Sign in to follow this  
xyphr3

Which Way To Hook Up Tv To Internet

Greetings to the PIT. :) I was wondering what is the easiest way to hook up my non-internet enabled Vizio TV (SV470XVT1A) to the internet. Currently, I am using my laptop to connect via HDMI to the TV to watch shows (Netflix, youtube, EPSN, ABC, FOX, any website that shows their TV shows online). Bad thing is, I can't use my laptop to check e-mail, etc...while watching TV. I was wondering what my options were? It has to be able to use add-on's to be able to watch the different website's shows. Buy a laptop (maybe netbook) to keep connected to the TV? I have a Wii and while I know I can watch Netflix, I don't think I would be able to watch all of the different shows. What else? Possibly hook up a desktop through wireless from a different bedroom? Any and all help is appreciated. I hope if you have today off (Memorial Day) you are enjoying it! Thanks again.

All you should need to do when the TV is connected is to set it to extended mode (run dual monitors/displays), that will allow you to use both the laptop screen and the TV at the same time. Just drag the app/browser to the TV to watch, and you can check your email/etc on the laptop.

All you should need to do when the TV is connected is to set it to extended mode (run dual monitors/displays), that will allow you to use both the laptop screen and the TV at the same time. Just drag the app/browser to the TV to watch, and you can check your email/etc on the laptop.

True, I appreciate the suggestion. I have done that in the past, but the main problem is, I don't want to sit 5 ft in front of the TV and I would not like to get a long cord because I have two crazy dogs running around. I would prefer something closer/next to the TV that is solely for the TV. (This is really not about buying a DVR or cable service)

One thing I have been thinking about is if I buy a netbook, the graphic card would be poor, so I would have to upgrade to a higher laptop/tower system to have a decent video card to watch TV with. Am I being crazy?

Edited by xyphr3