Sign in to follow this  
Iconoclast

Can't Get 2nd Monitor To Work With Imac + Adapter

Hey gang,

I recently purchased a new 27" iMac computer which is great for my work...but I've got a 22" Samsung LCD monitor sitting at home from my old workstation that I'd like to setup as an extended desktop.

The iMac has a Mini DisplayPort in the back, and my monitor has a VGA cable with a VGA-to-DVI adapter on it.

I purchased a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter on eBay (it looks something like this), but when I connect my 2nd monitor to my iMac with it, it's as if the computer doesn't recognize the monitor as being a display...when I turn on the 2nd monitor, it just goes into standby mode as if it's not picking up anything to display. Could this be because I'm using 2 different adapters for the connection (1 for VGA to DVI and the other for DVI to the Mini DisplayPort)? Or could it be something wrong with my 2nd monitor? Although it was working fine before and I'd have no reason to think that anything has happened to it...plus, it turns on fine but when it can't find an "input signal" it goes into sleep mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this isn't working?

In case it makes any difference, I recently upgraded my Mac OS X to Lion when it was released, and am also running Boot Camp with Windows 7 Enterprise - I have tried using the 2nd monitor in both Mac and Windows and is is not recognized in either OS.

Please help! :)

The problem is you're trying to send a digital signal (both displayport and DVI are digital connections/signals) to an analogue connection (VGA). You need either a monitor with a DVI port on it (you didn't say the make and model of your Samsung or whether it has a DVI port), or a digital to analogue converter between the two for it to work.

Perfect! I didn't even realize that my Samsung monitor had a port for DVI input...I simply switched the cable from VGA to DVI and it worked with the Mini DisplayPort adapter that I purchased.

Thanks for your help! :)