Sign in to follow this  
em1500uk

Getting WPA2 in Windows XP SP3

I'm thinking of getting broadband with Plusnet, but before I place an order, I want to sort out this wireless network adapter that I've bought so that I'm able to connect to the internet (the router will be downstairs in the hallway and my PC will be in a bedroom upstairs).

I've Googled a bit about wireless security and WPA2. It should be supported on XP SP3, but when people get around to configuring their wireless network, they don't get WPA2 as an encryption option.

I did see this post on another forum (link here):

I too had the "No WPA2" problem when adding a Belkin wireless usb adapter N150 to XP SPK3. Removing the software and adding it through the device manager did the trick. I would add however:

Have the wireless adapter software CD inserted into your CD drive before starting the install from Device Manager.

From the menu bar choose Action, then click "scan for new hardware".

Select "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)" on the first page of the Found New Hardware Wizard. Hit Next.

Then check "Search From Removable Media ( Floppy, CD Rom). Hit Next.

Windows should search and find the drivers on the cd.

If you have the drivers in another location just check "include this location in the search" and browse to that location.

So, to get the WPA2 option, does that mean I'll have to put in the CD, cancel the setup.exe and go into the device manager and do what the person above says with regards to looking on the CD to get the drivers, then restart the PC (presumably?) and then plug the adapter in? Or, do I just follow the CDs setup.exe and follow the instructions that came with the adapter?

Hope someone can help!

Edited by em1500uk

Well, I plugged in the adapter and used the CD to find its drivers (without installing the program that came with it) and now when I go into Wireless Network Connection > Change the order of preferred networks > Wireless Networks tab > 'Add' > then look in the 'Association' tab it shows all this:

Posted ImagePosted Image

I take it this means that my XP SP3 does support WPA2 encryption? I know the wireless adapter supported it as it said on the box, but I just wasn't sure my system did...

Does that also mean that when I configure my router that my ISP sends me to all my own info (own network SSID and password) that that's the way I'll need to set up my wireless connection in order to connect to the wireless network securely? Also, if I turn off the SSID broadcast in the router, I guess I'll need to check 'connect even if this network is not broadcasting' under the network SSID bit?

Edited by em1500uk

Well, I plugged in the adapter and used the CD to find its drivers (without installing the program that came with it) and now when I go into Wireless Network Connection > Change the order of preferred networks > Wireless Networks tab > 'Add' > then look in the 'Association' tab it shows all this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/130330/how_to_secure_your_wireless_network.html

http://compnetworkin...inwindowsxp.htm

Hope it helps...

:geezer:

It's your wireless router that has to support WPA2, and you can get the SSID and the wireless network key from the router if it has one. If not then you need to log into the router and set one up. What brand and model is your router? Someone can tell you the ip addy of the router in order to access it and set it up. You should already know the password to access the router, and if you do not then is there a reason that you don't?

Edited by Joe C