Sign in to follow this  
freddy44

Can't find a virus!

Hi, I've done my best but I give up!

I seem to have a virus or something bad on my laptop, but cannot find it!

I'm running

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition Service pack 1 (build:7601) Intel Core i3 M 330 2.13GHz x4 with 2.87 Gbyte; Intel® HD Graphics

I have Avast! Free Antivirus (I was using AVG free), I also have

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

CCleaner

Spybot - Search & Destroy

ESET NOD32 Antivirus

And AVG PC tuneup 2011

Everyone of these programs finds NOTHING! Also tried in Safemode.

Something is wrong though. My laptop keeps running really slowly, not all the time, but often. I checked the CPU usage and it's up around 95-100%! Videos stop running, things wont close, and programs become unresponsive! Everything just stops and I have to wait for about 5-10 minutes for things to sort themselves out.

I don't know why this is. I havent downloaded anything or removed anything (to the best of my knowledge) that would have caused it.

Any help would be great.

Also I hope this is in the right place.

Edited by freddy44

• If you are running both Avast and ESET NOD32 in active mode, then pick one to run all the time. You should never run 2 antivirus programs at the same time.

Sorry, Avast is off. I'm using ESET NOD32 at the min but switch between them, in the hope the other might find something.

Uninstall all but one antivirus. If any other security product provides real-time protection (e.g., Spybot S&D's TeaTimer)), disable the feature.

When a significant slowdown occurs, open the Task Manager and determine which programs have the highest CPU usage. Click the CPU title header twice to sort with highest first.

Thanks, I have uninstalled ESET as it was only a trail anyway. All the other spywares are off apart from Spybot.

What should I do the " technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals" link. There is so much there I'm not sure what I need to run.

I'm running the PC Matic check at the moment. I did it yesterday but it crashed.

Thank you.

hello

did you turn off Spybot's tea-timer to see if it conflict's with Avast ? and also tea-timer should not be on when installing Avast

or any security software

since you had AVG you could try running there uninstall tool to clean up left over things AVG leaves behind because thay can conflict

with the Avast install also if there was other antivirus programs on the pc try using there uninstall tools as something left behind

can conflict with other antivirus software

"AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files,

user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly"

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

AVG PC Tuneup has a registry cleaner i believe and it could of fixed something it should not have and cleaning the registry

is a risky thing as it can do more harm than good

you can try a repair of Avast to see if it installed correctly by going to add/remove in the control panel like your going to uninstall it

and click on uninstall Avast and from there instead picking uninstall chose repair and it will do a repair install of Avast

also like TomGL2 said did you look in the task manager when the slowdown happens to see what process is using all the cpu ?

if something got messed up from Avg PC Tuneup or other things you may have to consider backing up your important stuff on your computer

and restore back to factory settings

thats the best i can think of if it's not a virus good luck

Regards

James

:)

Hi, thank you so much for reply.

I saw this teatime thing in task manager today and tried to find out what it was. I cant remember How much it was using but it was A LOT! I have turned it off.

I'm not sure what you mean by AVG uninstall. Sorry. I have uninstalled it, and have had a look to see if anything is left but can't find anything from AVG apart from the Tuneup program. I dont think Tuneup has done any damage. I bought it after the trouble started, when someone recommended it. It hasnt helped.

I have repaired Avast, but it didnt seem to find any problems. One weird thing though, I uninstalled ESET Nod32 two days again, and it had gone from the add/remove in control panel but it is still on my computer and still loads up whenever I restart my computer! I cant find anyway of stopping it. I turn it off, and the only option I have is to turn it off until the next restart!!! Very strange!

I have been watching the CPU usage, as I use my laptop. And sometimes it's find. But after a while, and while watching videos online, the CPU usage jumps from 40-50% ish up to 100%!

It says that Chrome (and firefox, it is the same for both), uses around 130,000k Avast is using 13,000K. At this point in time i'm not watching anything and Chrome is using 62,000K and svchost.exe us using 80,000k. Does that mean anything?

"ESET sevices" is also using 80,000K even though I have turned it off.... until the next restart anyway. Although my problem started long before I downloaded that, i'm guessing that's not good!!

Inregards to the restore, I have never done that before. I friend said about reinstalling windows 7 (not sure where the CD is though), is a restore the same? Do I need the Windows 7 CD. (stupid questions I know)

Ummmm.... I think thats it. I might try and uninstall my internet explorers, My something there is broken. FYI I was using firefox, the problem started and moved to Chrome. But the problem persisted.

