Sign in to follow this  
awong

Bad Pool Caller error and system restore corrupt...referred by folks a

Hello, I was referred to PCP by the safer networking forums.

I've been working with them since my machine freaked and gave me a Bad_Pool_Caller error.

I'm told I can link over to my active safer networking forum thread if someone needs to see what we've done so far. My "case worker" has suggested that the errors are more likely hardware related and that you folks over here at PCP would be the right people to tackle this.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=430770&posted=1#post430770

Please let me know if this isn't the correct location to post this type of problem. Feel free to place into the proper location.

I'm trying to determine if my main drive is giving out or perhaps my external drive is acting up (it wouldn't be the first time on my external drive).

Many Thanks for your time and any help or suggestions you can offer me on this issue.

-AWhang

Would I need a moderator to move the thread? The reason I ask is that this was already moved from the virus/malware location. I'd hate to start it all over again.

Thanks

AWhang

Edited by awong

Some new developements.

I tried to run chkdsk and it ran through the first of 5 steps fine. On the second step (verifying indexes) it got to about 2% and then froze. When I came back, the monitor was complaining "no signal input". Is that supposed to happen during chkdsk?

I now need to start up in safe mode because everytime I restart, the machine automatically goes into chkdsk. I attempted to back-up by RMB clicking the c: drive and, under tools, selecting back-up. I was directing the back-up to a 1gig portable drive d:/. The wizard created a file, and, after a quick analysis, failed. I'm a little worried that I can't back-up.

edit: Here's the notepad error message that the backup generated

Backup Status

Operation: Backup

Active backup destination: File

Media name: "Backup20120911.bkf created 9/11/2012 at 10:45 PM"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure

Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

Don't know if this sheds any additional light on to the situation.

Worse case scenario, if my main C: drive is failing, what should I do to save as much info and make that info transferable to a new drive (or machine)? I'm prepping for the worse now.

Many Thanks!

AWhang

Edited by awong

Awong,

I posted back at Safer to have you run a couple of more scans. I was hoping here at the PIT they would run you through a test to check the health of your hard drive and go from there, lets see if the scans found anything and if not then we can post back here

Hello there,

I've let Ken545 know that you'd like to run a PIT test here. I wanted to double check with him so as not to get too complicated and confused. If he agrees I'm all for trying another test. Are there viruses that will keep the chkdsk from working? That has me worried. I sure hope it's not the end of my drive!

I'll get back to you when I get word from Ken.

Thanks!

AWhang

Hello there,

I performed the PIT test...I think. I have the link to the page with the suggested fixes. Nothing warning of any malware or viruses (thank goodness). I attempted to leave the conid=# in my profile, but it didn't take the whole URL so I only put in the conid#...hope that was correct.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/tips/Intbuffer.asp?conid=25059722

Bottom 15%...yikes...time for a new system:) I'm in the market for a workstation. I better get to it.

Thanks

AWhang

Well lets start with the Tips page...you can click each of those and PCPitstop will give you tips on fixing each one... If it was up to me, I'd lose those "toolbars" and probably Spybot S&D... On the Software/Processes tab think about disabling the items in Blue. You can get your video drivers here > http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.6-WHQL-32-bit-Win-XP-download-2944.html

You need to try and free up some space on your "C" drive...try right clicking it in My Computer and selecting Properties and running Disk Cleanup...

Work on those and then test again, and by the way, don't do anything else when testing like encoding video's and such...you'll get better scores.

:geezer:

Thanks Caintry_boy,

About the two blue processes, the winlogon, I can't find pertainent info for removing it from my type of machine. The speech one is probably not working because I'm in safe mode. When I click the change button per the instructions, a dialog flashes on (too fast to read) and then nothing happens.

For the toolbars, can I just go to the location and delete them from my system by deleting the specified file? Will that do it?

Once I'm sure the computer is clean, I'll go ahead and hunt down the relevant driver as well.

So, I'm guessing the PIT test did not turn up anything like a virus or bug? Any idea why my chkdsk fails at 2% on the 2nd of 5 tests (verify indexes). Maybe it's not failing and just taking a long time? Do you know if it is typical behavior, while running chkdsk, for the computer to detach from the monitor so the monitor thinks "no signal input"? If that's normal behavior, maybe my machine is actually running chkdsk, just taking forever.

Also, would you know why Windows won't allow me to run backup? I'm trying to backup onto a portable drive with near 1tb free. Windows creates the directory, but fails to backup?

Many Thanks

AWhang

first thing i'd do seeing how you can't backup your files from windows is to create a linux live cd, boot to it, then use it to backup all/any of your data to your usb drive, just in case your drive is failing, even tho it passed a smart test according to the pit summary.

here's a link on the process using puppy linux. :- http://www.techspot....ur-data.155947/

after a quick look at your test summary i see both your dvd drives have error code 37 (listed under the installed hardware tab) which according to this

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310123

Code 37

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)

Recommended resolution

The driver returned a failure when it executed the DriverEntry routine. Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again. You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware manufacturer’s Web site.

• On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

means you need to reinstall the drivers for them, now to me corruption of drivers like this could very well be the first signs of imminent hard drive failure, so get those files backed up asap(as soon as possible).

i'll let the windows experts here run through what tests you may need to run to check your hard drive and operating system files tho.

:b33r:

only after you've saved your files,

two things i might try to see if they fix your problems, no guarantees because i think your hard drive is on it's way out and i'm no windows expert but thought they might be worth a try.

first is to try doing a system restore in safe mode to before the trouble started.

second is to use ccleaner and it's registry cleaner to scan and fix any errors it finds, MAKE SURE YOU USE THE BACKUP REGISTRY OPTION it suggests when fixing, that way you can always restore it if needed.

if you don't have ccleaner here's a link to it :- http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Edited by terry1966