Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingrules2

Windows 8: Your first impressions

It's about choice. Most who buy a new computer will have Windows 8 and have to deal with it. Don't like it, change it; lots of options.

Nobody is forcing anybody to upgrade--you may stay in your old XP/Vista/Win7 world, but aside from the interface, the consensus seems to be that Win 8 is the superior OS.

:)

consensus by whom? most of the reviews i've read say that windows 8 doesn't really offer anything new other than the interface and many have compared it to a less boggy vista.

just because i question the action doesn't mean i don't "get it", that's a silly argument. i simply would like to know why someone would upgrade from windows 7 just to then use third party software to make the upgraded os more like the old one. i think that's a very fair question.

It's about choice. Most who buy a new computer will have Windows 8 and have to deal with it.

:)

Now please explain what choice there is in buying a new computer and "having to deal with it".

That doesn't sound like a choice to me, it sounds like it is kind of shoved down their throats.

BTW Windows 8 is now the worst selling version of Windows ever!

Ah, good, the grand poohbut has arrived :dead-horse: (his).

We only need one more member to show up with the thread coffin nails. Nevermind, he was here earlier.

All hail :worship: :worship: :worship: , all dance and sing Gleefully with flaming pitchforks:

The

Thread is

Dead.

The

Thread is

Dead.

The Circle of

Criticism is

Complete.

The Circle

of Criticism is

Commm---

Plete.

Bing bong,

The Thread is

Dead

(officially).

:note1::note2: :note2: :note1:

*Heavy, heavy, dramatic Sigh. Looks around to see if anything will be missed or saved. Nope. Pulls the plug.

Darkness Here, NOTHING MORE*

Only dead if that is the best you can do :lol:

Shame really that you have to resort to that simply because someone disagrees with you.

Oh well have fun in your having to deal with it downgrade endeavors. :P

Yes, BB, it is OK to disagree, but that is not what happens at this forum. People are ridiculed, belittled, disparaged, and every other synonym.

Ask any member, especially the women, who have been driven from here for their ideas. Oh, wait, you can't. Never mind.

Nobody can ever say anything positive about Windows at this forum, a forum that gets it livelihood from Windows. I do not understand how that is allowed to happen.

Pretty soon it will only be the members who have the most posts talking to themselves.

Have fun with that.

P.S: If you are not using it, why even bother posting here?

Edited by flyfishingrules2

People are ridiculed, belittled, disparaged, and every other synonym.

Ask any member, especially the women, who have been driven from here for their ideas. Oh, wait, you can't. Never mind.

Nobody can ever say anything positive about Windows at this forum, a forum that gets it livelihood from Windows.

fly, man, chill. It's just words on a page. Didn't you yourself just call Bruce the "Grand Poohbutt"?

Maybe people are not saying anything positive about Windows because they know that Windows sucks.

"All good things are wild and free". Windows isn't free, Linux is.

I personally know nothing about women leaving the forum, but sexual harassment is an evil thing, and if I witness it I'll speak out against it. But "Windows harassment" :) is maybe just people here trying to educate the sheeple that they are not locked into taking whatever Redmond tries to tie them to. Like someone said before in the thread, what's the purpose of upgrading to Win 8 and then needing other apps to make the PC more familiar to them?

Freedom of choice, man. Freedom of choice.

Like someone said before in the thread, what's the purpose of upgrading to Win 8 and then needing other apps to make the PC more familiar to them?

Freedom of choice, man. Freedom of choice.

I think you answered your own question

Yes, BB, it is OK to disagree, but that is not what happens at this forum. People are ridiculed, belittled, disparaged, and every other synonym.

Nobody can ever say anything positive about Windows at this forum, a forum that gets it livelihood from Windows. I do not understand how that is allowed to happen.

Pretty soon it will only be the members who have the most posts talking to themselves.

Have fun with that.

I have used it, I have removed it already for a couple customers.

The thread title was first impressions........ I didn't realize that meant everybody had to get all goooey and gaga about a lousy OS. Not tomention the fact that the worse it is the more money this site would likely make from it, but first it has to sell enough. That isn't happening. As for choice I am a huge advocate of choice, I firmly believe that people should be able to have things to chose from, nothing new there I have thought that way for 15 years of using computers. The reality as you clearly pointed out is that people don't have choices when they purchase hardware, they get what is shoved down their throats and even worse now with EUFI the average person will not even be able to install a different OS if they chose to, or in the case of win RT they can't even chose the software they want, they are told what they can do with the hardware, the OS, and what software they are "allowed" to install or not install.

