Sign in to follow this  
garystan

Difference between 128-bit and 64-bit Video Cards

Hi everybody :

I'm a little in the dark about 128-bit versus 64-bit Video Cards. Could it be like the analogy of two boxes of sand ? Each one having a hole in the bottom. But.....one box dispenses sand at a rate of 128 grains a minute...and the other at a rate of 64 grains a minute ? But.......the 128/64-bit part of the Video Card has nothing to do with the fact that your OS is either a 32-bit/664-bit machine. Correct ?

I'm new to this part of 'computing'. And I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track to understanding this 128/64-bit concept. Thanks pcpitstop people.

garystan

You have it correct in a way.128 will give you double the bandwidth of 64bit in theory..Windows 32 /64bit will only matter when comes to installing the video cards driver,choose the right one for what OS your using.

Edited by OneCool

128 will give you double the bandwidth of 64bit in theory

"Bandwidth" in this case refers only to the memory on the video card. For the same memory clock speed, data is transferred between the GPU and video RAM at twice the rate on a 128-bit bus than that of a 64-bit bus. While performance is improved, it isn't doubled, since the GPU only gets the data faster but cannot process it faster; and data transfer rates between the card and the system board remain nearly the same.