Sign in to follow this  
Iconoclast

How To Copy Firefox Bookmarks From Docked Hdd To New Pc

Hi gang - please be sure to read the whole topic before answering, this isn't as simple as exporting a bookmarks.html file that I can write to a USB drive and transfer.

Here's my situation:

Recently my old PC crapped out on me (motherboard or video card, I'm not sure which, but the HDD is fine) so I bought a new computer. Today I picked up a hard drive dock from futureshop so that I can transfer the important data from my old hard drive to my new computer (music and work files mostly).

However, in my Firefox bookmarks I had a ton of saved favourites that pointed to guitar tabsheets that I had found online and collected over the years...there must have been several hundred of them...I would very much like to get them back.

My question (and believe me, I've Google searched up and down for this, but no one seems to have the same problem as me) is how can I transfer the bookmarks from this old hard drive to my new computer when I can't access the browser to export my old bookmarks? I've tried browsing to the /appdata/mozilla/firefox/profiles folder like I've read in several places online, but there doesn't appear to be anything in that folder that I can use to restore my old bookmarks.

Can anyone help me?

open firefox, click on Bookmarks look for the Import and Back up tab and select restore. If your old operating system was XP, you'll need go show hidden folders and go to Drive letter\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\??file name is whatever??\bookmark backups. Select a file date you need and import it into your firefox browser

Hi gang - please be sure to read the whole topic before answering, this isn't as simple as exporting a bookmarks.html file that I can write to a USB drive and transfer.

Here's my situation:

Recently my old PC crapped out on me (motherboard or video card, I'm not sure which, but the HDD is fine) so I bought a new computer. Today I picked up a hard drive dock from futureshop so that I can transfer the important data from my old hard drive to my new computer (music and work files mostly).

However, in my Firefox bookmarks I had a ton of saved favourites that pointed to guitar tabsheets that I had found online and collected over the years...there must have been several hundred of them...I would very much like to get them back.

My question (and believe me, I've Google searched up and down for this, but no one seems to have the same problem as me) is how can I transfer the bookmarks from this old hard drive to my new computer when I can't access the browser to export my old bookmarks? I've tried browsing to the /appdata/mozilla/firefox/profiles folder like I've read in several places online, but there doesn't appear to be anything in that folder that I can use to restore my old bookmarks.

Can anyone help me?

The whole folder you have found can be copied into the same location on your new computer. When copying it there choose the option to replace, overwrite the old folder and all of its contents, then when you open firefox again everything should be just like it was on the old computer.

I tried both of these things, and neither worked:

I copied the contents of my old profiles folder to my new computer and overwrote the existing files/folders, but when I open Firefox, it's still the same default bookmarks (empty) that come with the browser when you first install it.

I also tried to do a bookmark restore, but when I browse to that folder on my old hard drive, there are no files to select...here's what it looks like:

Old_HDD\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\11cyorfg.default\

Inside this folder are these folders and files:

Cache

OfflineCache

startupCache

urlclassifier3.sqlite

XUL.mfl

If I try to do a restore, it appears as though the browser is looking specifically for a "JSON" filetype, which doesn't seem to be in that profiles folder (unless it's somewhere further down, but I don't think it should/would be :/)

Can anyone help?

Edited by Iconoclast

I suggestion was for the newer version of firefox (5.0), for version 3.5 or earlier? you can read this to see if you can get your bookmarks

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

If you read that web site, there are links that will tell you how you can create a profile and put the .sql folder in the profile

Thanks for the links...but I still can't seem to do it. I read all through how to manage profiles and everything, but it's as if the data I need isn't on my old hard drive for some reason (yet the bookmarks worked fine on it).

One of the instructions is this:

Copy the entire contents of the profile folder backup, such as the mimeTypes.rdf file, prefs.js file, bookmarkbackups folder, etc.

As I said above, I do not have any folders or files such as this in my profile folder...it's as if they are missing.

My old computer was running Firefox 4, and on my new computer I've just installed Firefox 5, if that makes any difference.

Edited by Iconoclast

. I had an incidental problem with importing thunderbird email from an older version to a newer version....just fought me tooth and nail. Fortunately I was able to upgrade the t-bird version on the old drive and then import the email to another drive with the same version. I can't say if firefox bookmarks are the same type of situation. You might try to remove the newer version of firefox, then install the same version that's on the old hard drive and see if moving the .sql folder from the old drive to your current drive will work (the older version of FF might be able to open the folder that is not compatible with newer versions of FF) Obviously, you can't upgrade the version that's on the old drive

Completely remove all traces of the current firefox version you now have

http://wvistathemes....nstall-firefox/

older versions of firefox

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

If all that works, you can then make a back up of your bookmarks (for safe keeping) and then upgrade to the newest version of FF

Edited by Joe C

I just looked on my old XP hard drive which has an older version of FF on it....You only listed 5 files and I have a lot more than that including a folder labled "Bookmark backups" with .json files in it.

Posted Image

your missing some things on that hard drive, you might try a recovery software to see if it can find your missing files.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Did this older pc have a virus?

Edited by Joe C