Once again. Thanks for your interest. Any help/support/advice would be gratefully received.

Just to add. Having a look a again at the Task Manager. It seems Chrome is using more than the 130,00 (or 126,468K) like I said as that is just one entry in the Processes list. Chrome is there 9 times (I have 2 tabs open).

Chrome.exe *32 126,000K

Chrome.exe *32 28,000K

Chrome.exe *32 13,000K

Chrome.exe *32 85,000K

Chrome.exe *32 9,000K

Chrome.exe *32 43,000K

Chrome.exe *32 47,000K

Chrome.exe *32 8,0000K

Chrome.exe *32 13,0000K

Is that normal!?

i would not uninstall Internet explorer as i think it is part of the operating system

what i can read about Eset Nod 32 it can be a pain to uninstall and if you had Avast

running at the sametime that did not help also Spybot's teatimer can interfere when

installing or uninstalling software so you should desable it while you are fixing things

from looking at the Eset web site you might have to reinstall Nod32 to get it to uninstall

properly and having Avast running at the sametime your trying to do this might mess things

up while removing it so it might be wise to uninstall Avast to do this while your trying to

get Eset off your pc

remember that to avoied trouble when running something you download in Win 7 right click on

the download and choose Run As administrator

if you have trouble uninstalling Avast thay have a uninstall tool that you run in Safe mode

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

for Eset look at this info for help uninstalling

How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (5.x)

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

sounds about right about Google Chrome heres why

Google Chrome Running Too Many Processes?

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/google-softwaretips/google-chrome-running-too-many-processes/

about watching Videos i know that Firefox and the Adobe flashplayer have had trouble in the last

few versions of Firefox and Flashplayer crashing when people are waching online video so mabe

updating the Adobe Flashplayer could help and there is different Flashplayers for Firefox and

Internet Explorer Chrome has it bult in and gets updated when Chrome gets updated

Adobe Flashplayer

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

to learn how to restore your pc Google how to Restore your Make and Model of your computer most

new computer now days have a restore partition

:)

Just to add. Having a look a again at the Task Manager. It seems Chrome is using more than the 130,00 (or 126,468K) like I said as that is just one entry in the Processes list. Chrome is there 9 times (I have 2 tabs open).

Chrome.exe *32 126,000K

Chrome.exe *32 28,000K

Chrome.exe *32 13,000K

Chrome.exe *32 85,000K

Chrome.exe *32 9,000K

Chrome.exe *32 43,000K

Chrome.exe *32 47,000K

Chrome.exe *32 8,0000K

Chrome.exe *32 13,0000K

Is that normal!?

Seems normal for Chrome. Each Add-On or Extension that you have enabled will show up as a process. I checked my main rig and had about that many processes running for Chrome...one for AdBlock Plus, one for Do Not Track Plus, one for ForecastFox, etc, etc...

:geezer:

I have Avast! Free Antivirus (I was using AVG free), I also have

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

CCleaner

Spybot - Search & Destroy

ESET NOD32 Antivirus

And AVG PC tuneup 2011

Wow crazy crazy! There are not many more potentially damaging things you can do your computer than running mutiple AV engines at once, in many cases they will detect elements of other AV progams as viruses. First things first lets strip your computer down to a single AV engine, I happen to like ESET myself. Use a program called Appremover (free at www.appremover.com) which will identify all the AV engines you have running, who knows you may have some you dont even know about. Then you can choose to remove them all and start from scratch.

Wow crazy crazy! There are not many more potentially damaging things you can do your computer than running mutiple AV engines at once, in many cases they will detect elements of other AV progams as viruses. First things first lets strip your computer down to a single AV engine, I happen to like ESET myself. Use a program called Appremover (free at www.appremover.com) which will identify all the AV engines you have running, who knows you may have some you dont even know about. Then you can choose to remove them all and start from scratch.

I believe freddy has already been advised as such minus your attempt to divert him to Appremover. I think if necessary Revo Uninstaller would be a much better resource. ;)

Really? Care to mention why? Nothing wrong with Revo.....I got your back Freddy!!!

Just that I've heard of Revo and never heard of Opswat/Appremover. I have used Revo and it works very well. ;)