Sign in to follow this  
caintry_boy

One rig down

My new AMD rig just quit on me a couple days ago and I'll be short of PPD for awhile while I wait for an RMA on the motherboard (I've had trouble with it all along). Still running my main rig (Intel) tho'...

Fold On!

:geezer:

Watch out we're coming

What rigs are you using?,,,,normally.

Sho' I've been running the AMD FX-8120 8 core rig w/8Gb RAM and my Intel i7-2700k rig w/16Gb RAM and 2 x GTX460's. I Fold on the 460's also...

I just stuck a pair of GTS 550's in my rigs but one of them is not producing like it should. The same rig has a Radeon HD 5700 in it and the 5700 is showing double the PPD as the 550. Very annoying. I already backed of two off the 8 cores to feed the GPU's so now I need to give it a couple more days before I make any more changes. Might have to back off two more cores and see if that is what it needs. Amazingly the 4 core rig is running the 550 full blast with nothing backed off and producing like mad. :bang:

Edited by oftentired

the 550 is in the primary slot

I've just had it in a day 1/2 so I've not gotten to testing with the 5700 off

I'll try turning off 2 more cores first since I get decent PPD out of the 5700

if that doesn't work I'll try turning off the 5700

good idea I had not thought of it thanks :note2:

I've got a single Radeon 5700 on my main rig but I"m not folding with it. Is that what I need to do to increase points. Should I slect CPU/GPU from the options on setup?

Sho' you could do that...it'll prolly take one CPU core to support the Folding on the video card...depends on the vid card.....try it and see how it does.;)

I can answer that with 100% certainty. The Windows kernel cannot properly schedule 8 real cores in the AMD chip, whereas the Intel has 4 logical and 4 virtual. They(M$) issued a patch a while back but it didn't help much. They claim that the problem should be solved in Win8.

So, in short, the i7 romps the mess outta the AMD chip.

40 to 50 million a day? think you mean thousand. :P

all teasing aside with that i7 i think your best option is to run 2 higher end nvidia cards to get the ppd your looking for.

1 cpu core tied to each card leaving 6 cores for smp folding.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/04/26/best-graphics-card-for-folding/3

:b33r:

if your looking to build a new system for folding tho, your probably better off looking at multi processor systems.

It depends what are you looking for: $$$/ppd, or W/ppd? Obviously for base investment, GPU folding is the way to go. But power-wise, the GPUs are real hogs... the other option is 2p /4 p rigs. This is where W/ppd is the real champ. A 2p rig with dual 6128s can produce ~90k ppd. A 4p like mine can do in excess of 500k ppd. Power consumption is ~300w for the 2p, and 525w for the 4p. There is not a GPU farm out there than can even come close to those numbers. Also add in the equation the noise and heat generated by the GPUs.

I used to GPU fold, and decided to invest in a 4p rig instead. Noise, power consumption and heat are all down, ppd is incredible. But it's an investment: 900$ for the board, 500$ per chip...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/51040-what-better-folding.html

:b33r:

Will be down for a while have to load up everything moving to Ardmore Oklahoma. Will get things back up and folding as soon as I can.

Will leave from Oklahoma back to Kansas today and see what I can get moved.

Edited by Guns