Sign in to follow this  
Hot_Sauce

How can I transfer all my data from Laptop A to Laptop B ?

Ok guys just bought an Ultrabook running on Windows 7. I have alot of files/data on the Vista/VAIO laptop.

Apart from transferring data on HDD what is the best way to transfer my data from the Vaio/ to Ultrabook along with my settings.

Hi

I bags your old Laptop :laughing: ... I have 2 PC's sitting next 2 each other and this is how I transfer files between them, along with Dropbox for Remote access.

First I set up a Mshome Network on PC1 so I can see it on PC2 when I connect to that Mshome Network see pictures below. I then create a new shared folder on PC1 within that shared folder, which then can be seen on PC2 almost instantly. After locating a folder on PC1 (To be Moved) I hold the right mouse key down while navigating to the network shared folder on PC1 then let go of the right mouse button while it is hovering over the right folder. From the pop-up window I click on "COPY" then make mi sen a coffee while the folder is copied. You will then see it appear on PC2. Depending on how big the folder is it could take some time. After they are safely on PC2 I do a similar thing on PC2 shared folder to the appropriate place within the Documents and Settings User Name destination.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I hope the above pictures help.

When I am happy the folder and all the files within are accessible on PC2 with PC1 switched off, I can delete them from the shared network folder. Job done... If I need access to any folders and or files I use Dropbox to which I can invite anybody to it. That way we can both take advantage of extra Free storage.

Regards

El Tel

El Tel omitted a bit of information — connect a crossover (AKA crosswired) Ethernet cable between the two laptops. I keep one in my toolbox for just such occasions. And to ensure that the Windows 7 machine can access all files on the VAIO, share the root of the VAIO's C drive (and any other drives present).

El Tel omitted a bit of information — connect a crossover (AKA crosswired) Ethernet cable between the two laptops. I keep one in my toolbox for just such occasions. And to ensure that the Windows 7 machine can access all files on the VAIO, share the root of the VAIO's C drive (and any other drives present).

I don't think ElTel needs a cross over cable as it looks like he is doing it over his network (So the router handles the traffic). Personally I use a crossover cable, but both of you have missed the excellent tool in windows7 - The file transfer wizard, it makes this kind of thing so easy, especially if you have a dig around the custom settings so that you only transfer files and not all the settings as well. Tick all the folders etc you need to move and hit OK - leave it alone - Job done!

I don't think ElTel needs a cross over cable as it looks like he is doing it over his network (So the router handles the traffic).

True — but Hot_Sauce is asking, and didn't mention having a router or even a home network.