The reality as you clearly pointed out is that people don't have choices when they purchase hardware, they get what is shoved down their throats and even worse now with EUFI the average person will not even be able to install a different OS if they chose to, or in the case of win RT they can't even chose the software they want, they are told what they can do with the hardware, the OS, and what software they are "allowed" to install or not install.

This sounds very "Apple-esque", yet they seem to be doing fairly well. :mrgreen:

I hope that Microsoft doesn't adopt this as a role model completely as Windows does give more freedom (especially to gamers, for example) than an Apple OS, IMHO.

Linux has so many distros and choices that it does have a great chance to accelerate it's growth further into the home desktop market, especially if Microsoft follows this "hardware-lock"path.

Using Win 8 on a desktop is obviously not what it is designed for, and I, like many others, found that bypassing the "Metro" screen makes it much more efficient. Using a tablet or Microsoft's Surface does make the Metro screen much more practical and easy to navigate.

:) Y

Their surface tablets and phone systems are locked down, you can only install apps they "approve" of. The EUFI locked computer bios prevents you from even installing another OS if you want. So they have even gone further than apple.

Edited by Bruce

Have fun with that.

i've used windows 8 and it's terrible. not just terrible, but terribad. there are very few redeeming pieces to it. i think (as do a huge number of people who have used it) that it's the worst windows os since windows me...yes, even worse than vista.

i've always defended windows 7...it's a very good operating system. i've said many good things about it....i think you're getting too emotional about this debate.

Well ... I've always had a soft spot for my ultra stable medion comp XP ........it was still getting used as a media player attached to my big TV even well after after I bought a vista dell in 2008.............missed it when it died after 8 years solid use .......really not worth stripping

Never really liked vista ...so I've finally upgraded it today to pro w8 , on almost the last day of the discounted upgrade ....I must say after a few hours use ....I rather like it , its certainly neater on a dual screen compared to vista ...dont know what the fuss is over the start button ....Its hidden in the bottom left ...... and its the easiest install of an OS that I've ever done .... All my settings were on the cloud ...all imported without a hitch ...cant really see any difference while surfing on Chrome or firefox

My e/G/ yahoo mail, drop box , google drive ,sky drive and box drive all synced easily with my accounts and nexus 7 ...quite painlessly

think I'm going to like it more than vista .....not really used w7 much

i've had some more extended usage of windows 8. once you get rid of that god awful metro interface, what you find is: windows 7.

windows 8 is windows 7 + that terrible metro :filtered:.

Well I've not had 7 ....... ..... but it is an improvement on vista ......not a revolutionary one though .....way better for dual monitors

I open with metro on one and a near similar vista desktop on the other ....Its does feel faster and smoother in operation ...I like it ......no real (re) learning curve

worth the move if you were on vista or XP methinks

Edited by Tankus

maybe for moderate use. the reason why mouse/keyboard works so well is that our hands/arms have a place to rest allowing us to use computers much longer than if we only used something like that or touch screens.

borrowed from urban dictionary...

You might be "metrosexual" if: 1. You just can't walk past a Banana Republic store without making a purchase. 2. You own 20 pairs of shoes, half a dozen pairs of sunglasses, just as many watches and you carry a man-purse. 3. You see a stylist instead of a barber, because barbers don't do highlights. 4. You can make her lamb shanks and risotto for dinner and Eggs Benedict for breakfast... all from scratch. 5. You only wear Calvin Klein boxer-briefs. 6. You shave more than just your face. You also exfoliate and moisturize. 7. You would never, ever own a pickup truck. 8. You can't imagine a day without hair styling products. 9. You'd rather drink wine than beer... but you'll find out what estate and vintage first. 10. Despite being flattered (even proud) that gay guys hit on you, you still find the thought of actually getting intimate with another man truly repulsive.
"Some people think he's gay, but he's actually metrosexual."

I moved to Windows 8 a few days ago and it is a trying experience. I guess it is about expectations. You have spent years if not decades learning Windows and you think that knowledge will help you learn Windows 8. That is not the case. If you think you are just learning a brand new operating system, then it is not so bad.

The main thing is that there is no start button. So for example, I want to use the calculator or notepad or charmap. Normally, you hit start and calculator and notepad are pinned right there. Two mouse clicks and I am done. Now I type Windows R and type calc, and I can get the calculator. So 2 mouse clicks is now 7 key strokes. Everything you are used to is possible, although it is frustrating to discover how, and sometimes it is not as fast as Windows 7 was.

Actually in Windows 8 it can be even easier than Windows 7 or XP. From the start screen just type calc and hit the enter key and the calculator will open. The same works with charmap (actually you only need to type char).

Better still, instead of hitting the Enter key, type the app you want, (watch the screen as you seldom need to type the entire app name) then right click on the tile to add the check mark, then drop down to the bottom and pin it to the Start page.