Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingrules2

Windows 8: Your first impressions

Windows 8 First Impressions (using Pro Version)

• Yes, there is going to be a learning curve, but I don't think it will be so steep that anyone will fall down and hurt themselves. Getting around is not, in my opinion, intutitive because for 25 or so years we have been using a START button. Not easy to give up START or do it the “new” MS way.

• I think anyone who uses a smartphone (and who doesn't—get with it folks!) will like the new Windows. It's tiles/apps, folks: it's similar to your smartphone interface. Ya know, try it, you might like it, Mikey! :)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5cHJx43i0

• Many of the apps/tiles are live, so you get continual updates on weather and news, etc.

• Obviously, Windows 8 is Bing heavy and IE intrusive, but I'm guessing most things are customizable. Gawd, I hope! I have a Firefox app/tile, whatever.

• Hey, it's fun to get and try new apps, especially FREE ones.

• So far the apps leave something to be desired. For example, I tried the Netflix and Wikipedia apps and neither has a search feature that I can find. Am I missing something? Netflix gives me my queue and suggestions, and genres, but unless I can search for specific movies, the app is limited—I don't even know what genre some movies are! Wiki is even worse: if you right click at the bottom it gives an option to open in a browser—what's the point of the app then?

• I like the Newegg app. I'm logged in, I get deals, I get shell shockers. Cool.

• No facebook app that I could find (under freebies, anyway). How are people going to live?

• I'm sure apps will improve, BUT...no facebook app. What were they thinking?

• I've heard it has two IE's, one launches from whatever they are calling the new desktop (Metro, is out already, I heard), and one launches from the “old” desktop, and they are not the same. For instance, if you save a bookmark in one, it doesn't appear in the other. Not sure if that is a problem—maybe just another reason to use delicious.com or the one you prefer. Also none of the gadgets from my iGoogle page seem to work, but Goog is phrasing it out anyway. Just sayin'.

• I like how Windows 8 looks. Spiffy, I think. :tup:

Oh yeah, I need a keyboard shortcut or something to get from whatever you are doing to the “new” desktop. Mousing to the corner and then clicking the Window Start icon (okay, I guess it does have a start button) is the most annoying thing ever. Help!

Carry on, go with the flow, and play nice.

Ffr2 :)

P.S. Got the search figured out. You can search any specific app from the Search on the Start Bar. Very handy, powerful!

Facebook is under the People tile, like there is some other communication app--Google+ ? :laughing: O.K., Maybe you Twitter freaks.

Edited by flyfishingrules2

glad to see you got it working for you FFR2. Personally I can't stand it. I used a beta version before and I did get the Windows 8 Pro disk but I'm not going to use it for myself

A learning curve?

Are you kidding me?

A lot of windows users struggled with the transition from XP to Vista/Win 7 because they couldn't grasp the changes.

Windows 8 interface is probably one of the worst things I have seen in decades ( for a computer ) and people simply will be repulsed by it :rofl3:

Microsoft plans to continue providing technical support for Windows 7 until Jan. 14, 2020.

that might be the time to look for a new windows os in my opinion, certainly by then it won't be win8. :mrgreen:

:b33r:

A learning curve?

Are you kidding me?

A lot of windows users struggled with the transition from XP to Vista/Win 7 because they couldn't grasp the changes.

Windows 8 interface is probably one of the worst things I have seen in decades ( for a computer ) and people simply will be repulsed by it :rofl3:

What specific changes from XP to Vista/Win 7? How some icons look? Such silliness. Imagine if you ran your highway department the same as the guy before you. Look at all the changes you made in a few months (in your thread in General Discussions) . You never give people enough credit. As always, you are such a Windows Naysayer.

If anything, I kind of admire MS's boldness on this. You have trouble using your smartphone :shrug: Pretty much the same interface. Like I said nobody is going to hurt themselves learning.

:)

Windows 8 really was designed for tablets and touch screens. Isn't that the reason they are attempting to follow Apple with it's App icons?

What specific changes from XP to Vista/Win 7? How some icons look? Such silliness. Imagine if you ran your highway department the same as the guy before you. Look at all the changes you made in a few months (in your thread in General Discussions) . You never give people enough credit. As always, you are such a Windows Naysayer.

If anything, I kind of admire MS's boldness on this. You have trouble using your smartphone :shrug: Pretty much the same interface. Like I said nobody is going to hurt themselves learning.

I didn't say I had or have problems. I don't like windows 8 but it is just computer software.

As for people who didn't like the changes with vista/win7 you can find plenty of them right here in this forum, and many many more of them out there in broken glass land :lol:

a touch screen for my monitor would suk

I'd always be having to reach over to use it and the top of my office desk is always too cluttered to set it down there. I'd be spilling coffee into my Surface pc and frying it

Your next phone, tablet, computer, monitor, laptop will have a touchscreen.

touchscreen is perfect for mobile devices, but it doesn't really translate that well into the realm of the typical home or work computer. there are obvious applications for it that have been using it for years now, but there are good reasons why typical home and business computers don't have them.

Your next phone, tablet, computer, monitor, laptop will have a touchscreen.

I have had touch screens on my phones for years now. A windows 8 phone isn't even on the radar for me.

As for the other things you mention well not likely.

I have no use for a tablet, my phone serves me well enough when not at my computer. A tablet is too limiting a device for me. Not to mention I would need a man purse to carry one around and I wouldn't be caught dead doing that :lol:

A touch screen on my computer is about as sensible as having one on my television :rofl3: Reaching across my desk to touch a screen when a mouse and keyboard are at my finger tips and easier to use, it would be extremely awkward to have a touchscreen on my computer monitor.

A laptop like a desktop simply doesn't need a touchscreen. It just doesn't make sense. The whole purpose of buying a laptop vs a tablet is having a keyboard/mouse.

I don't have a smartphone, and I never will. I have an old school flip phone that I can use to call or get calls from people (and never while at work or behind the wheel). If I want to check something on the Net, it can wait until I get home and boot up my PC.

Joe's right - a touchscreen PC would be insane. I can't imagine how many times I would knock over a beer or the soup from a bento box reaching for the screen instead of just chilling easy on the mouse and keyboard.

Besides, all y'all should just open your minds and get into LINUX!

the term "ultrabook" is a marketing term created by intel. in order to use the ultrabook name, the product must meet the ultrabook specifications. intel is free to demand what they wish of it.

doesn't mean much beyond that, though. in fact, most ultrabooks already have touch screens.

that's how that works.

Edited by badbinary

P.S., BB, you don't think Intel is much of a player, then, huh?

:laughing:

has nothing to do with that. it's purely marketing for consumers that like nice, fancy terms. the fact is that most "ultrabooks" already have touch screens.

what am i missing? why one would upgrade just to install 3rd party software to downgrade or that intel is slightly changing a marketing definition? you're correct about the former.