Sign in to follow this  
Z4CK56

Computer keeps freezing - HJT log

Computer is ok so far. Last night i believe it did freeze again but i can't remember. Usually why i try to edit the post to say it froze right after the fact lol. Anyways, i ran the sfc scan again and it said it found errors i actually managed to find the sfc log, (CBS.log, it was a .txt but i think it was the same thing. There was also a CBS.persist.txt file in there do you need that too?)

Uninstalled ComboFix ok, unfortunately it didn't fix the skype/mozilla/ie/etc issues (not sure if that was the issues you were talking about)

I do believe the no restore point showing up in the DDS logs is because i forgot to turn off my antivirus (not sure if thats the issue, im assuming so). If so would you like me to run it again? Because i know i have restore points set, i had recently (before we started talking) attempted a system restore but for some odd reason it failed, i never found out why it failed too.

Fortunately my computer has a partitioned drive with a backup manager on it so i can restore my computer to factory settings (do you think that is the best option at this point?) and i am prepared to do it i have a 1tb external hd just because last time my computer was having issues i ended having to restore to factory settings and i lost a bunch of stuff. now a days i do regular backups. So if the need arises i am completely fine with a restore.

i am about to run the norton removal tool, i just wanted to get this in before i forgot.

ill post the cbs log in the next reply since its long.

EDIT:

Ooookay then i guess i wont. The file is so big everytime i try copy and pasting it crashes my browser and i tried to upload it but its over the file limit size.

Edited by Z4CK56

OK/your last post acknowledged...

If I feel the need I will indeed advise you invoke your machines Recovery Partition, however I will await the outcome of your next reply for now. :)

I am actually unable to post the sfc logfile. everytime i try to copy/paste it into here safari/chrome crashes due to the huge size of the file. It is also above the limit on the file attachment for here.

The norton removal tool removed norton successfully and my computer didn't auto restart so i ran ccleaner and restarted anyways.

I'm going to go ahead and just restore my computer to factory settings. It seems that is the best option at this point. I apologize if i'm "jumping the gun" on you and messing with how you go about things, i really appreciated all of the help you have given me, i am extremely grateful. This just seems the best choice at this point and the most effiecient way to get rid of whatever it is that is crippling my computer. Once i am done i will be sure to post on how i faired, and how my computer is doing.

Computer is going great, restore went very smooth, updated windows and redownloaded my anti-virus. Reinstalled my wireless cards driver and my video card driver. So far looking good.

Hi. :)

I am actually unable to post the sfc logfile. everytime i try to copy/paste it into here safari/chrome crashes due to the huge size of the file. It is also above the limit on the file attachment for here.

You could have sent it to a zip-file and then in turn posted as a attachment. My apologies as I forgot to mention that....

The norton removal tool removed norton successfully and my computer didn't auto restart so i ran ccleaner and restarted anyways.

Fair play.

I'm going to go ahead and just restore my computer to factory settings. It seems that is the best option at this point. I apologize if i'm "jumping the gun" on you and messing with how you go about things, i really appreciated all of the help you have given me, i am extremely grateful. This just seems the best choice at this point and the most effiecient way to get rid of whatever it is that is crippling my computer.

Not a problem in the least and you're most welcome!

Far as I am concerned what you opt to do with your machine is at your own discretion and I always respect such with anyone I assist both here in PC Pitstop and other forums etc. Though to be honest after nearly a month and we had been unable to rectify all issues...invoking the Recovery Partition too in turn perform a Factory Reset was the most prudent course of action and I probably would have been advising such anyway at some point.

Computer is going great, restore went very smooth, updated windows and redownloaded my anti-virus. Reinstalled my wireless cards driver and my video card driver. So far looking good.

Good news indeed! Below is some advice for your good self...

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• Click on Start(Vista Orb) >> All Programs >> Windows Update.
  • In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
  • After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
  • Click to select the check box for any found, then click Install.
  • When completed Reboot(restart) your computer if not prompted to do so.
Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.

Never open emails from unknown senders.

Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.

Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice is avoid these types of software applications.

Hosts File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

Install WinPatrol:

WinPatrol alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Ok so i read over all your advice and have been getting on my computer for a few days to make sure nothing is still wrong and its looking great. At first it seemed to be running really slow and applications freezing alot but it turned out that was because i had so many microsoft updates to install so i held off on doing anything intensive until i had the majority of updates installed.

Thanks again for your help. You were amazingly helpful and its much appreciated! :D

You're welcome! :)

--------------

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad I could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.