Sign in to follow this  
Sanford

why is my skype video showing upside down?

My Asus n82jq laptop is showing the outgoing video upside down when I use skype. The incoming video is showing fine, though.

This happens when I'm using linux 11 or windows 7

how do I download a different driver for it , as I was reading a post on the skpe forum which suggested that's the problem.

I was given a suggestion to try cheese , which I did , and when I tested it the camera shows fine. It also had an invert /flip option which worked fine as well. I was looking for something like this in skype but there was no option for this.

when I googled it I found others with the same issue , but the solution they suggested didn't work for me. All they said was to try re-installing skype, which I did and found that I already had the latest version.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/all-other-hardware/76982-webcam-image-upside-down-skype.html

Edited by Sanford

huh, seriously, you're not Farking with me are you? when did microsoft acquire skype?

are you suggesting abandon it for linux , or completely?

Doesn't work properly when I'm using windows 7 either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype

Skype is a proprietary voice-over-Internet Protocol service and software application originally created by Niklas Zennström, and owned by Microsoft since 2011.

microsoft will screw it up and make a mess of it, that is for certain. i merely suggested getting the google+ account and use it's hangout feature instead of using skype.

too many people having issues sanford.

major companies dropping it because of security and instability issues.

when i stated to abandon, it's because microsoft claims to release something stable, yet that is far from the truth.

that said, i don't trust it.

you can continue to use it, however you must report the bug to microsoft and hope that they care enough to fix it.

from the liars that they are claiming it to be stable, i seriously doubt you will get help from them.

ok, now I understand where you're coming from.

no love for MS , huh?

I guess you mainly use linux? what distro are you using?

I found this guy on youtube talking about the webcam issues with skype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWi2wKxchMw

I also have an old logitech camera which I also tried , but that one didn't work either. I couldn't even get it to work whatsoever.

The ASUS webcam is literally mounted upside down in the LCD frame. I have been through this with two ASUS laptops. It has nothing to do with skype or any other application, ASUS uses software to flip the picture.

I will have to locate the workaround I used to use and will post back.

The ASUS webcam is literally mounted upside down in the LCD frame. I have been through this with two ASUS laptops. It has nothing to do with skype or any other application, ASUS uses software to flip the picture.

I will have to locate the workaround I used to use and will post back.

+1 (can't remember the work around either.)

i still use skype on linux and probably will for a long time still. :tup:

:b33r:

give google+ hangout a go.

I guess you mainly use linux? what distro are you using?

opensuse and kubuntu, kubuntu may end up on the chopping block, if so i'll head towards debian with kde.

google not something i want to use at the moment especially with their new privacy rules, seems to be causing a big uproar especially in the android and mobile phone market.

so don't think i'll be giving hangout a try any time soon, and beside i'd probably need to get all my friends to change as well, which is more of a pain than if it was just me that needed to change from skype.

ok, doesn't look like it worked , here's what I got when I entered that script in terminal

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:2802): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:2802): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

** (<unknown>:2802): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/Radiocheck/check-shadow-out.png: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (<unknown>:2802): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/Radiocheck/checkbg.png: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

** (<unknown>:2802): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:

/usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/Radiocheck/checkbg.png,

borders don't fit within the image

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:2802): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

** (<unknown>:2802): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:

/usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/Radiocheck/checkbg.png,

borders don't fit within the image

** (<unknown>:2802): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X-Metal/gtk-2.0/Radiocheck/check-p-shadow-out.png: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

is this supposed to work with linux Mint as well? the tutorial said it was working for Fedora.

google not something i want to use at the moment especially with their new privacy rules, seems to be causing a big uproar especially in the android and mobile phone market. so don't think i'll be giving hangout a try any time soon, and beside i'd probably need to get all my friends to change as well, which is more of a pain than if it was just me that needed to change from skype. :b33r:

I've read more than a few articles saying the android OS has the most security flaws.

I use Skype. It works. Not a M$ fan but it's the most used video chat software, which is important when trying to communicate with others.

Asus does some weird stuff. What is the advantage of mounting the camera upside down? There's some weird stuff installed on Windows laptops by default on their laptops (several items in a different language under add/remove programs). There's a few other nuances I noticed after selling them for a few months, not big deals, just odd choices.

google not something i want to use at the moment especially with their new privacy rules

privacy is best achieved these days by disconnecting from the web, if your on a land line phone, cut the cable, if it's a cell phone, burn it.

if your talking with a friend about that constipation issue, who's to say this news won't spread like wild fire :rofl3:

but it's a fact that google is completely open when it comes to privacy and what is used from communications.

Asus does some weird stuff. What is the advantage of mounting the camera upside down?

I'm guessing its the only way they can get it to fit , maybe ? and they figure it can be worked around with the software.

privacy is best achieved these days by disconnecting from the web, if your on a land line phone, cut the cable, if it's a cell phone, burn it.

if your talking with a friend about that constipation issue, who's to say this news won't spread like wild fire :rofl3:

but it's a fact that google is completely open when it comes to privacy and what is used from communications.

That last line couldn't be further from the truth.

i believe you need to do a reboot after installing v4l drivers before it is loaded and the fix works, not 100% sure now tho so may be way off the mark.

duan :- http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=googles+new+privacy+policy&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

i expect a certain amount of privacy on the net and from the little i've read google seem to be overstepping the mark now.

Asus does some weird stuff. What is the advantage of mounting the camera upside down?

none just careless instalation by the builder in my opinion.

which part of that last line adam? :P

what is used can vary, them being completely open when it comes to privacy, unless you know something different maybe you can share.

the bit i don't like is the way they say the only way out is to stop using their products, glad i don't have any google accounts, so doesn't effect me as just a user of their search engine or google earth.

terry it hasn't changed much like i stated, but it always had the ability to opt out.

Transparency and choice

People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:

• Review and control certain types of information tied to your Google Account by using Google Dashboard.
  • View and edit your ad preferences, such as which categories might interest you, using the Ad Preferences Manager. You can also opt out of certain Google advertising services here.
  • Use our editor to see and adjust how your Google Profile appears to particular individuals.
  • Control who you share information with.
  • Take information out of many of our services.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, we may not remember your language preferences.

Edited by duanester