Sign in to follow this  
mme

Windows 8 preview

I do not think I'll try W8. I think it's mostly aimed at the tablet market and not for desktops

Works fine on the desktop. Seeing some quirks with IE10 but its expected of course. Definitely snappier than W7, seems to use less resources, takes some getting used to but i'm really liking it so far. I ran the X3 3d benchmark and averaged 4fps more. I will run PC mark later and do direct comparison later. The App store is looking very nice indeed, quite a few apps there already. Best of all, I never had to install any drivers, everything worked amazingly right out of install.

yes it does use less resources. Windows was loosing out big time in the tablet market because they could not run on a tablet, but as Microsoft's standard once again.....always a day late and a dollar short of hitting the market timing for new products

I installed Win 8 yesterday. Before doing it I was told Microsoft Security Essentials would have to be uninstalled. After doing so Windows Defender was activated again in Win 8 and although I have not installed a new antivirus program, Windows is not asking for one. Security must be built in and not shown? I downloaded a file and when completed a security scan was automatically run. If I right click on the file there is no Scan with on the menu. Anyone know?

I just installed consumer review windows 8 yesterday and tried MS Essentials just now. I installed in compatibility mode for windows 7 because I didn't see an 8 version yet. Then I installed as administrator. It went in and I rebooted to to be sure. I have the icon in the taskbar near the clock and did a quick scan. It's working here. During the install it did turn off windows defender so it must be running in the back ground

The biggest problem I'm having with 8 is trying to figure out how to shut down/restart without having to use Ctrl/Alt/Del like you would in windows 98.

Edited by Joe C

To shut down go to the lower right side and the above the clock and you will get the five symbols. Click on Settings and you will get a shut down option.

Sorry for the resurrection but this seemed like a good spot. I tried Windows8 first during the developers preview and now again with the consumer preview. There are some good things but overall it's a bit cumbersome. I used it exclusively for the past two weeks but there were some bugs that made it necessary to stop. Some issues with Zip files, moving files. Files being added and or lost.

Here's a link to a shell that's better than some of the past tweaks for the start menu. IG sent me this.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Microsoft needs to pay attention to this. People want the start menu and the things that makes windows ....windows!

If they want to run on an arm processor and in tablets then they need a specific version and not the generic windows 8 name that attracts peeps with desktops