Sign in to follow this  
Jacee

Updating Windows XP, Vista and Win7

Critical and Important Windows Updates.

This tip works ... first,

download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!

Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately.

**If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

After rebooting/restarting your computer, click on "Windows Updates". Choose maybe 8 or 10 at a time to update. DO NOT try to update all of them at one time!

Repeat the process of Windows updating again, choosing a few at a time.

Be aware of .NET updates! Susan Bradley gives her 'update' patch info and chart info in her column on "Windows Secrets". Unfortunately this is only in the 'paid for' version, but I feel the articles are worth the absolute minimum $'s you can contribute.

It has a ton to do with WUD (Windows Updates Downloader)!! You would be surprised.

If I don't clean all temps, and reboot, then I see some update errors. I've used TFC on all three of my computers (XP Home SP3, Vista Business SP2 and Win7 SP1 Ultimate) with excellent results.

Eversince I used this utility, My printer has not been getting hung up where I have to cancel the documents, shut off the printer, and switch it back on when the documents have cleared.

bbmh1 [Vista, 3 gb RAM, Cable]

Hi, Jacee.

I know someone who knows what he's doing when it comes to PCs so I asked him to test TFC and its usability.

1. He recommended that I use the Windows Cleaner in the extended cleaning mode. It worked extremely well for me, so what is improved by using TFC rather than Windows Cleaner to make Updates more efficient?

2. Is it suggested that this programme is better than the inbuilt Windows Update fixer via the Action Centre in Windows 7 & 8?

He also pointed out that as for the programme itself:

1. It does not have a valid digital signature, privacy statement or EULA. If it does where are they?

2. It has no readable metadata which allows for it to be asset tracked by a vulnerability checker such as Secunia.

3. There appears to be no options enabling the user to remain in control, for example, no ability to create a restore point or select which

items are removed.

4. He carried out three test runs. The first allegedly found files that required removal & the option was to reboot to clear them. The second & third scans found nothing but the programme still insisted a reboot was necessary - why? Is this a bug?

Until more details are made available, he would consider this programme as total dross ware.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by daveu

It does not have a valid digital signature ...

Purchasing a code signing certificate is not a reasonable expenditure for a hobbyist.

It has no readable metadata which allows for it to be asset tracked by a vulnerability checker such as Secunia.

Well, there's the version information the program contains, but it's trivially easy to calculate checksums that would differentiate even if the internal version number didn't change.

Until more details are made available, he would consider this programme as total dross ware.

I'd consider that a pretty obvious overreaction if it were based on just the above observations.

That said, the user reviews have indicated a number of problems, some common and persistent, and the program's author doesn't appear inclined to reply. I would not use this utility on my computers.

Edited by TomGL2