A FREE PROGRAM AND CAN BE BURNED TO A BOOTABLE CD After you install this program it has the option to make the BOOTABLE CD.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem... Thanks all

Edited by Ky Colonel

Ky Colonel, you said,

"I tried the Kill disk program without success, it cleans the disk ok ...

Use minitool partition wizard CD ... delete all partitions on the disk"

But here's the thing — if KillDisk had really been used, no partitions would have existed, so I must conclude the program was somehow misused and the WD drive wasn't erased.

And frankly, it's ridiculous that in order for the MiniTool utility to make it usable, you must copy a partition from another hard disk to the WD 500GB, not just once, but for each partition you created. I'd have erased the WD 500GB with the manufacturer's Data Lifeguard program, then partitioned and formatted with Disk Management in Windows.

I have to admit that it makes no sense to create two partitions, and then image the operating system on each partition

Ky Colonel, you said,

"I tried the Kill disk program without success, it cleans the disk ok ...

Use minitool partition wizard CD ... delete all partitions on the disk"

But here's the thing — if KillDisk had really been used, no partitions would have existed, so I must conclude the program was somehow misused and the WD drive wasn't erased.

And frankly, it's ridiculous that in order for the MiniTool utility to make it usable, you must copy a partition from another hard disk to the WD 500GB, not just once, but for each partition you created. I'd have erased the WD 500GB with the manufacturer's Data Lifeguard program, then partitioned and formatted with Disk Management in Windows.

Actually the kill disk program did not see the disk at all, my mistake in saying it cleans the disk......... sorry abt that.

I tried the data lifeguard program also and it didn't see the disk either..

Disk Management in win7 said it was unsupported and would do nothing with it.. so frustration set in....

The minitool was the only one that would recognize and do anything with it.. And it worked great..... I now have a usable 500GB hard drive.

I tried the data lifeguard program also and it didn't see the disk

Does it see the disk now? And thanks for the clarification regarding KillDisk.

On rereading your first post, it appears that Partition Wizard was initially used to repartition and format the WD disk, at which point Windows reported it as unsupported. I can't help but feel that Partition Wizard may have caused the problem, either by creating a nonstandard partition table or, more likely, with formatting incompatible with Windows (maybe a Linux file system).

This idea is supported by the observation that the disk was unusable under Windows after manipulating it with Partition Wizard, but was usable after cloning an NTFS volume (created by Windows) to the WD disk.