Sign in to follow this  
pickster

Hard drive says 37 GB after I put in a WD 160 GB

I recently installed a WD 160 GB hard drive to replace my 38 GB hard drive. I copied the contents of the old hard drive and copied it to my new hard drive. My computer still says it's a 38 GB hard drive. What do I need to do to get the hard drive to read 160 GB? When i try to download a movie I get a disk is full message since there's only 38 GB instead of 160 GB. Do I need to move a jumper? Thanks

What version of Windows are you running? Which program and/or method was used to copy the data?

My guess is that a straight byte-for-bute copy was done. That would exactly duplicate the file structure of the 38 GB disk, including information about the partition size, used space and free space, etc. If the disk is examined with the disk management tool (DiskMgmt.msc), likely a large unallocated portion will be reported.

If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, it might be possible to "extend" the partition with DiskMgmt. To do this, right-click the partition and click Extend Volume, then follow the prompts. If the option is disabled, or you're using a previous version of Windows, a 3rd-party utility might manage the task.

Another method would be to abandon this copy attempt and redo it with another utility. My preference is Acronis True Image, which includes options for automatic partition resizing, and can expand a single partition, or proportionally distribute the additional capacity among multiple partitions and logical drives.

I'm currently running XP professional, When I run diskmgmt and click on expand, it still says 37.2 GB and the expanded say 109 GB. I used seagate to copy the files from my dell dimension computer. I have the jumpers set to cable

You drive was partitioned. you need to initialize the 109 gb's, and format it to be useable space. If you want the entire drive for windows then you'll need a third party application to remove the empty 109 gb partition and add it to the 37 gb partition.

Edited by Joe C

I'm currently running XP professional, When I run diskmgmt and click on expand, it still says 37.2 GB and the expanded say 109 GB. I used seagate to copy the files

I'd guess that you mean "Seagate DiscWizard". This is actually a customized version of Acronis True Image, branded with the Seagate name, that appears to have most of the functionality of the Acronis retail product.

Given your problem description, it is clear that the Clone Disc function was used to transfer the data. The most safe and speedy option now is to simply redo the entire procedure, selecting Diisc Utilities and Clone Disc, but select Automatic. This feature automatically expands the partition to use the new hard disc's entire capacity. You will be prompted to remove the existing partition, which you must allow in order to proceed.

If you prefer to use the Manual option, then when you are prompted for the Moving Method, select Proportional.

The program manual is available from www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf; a tutorial video can be viewed at support.seagate.com/kbimg/flash/laptop/laptop.html.

Edited by TomGL2