Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

Alright.....

O.K. gang, lets hear it...

Thank you David...Thank you David...Thank you David... :clap:

agreed - Well Done David -- good job!! :cheers::tup:

what did the culprit turn out to be? A combination of things? A glitch that was discovered?

what did the culprit turn out to be? A combination of things? A glitch that was discovered?

All of the above!

Thank you David "Y" :)

I'm happy to have been able to play a part in the fix, but it was/is a team effort in getting to the root of the problem and everyone's participation did/is helping.

We are still running the queries in the data base to capture any further bumps in the road and by cross-referencing them to some of your reports in this thread has led to actions taken to remedy the problem(s).

We are planning on shutting the slow queries off on Monday and taking a thorough look at what we can do to iron out any remaining glitches.

Believe it or not, the crux of the problems were as an IPS representative put it, being a "victim of your own success". Many of us have quite a history and very high post numbers, when the Homepage or index was reached, this was inconsequential, however, when navigation began by clicking on a forum, all that history for Members that had posted in that forum, was being loaded into the data-base cache. Once it was loaded, the forum would open. This was one of the biggest culprets in bringing the lag.

This is why, seemingly, Members Profiles, GD, PD, U2U, & the HJT forums were creating the most lag. Members that have the most replys there carry quite a bit of history that was being loaded each time. This also explains why further navigation through the boards would behave better, because everything was already loaded in the cache. Leaving the boards and then returning later meant that the cache would need to be rebuilt for each of us.

Why this was going on is being investigated as well as other incongruities and thus, why we are running the slow-query over the week end. If you all do run into any further "bumps in the road", please do post them here as it makes it easier to cross-reference.

I'm sure glad we're getting this mess behind us. :tup:

:) Y

I see there are things turned off such as if you go in to GD, you can not see what members are viewing that forum. You can see if anyone is viewing the same thread though.

You also can not see which threads you have posted in, and can not change the skin. There may me more, but that's all I see right now.

Have these been turned off to help identify the problem child?

I see there are things turned off such as if you go in to GD, you can not see what members are viewing that forum. You can see if anyone is viewing the same thread though.

You also can not see which threads you have posted in, and can not change the skin. There may me more, but that's all I see right now.

Have these been turned off to help identify the problem child?

Yes. Exactly.

The plan is to re-institute, but we need to get over this hurdle first and then bring them back one at a time.

The slow-query logs didn't come back with anything consequential over the week-end, so we've got a good thing going right now with our current settings in place.

We are on target to be a part of IPS's new infrastructure with new hardware next month, so things should get even better as far as performance is concerned.

We thank you all for your patience, help and support.