Sign in to follow this  
quo_status

To Copy IE8 History?

I'm wanting to save/copy my History from InternetExplorer 8, and I have located it under AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/History

However I cannot click and drag the history files any where it seems. I would like to complete this so I may do some deep cleaning on my laptop, and not to lose such info as it will likely be erased in the process.

I am using Win7 as my OS, on laptop (and running in safemode, normal mode has wild scumware running amuk.)

You can back up your browser settings in IE9, right click at the top of IE in the toolbar area, you should get a box pop up that gives you the option to check the Menu Bar option. From the menu bar, select File, in the drop down box, select Import/Export. In the Import/Export settings box, select Export to a File, select where you want to save your browsers settings.

I do not know if that will save your history, but you'll want to back up your settings and Favorites (book marks) anyway.

Edited by Joe C

Thank you for trying Joe, but this hasnt helped my situation.

If anyone has suggestions please let it be known, Id like to get this done before doing some deep clearnup which i must do. Appreciated!

Hi

Just following this thread and when I went to NirSoft link I got this

Posted Image

Hence no IEHistoryView

Regards

El Tel

El Tel,

When you click on the "More Information" drop down from the IE warning, you can view the "Why" the site has been labeled by IE this way:

This website has been reported to contain the following threats:

[*]Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

No malicious people allowed! :lol:

Some of the utilities have been flagged with "False-Positives" from various AV utilities. Here's a list:

http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

IE is the only browser that flagged the site from the 4 that I tried.

:) Y

Hi Y

Normally when I see something like that red screen. Panic sets in thinking it's some kind of virus attack and I'm looking to get out as quick as I can, even pulled the plug on 2 occasions when the browser wouldn't close. But this time I hit print screen 1st. I've never clicked on "Go to my home page instead". Assuming that was the virus payload, the bit that does the damage; the lead you into a false sense of security.

After reading your reply, clicking more information, I noted that there was the option to report it as "I think this is a safe website" so I did.

On the red screen in big letters, it should say that it is part of "Microsoft Smartscreen Filter" which I had forgot was turned on.

Thanks for your help, I did get to nirsoft in the end.

Regards

El Tel

Absolutely nothing wrong with being Safe rather than Sorry.

I've used nirsoft's offerings in the past and was surprised to see them being flagged. Understanding the "why" it was flagged is important and that should be presented upfront to the surfer visiting.

Spoofed and hijacked sites are a reality today, so it is always better to err on the side of Safety first.

Even some of the "so called" protective applications that are available have been known to down-grade a website based on what appears to be personnel bias as opposed to facts.

WOT is one of these: http://www.mywot.com/

Nothing is 100% accurate, but not everything on the web is infected either. lol! :lol:

Glad that you will get the chance to use some of the tools there at nirsoft.............. remember not to be used by malicious people. ;)

:) Y

save/copy my History

Press Win+R to open the Run dialog, type shell:history and click OK to open the folder. Right-click the folder icon at the upper left and click Copy. Right-click the Desktop and click Paste.