Sign in to follow this  
Missohmygod

Suddenly my computer won't connect to the Internet

Go through the routine in Device Manager that the guys outlined to uninstall the adapter and allow Windows to reinstall on boot up.

In the command prompt,(ipconfig /all), does it now list the ethernet adapter Description?

:) Y

I just said I just did the uninstall and windows reinstalled and booted up and what it says in ipconfig?!?! I don't know if your asking me to do it again or... Is this somehog different

Incase u missed it physical address is all 00-00-00-00-00 and the media state is still media disconnected I uninstalled the driver and let windows re install it 2 times, the driver is from 2008 should I get an updated one?

Sorry, I was hoping that the Mac address and the Description of the Ethernet Device may have been listed in the "ipconfig /all" command prompt this time after going through the BIOS.

I guess not. :(

Well, I did some more hunting and I may have found a way out.

Now I never tried this, so I can't verify if it'll work, but at this point, I'd give macshift a try.

Get yourself familiar with it and download it here: http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/

I saw it described and remedied a similar problem here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=209982

Ok I think I got the right one when it was downloading said Realtek restarted and still no change

You did install it after downloading, right??

:geezer:

ok so 2 wireless cards install but wont connect to the internet . so the wireless cards urs and the one borrowed does both of then not show the MAC if both dont then its obvouse its not the cards its the computer and is it a laptop by any chance? maybe an alienware ? In the past ive had friends have this laptop and the older ones i know are faulty and get to hot and short out the componetes. so if its not the card and if both cards wont show the mac addresses and u can't get the card to contect to a network or internet then its software or hardware. so if u install different wireless cards and it doesnt work then do this . try hooking up ur computer via ethernet cable to the modem or router and see if that works if it does that tells us that it shouldnt be a vrius or anything like that (i say shouldnt ) thats stoping the wireless cards from working right.ok so if u install a different wireless card and it didnt work and its a different driver that was installed then im thinking maybe it the connection of the mother board that seats the witeless card might be messed up and id get that looked at . Now Virues can also stop ur devices from working to but normally if it attackes the wireless card it attacks the normal NIC card but not always . so making sure ur compueter is clean is important . now if ur using the same type of wireless card that uses the same driver as the one that u had in there then u might try hard wiring to the modem or router and uninstall the wireless driver completely so the computer on reboot would have to look on the internet for the driver and see if that works (thats if the internet works when u have it hard wired to ur computer )

That post was a little hard for me to follow, no laptop this Is a desktop and I always use an Ethernet cable and was using one when it stopped working. I only put the wireless in to see if the problem was that card. I also reformatted the computer and there is nothing on it but windows...??? Does that answer everything u were asking?

Does your pc have an on board ethernet or a pci/pci-e card? If it's an onboard ethernet (most are) try getting a pci/pci-e card and try that. I know you tried a wireless but there are a lot of other factors invo0lved with wireless and could be another problem with that. At this point you can not tell if it was a wireless issue or your pc. That's why I think you might want to try a pci card

No Missed that post, I will try that next time I'm at another CPU with connection. Sorry I missed it it's hard to follow on a phone, thank you for all the help hope this one does it

Ok, let's give this thing a whirl.

Put the macshift.exe file on your C drive, so that it's location is C:macshift.exe

Next, go to the Network and Sharing Center and look to the left side.

Click on "Change Adapter Settings"

What is the exact name listed for your adapter?

If there is no name, then right click it and choose "rename", and let's call it connection1.

Let us know when you have the file in place and what is the name of the adapter.

When I put c:/macshift into cmd it gives me options -I adapter name

-r random Mac address

- d restores origanial Mac address

- help

But I don't know what to do with it

I tried to put c:/macshift/-I unidentified network

But I keep getting this is not a command

Help I don't understand any of this

Find the name of the adapter or let's rename it: connection1

see my post above on how to locate it.

Cool.

Go to Start, then type: cmd

When you see the command console icon above, Right click it and choose "Run as Administrator"

In the console type: cd c:macshift

Hit the Enter key

Now type: macshift -r -i "connection1"

Hit the Enter key

Try to honor the space inbetween each command and each switch.

Run ipconfig /all

Let us know if there was any change.