Sign in to follow this  
morbidbutterfly

Prepping Your Computer For Disposal

Good sense information.

In our town we take recycled electronics.

Many of the computers we get could be re-used by people who have no means to buy computer.

Unfortunately people do one of two things.

1) They bring it in with all the data still on it.

2) They smash and destroy the hardware.

When I go through the machines that are left, when I find something worth saving I bring it home.

1) The machine gets formatted and a clean OS installed.

2) Good computers go completely to waste out of ignorance and stupidity.

The article of course describes things that the average person just won't bother doing, that said it is excellent advice.

People, please, please if you are throwing out a working computer, or even one that you think doesn't work, DO NOT smash hardware components. There are thousands of people out there who could get use out of the old junk you think is useless.

Unfortunately people do one of two things.

1) They bring it in with all the data still on it.

2) They smash and destroy the hardware.

When I go through the machines that are left, when I find something worth saving I bring it home.

1) The machine gets formatted and a clean OS installed.

2) Good computers go completely to waste out of ignorance and stupidity.

The article of course describes things that the average person just won't bother doing, that said it is excellent advice.

People, please, please if you are throwing out a working computer, or even one that you think doesn't work, DO NOT smash hardware components. There are thousands of people out there who could get use out of the old junk you think is useless.

I agree with Bruce here, I have one right now that I got at the local landfill. It was owned by the county/and or had county information on it. I gave it a format and clean install of Windows 7 and an extra stick of RAM and it's sitting here feeding the TV right now with internet video. (reruns of Alf from Hulu or ch131)

:geezer: