Sign in to follow this  
KurtBleach

Locked out

Would be willing to make the short drive over Kurt. I've got the necessary Windows and Linux discs to get things goings for you.

Good luck either way.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:geezer:

Not necessary, my (future) Linux buddy. I'd never ask someone to do something like that. But you did just prove a point I've probably made earlier in this thread or on some other: Linux People RULE!

Things are tough this week and next for me - but I'll shoot you a PM in a couple weeks and maybe we can do business.

If we do though, I'll go to your area - not you to mine.

Well, lads, I don't know how in the hell I did it - but here I am in the land of penguins on openSUSE. I bought a cat5 cable and connected my PC directly to the router. 5, 6, 7, I don't know how many times the same old problems cropped up, but through either pure blind dumb luck or divine intervention, the DHCP configured and I got to the installation program.

Mad thanks to Adam, Bruce, and Terry (and the guy I called at Staples who told me what ethernet ports look like so I could find them) for your help - but I must give you fair warning: I'm not on a dual boot, this is SUSE straight up no chaser, so I'm afraid I'm going to be a real pain in the buttocks on here seeking Linux help.

Two quick ones, if I may:

1. It would suck if the landlady's 80-something-year-old husband tripped over the cable. Can anyone tell me how to get the wireless working in Linux?

2. I can't update Firefox. The download comes as some sort of tar.gz archive and goes to some app called Ark. How do I execute the update?

OK, thanks again all. I know I'm an idiot n00b, but I'm 100% committed to Linux now. I trust that you Pit People can steer me right.

before doing anything, the first thing i'd do is go into yast and add the packman repo.

here's some tutorials to watch that i think are a great help to new users. and should answer most of your questions, especially about how to install software.

http://itsyourpc.org/tutorials.html

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Terry old chap, you kick butt :filtered:(the British word is filtered here)! Firefox is now updated.

I didn't see anything on that site about the dongle, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with the answer I need.

LINUX!!!

:b33r: :b33r: :b33r:

Edited by KurtBleach

having a dunce moment (i get them a lot. :rofl3: ) and can't remember best way to go about installing/using a wireless device or even checking if it's drivers are already installed or not and it just needs setting up with network manage or yast.

been to long since i've done anything wireless,

so lets hope someone else will give you guidance :mrgreen:

but until that time i think the best thing is if you can give us the make model and even a link where to buy one, then i can start googling and try to find a good how to guide for you to follow, or at least give me the info i need to write the steps you need to follow.

not sure if it showing up there means the drivers are installed, like i said having a dunce moment, but yes it probably would, and then it should just be a case of either using network manager (preferred method for laptops where you may need to change wireless networks) or yast and network settings to enter the ssid and encryption.

anyway kurt plug in the adaptor then open a terminal and type in

lsusb
then copy and paste the output from the terminal into next reply.

Edited by terry1966

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0586:340f ZyXEL Communications Corp. G-220 v2 802.11bg

from what i can find out that ZyXEL G-220 should just work.

so either use yast, network devices, network settings and configure the wlan connection or while in network settings click the global options tab and put the dot next to "User Controlled with Network Manager" instead of "traditional Method with ifup" click ok and save the changes then reboot your pc and use network manager to connect to your router.

here's suse's link on setting up wifi. :- http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:WiFi

Man, that is way over my head.

First off, when I tried the first YaST method, I was prompted to install firmware from the vendor site - which I did, only to find out it's a Windows .exe file. Then I put my vendor CD in the drive (that's another question - where are the drives listed in the directory?) and I got a list of drivers but no way of knowing which is which, and an .apm file I tried to open in YaST and failed. (Later, I Googled .apm and found it is also a Windows file.)

Second, I can't find any knetwork manager on my box. There's no icon in the system tray and no listing in the start menu.

So I'm pretty much stuck using the cat5 cable for now, though I think eventually the bedroom door closing on it will break it and I'll buy another.

Peace.

Edited by KurtBleach

what first yast method?

from what i understand there are no drivers to install, they are built into the kernel.

click on yast

enter password

in yast click on network devices on the left

on the right click on network settings

in the network settings window you will see a tab top left called global options click on it.

now in the network setup box click on "User Controlled with Network Manager" so the dot is next to it.

now click the ok button at bottom to save and close the window.

now reboot your pc and when it starts up you should see the network manager icon at bottom left of your taskbar.

now see if you can see any wireless networks and connect to your router.

Edited by terry1966

By "first YaST method" I meant by trying to configure the wlan connection manually, which is where I was prompted to install firmware.

Today I tried it just the way you spelled it out in your last post. There was no network manager icon on the taskbar after reboot. I search the whole start menus and even ran a cnf command in terminal for "knetworkmanager" and found nothing. So I went into the "Search and Launch" thing on the taskbar and added the network management widget. It to the right of my clock as I type this, when I open it - it shows that I'm solidly connected at 100M/bits (sweet). So I opened it up like shown in the openSUSE link you posted - and no matter whether I try to use Scan to find the network or type in the configuration myself, I get nothing.

So, I'll tell you what, people - I'm not going to waste any more of yours or my time on this dongle. It's faster with the cable anyway. If it does eventually break, Staples is like 5 minutes away and it only costs $20 for a cable.

So thanks for the help on this issue, I consider it resolved.

See all of you soon in whatever next new thread I post as I continue my Linux journey.

P.S. A little cheerier news - I did go ahead and get some repos (including Packman). I grabbed chkrootkit and ran it - clean.

Can anyone recommend a good antivirus (tried the one in the pinned thread - no go)? I know Linux is mad safer than Windows, but when you're as new as me to it, protection = good.

don't need reel time protection but if you want to be safe and scan files before opening them or passing them to a windows pc, use clamav, probably easier if you use a gui frontend like klamav. (in repo.'s)

if you want i will see if i can find out more info on that dongle and what firmware that it might need installed.

ok lets try this and see if we can get your wireless working.

download the zd1211-firmware file from here :- http://sourceforge.n...s/zd1211/files/

go to where you saved it, right click on it and click extract here.

now drag and drop the extracted zd1211 file into the /lib/firmware folder, do a reboot and see if it now works.

you might need to open dolphin as a super user to drop the file into the /lib/firmware folder, can't remember for sure but don't think you'll have write permissions otherwise, because it's a root folder.

Edited by terry1966

mmmmmmmmm bloke last time i looked. :mrgreen:

pm received and answered.

bugs me tho that the dongle doesn't work, even if you never use it after. :rofl3:

glad you got it working, but what you've done is exactly what i said to do in post 40, except you've used a repo to get the firmware file and install it to lib/firmware, not that it matters just as long as it's now working. :rofl3:

well done. :clap:

Actually, terry, I think it's a different file, as the one I got before came as a folder called zd1211-firmware, where this one is just called zd1211.

But all's well that ends well, so it's all good. Have a cold Bass on me. :):b33r: